Mummy nonKiasu: Hello. Here's nonKiasu Mummy

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy nonKiasu: Hello. Here's nonKiasu Mummy

Postby nonKiasu » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:10 am

Hello. This is nonKiasu mummy reporting to ChiefKiasu.
Huh, who is this nonKiasu mummy doing in kiasuParent website!? :?

Well, I guess I have to start my kiasu journey now as my sons are in K1 this year.

After reading this forum since last year (ok, it’s actually abt 2 weeks only. But heh, there are so many discussions that I need to spend so much late nights just to finish reading one category ‘Child Care, Pre-Schools, Kindergartens, Before/After School Care’), I think I am the most nonKiasu mummy among the members. My sons have never been to any enrichment course so far!

Why haven’t they attended any? Many reasons but all voice down to they are triplet boys. They are born prematurely in Nov 2004 altho they are supposed to be due on xmas week.
So, they are only 4 years old to me, although they are in K1 now. Poor thing, need to start prep for P1 now.
Last year this time, they were still having problem holding a pencil and the childcare teacher told me that they need to know how to write their name in N2. Ha, I don’t care bec they are not ready and I didn’t want to force them. The childcare teacher also commented that they have problem using scissors but heh, safety come first man! I don’t allow them to use scissors at home last year. Not bec I worry they cut themselves. But based on their mischievous nature, they will experience cutting their brothers’ fingers! Ai ya, getting lo-so again. No end if start talking abt my triplets…

Btw, after reading this forum, I have drawn a few conclusions about enrichment course:

1. The most important thing is parents spent time coaching their kids, no matter whether the child attend kindergarten, childcare or many enrichment courses.

2. There are different methodologies available in the market. You never know which one is the best bec there is no one method that is suitable for all children. Certain method is suitable for certain children and one has to try it out to find out the ‘right’ method.

3. Equally important to the methodology is the teacher. Is she committed? Is she able to deliver the methodology?

Additional observations
4. The active kiasu parents are staying in the West. Hardly any active kiasu parents in the East! Btw, I stay in Tampines and have not seen anyone recommend good kindergarten or childcare in the East.

5. Didn’t spot any kiasu parents with multiples children. Perhaps, people like us can’t afford to be kiasu. Cheap cheap childcare is already causing us a $1000 per month after $150 subsidised last year. Luckily now is $300.

Finally, thanks for setting up this forum which has helped me a lot....
I will try to teach phonics or English myself with the resources mentioned in the forum. So, I have 3 monkeys registered as my students last week. Since Maths is my rice bowl, perhaps I teach this myself too next week. 3+3=6 monkey students. I have interest in Chinese and was teaching them san-zi-jing last year. Perhaps I can teach Chinese myself as well? Halt, 9 monkey students will take my life away! So today, I decided that Berries take 3 monkey students instead. After 2 months, if I need to pay for a psychiatric, I will donate that sum of money to …maybe zoophonics instead. And if I need to be hospitalised, then I will pay the bill to … maybe some right brain experts.

Good luck to me!

And, yes, I am a working mother with minimal family support bec my parents-in-law have passed away long time ago.

Oh ya, I just chat with my neighbour last evening. Her youngest one is in P1 this year. The school that she went to (just across my place and my intended sch for my sons) tested her during orientation last year. Now, this week, there is a Chinese lesson (maybe not exam-able?) that is conducted in the hall where all 10 classes sit together. Her daughter, being in the best class, sit in the 1st row, subsequent row are filled by order of ‘class rank’, ie. the ‘worst’ class sit last row. During lesson, only the front rows are allowed to ask questions! Those behind need not raise their hand! <Sign> How is this world going to be in future?

Sorry, getting lo-so again. Wanted to end this post with ‘Finally” and still mei-wan-mei-liao.

Almost forgot, had a request: Anyone who want to throw away ANY books for pre-schoolers, pls give them to me. In fact, I take any hand-down things… anything…

Thanks.

nonKiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Mummy nonKiasu: Hello. Here's nonKiasu Mummy

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:45 pm

nonKiasu wrote:Hello. This is nonKiasu mummy reporting to ChiefKiasu...

Wow... your first post and you have already passed your finals from the School of KiasuParents! Fantastic!

Agree with all your points except your observation that parents staying in the West are more kiasu. Actually, all parents in Singapore are kiasu. Perhaps those in the East would rather keep their kiasu techniques more to themselves :evil:

Also, there are quite a number of parents here with more than 1 child. Emelyn just revealed the things she do with her 3 children and I just had to kowtow to her dedication.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: Mummy nonKiasu: Hello. Here's nonKiasu Mummy

Postby nonKiasu » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:17 am

ChiefKiasu wrote: Agree with all your points except your observation that parents staying in the West are more kiasu. Actually, all parents in Singapore are kiasu. Perhaps those in the East would rather keep their kiasu techniques more to themselves :evil:

Sorry, I didn't mean those staying in the West are more kiasu. I mean they are more ACTIVE ie. more willing to share in the forum. Hardly any kiasu parents in the East participated in this forum.

ChiefKiasu wrote: Also, there are quite a number of parents here with more than 1 child.

I am not saying that most parents have single child only. In fact, I think majority has more than 1.
The "multiples" I refer to are twin, triplet, quad, ....
The way to manage multiples and few children with age gaps are different. It will be nice to learn from kiasu parents with multiples children e.g. do they put just 1 of the multiples in the enrichment course, get the course material and teach the rest themselves? Or enrol 1 to try out first? etc.
It is even more challenging for 1st time parent who has multiples bec we are always learning and trying. By the time we realised our mistake, it's game over. Things that we learnt wouldnt apply to 2nd and 3rd child i.e either we get it right or wrong the 1st and last time.

nonKiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Imp75 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi Nonkiasu

I have a 4.5 yr old toddler and a pair of 2.5 yr old twins.
Like yourself, I am too busy with my 3 girls and full-time job to spend time doing enrichment with any of my girls. So, I really pay kudos to mamas like Tamarind and Emelyn....
My girls are happy just attending preschools and playing their dolls and make-beliefs at home :) and weekend escapades with us.

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby nonKiasu » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Imp75 wrote:Hi Nonkiasu

I have a 4.5 yr old toddler and a pair of 2.5 yr old twins.
Like yourself, I am too busy with my 3 girls and full-time job to spend time doing enrichment with any of my girls. So, I really pay kudos to mamas like Tamarind and Emelyn....
My girls are happy just attending preschools and playing their dolls and make-beliefs at home :) and weekend escapades with us.

Glad to find someone with mulitples in this forum... :D
I always think there is a different girls and boys. Boys are slower in development in their early age. So if there is 'academic classification' in P1, boys will be at a losing end. See the top students in PSLE every year. Most of the time are girls.

Yeah, I also kudos to Tamarind, Emelyn and many other parents in this forum.

Mine also, just go to childcare and play (or fight) among themselves at home during weekdays + family outing during weekends.

Where did your children go for preschools? Does your 4.5 yr know how to write her name now? Mine still can't.

nonKiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Imp75 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:43 pm

As I am working full-time and I place them at my nanny's place, together with my maid, I have to place them at the nearest preschool around, which happens to be PCF (whatelse right?). So all 3 girls are in PCF.

My elder girl can write her name and some words and sentences (she was taught in school) although she is damn lazy and only enjoys playing make-beliefs at home.

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Return to Newbies & Clubs