Mummy Carrie...

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy Carrie...

Postby Carrie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first time to KSP... I know this site thru my colleague... May I know is there any good phonics school for K1 child... As my boy is going to PCF on 2009... I read so many people talking about "ZooPronics", "I CAN READ" and etc...

My boy is smart as he know what are we asking him, before answering us...He is smart at talking back to us too... We speak english at hm. But however, I need to update my english too... :oops:
But he is very lazy when i ask him to practise writing at home.. He cannot concentate and focus, keep asking me question, by :"when can i watch my tom & jerry".. haha

Carrie
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby phantom » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi Carrie, Welcome to KSP!

I send my kid to a Montessori preschool where they teach phonics as well, so I do not need to send him to additional phonics class. That is a very viable option.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby Carrie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:34 pm

phantom wrote:Hi Carrie, Welcome to KSP!

I send my kid to a Montessori preschool where they teach phonics as well, so I do not need to send him to additional phonics class. That is a very viable option.

Hahaha... I just reply you on the other side (Newbies)... Cos, i'm a single mother... So I have some limit too... My boy is going to PAP for his K1...in the morning. That's y, i tot of letting him learn pronics... :P

Carrie
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:20 pm

Carrie wrote:

Hahaha... I just reply you on the other side (Newbies)... Cos, i'm a single mother... So I have some limit too... My boy is going to PAP for his K1...in the morning. That's y, i tot of letting him learn pronics... :P

Welcome to KiasuParents.com, Carrie! For English enrichment, do check out this thread.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Carrie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Carrie wrote:

Welcome to KiasuParents.com, Carrie! For English enrichment, do check out this thread.

Hi Chief,
Yeah, i'd seen all the conversation by all the parents.. But still confused which is better between ICR and ZooPronics...?? You can tell me more?
Thank you..

Carrie
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Mummy Carrie...

Postby Carrie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:55 pm

Carrie wrote:Hi everyone, this is my first time to KSP... I know this site thru my colleague... May I know is there any good phonics school for K1 child... As my boy is going to PCF on 2009... I read so many people talking about "ZooPronics", "I CAN READ" and etc...

My boy is smart as he know what are we asking him, before answering us...He is smart at talking back to us too... We speak english at hm. But however, I need to update my english too... :oops:
But he is very lazy when i ask him to practise writing at home.. He cannot concentate and focus, keep asking me question, by :"when can i watch my tom & jerry".. haha

Chief,
You may see my talks over here... And can tell me which is better for my boy, tks... Shall I let my boy go for Math only on K2??

Carrie
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:09 pm

Carrie wrote:...But he is very lazy when i ask him to practise writing at home.. He cannot concentate and focus, keep asking me question, by :"when can i watch my tom & jerry".. haha...
... Shall I let my boy go for Math only on K2??

You know you have a smart boy, and so the question is how to find the right motivation for him to concentrate work hard. That is different from child to child, and even worse, changes from time to time. And this difficult task is our responsibility as parents.

Starting to learn Math during K2 is late by today's standards. I'm currently working on Primary One Math preparation Part 2 which includes a "progress table" that parents can use as general rules-of-thumb. Hopefully you will find it useful. Stay tuned :D

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Carrie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:17 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Carrie wrote:...But he is very lazy when i ask him to practise writing at home.. He cannot concentate and focus, keep asking me question, by :"when can i watch my tom & jerry".. haha...
... Shall I let my boy go for Math only on K2??

You know you have a smart boy, and so the question is how to find the right motivation for him to concentrate work hard. That is different from child to child, and even worse, changes from time to time. And this difficult task is our responsibility as parents.

Starting to learn Math during K2 is late by today's standards. I'm currently working on Primary One Math preparation Part 2 which includes a "progress table" that parents can use as general rules-of-thumb. Hopefully you will find it useful. Stay tuned :D

Then can i know what are the class is good in teaching Math for K1 child?

Thanks..

Carrie
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:36 pm

Carrie wrote:...Then can i know what are the class is good in teaching Math for K1 child?...

I'm doing the teaching myself nowadays :) I sent my son for Kumon starting P3, but I think he has already outgrown the programme and it is no longer useful. For pre-schoolers, lots of parents swear by CMA which teaches math based on abacus. See this thread.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Carrie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:01 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Carrie wrote:...Then can i know what are the class is good in teaching Math for K1 child?...

I'm doing the teaching myself nowadays :) I sent my son for Kumon starting P3, but I think he has already outgrown the programme and it is no longer useful. For pre-schoolers, lots of parents swear by CMA which teaches math based on abacus. See this thread.

Can I know what is CMA?? I still never saw any meaning of CMA in the thread, u gave me... Tks

Carrie
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs