Club Breadmakers

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Club Breadmakers

Postby Mrsbongz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:56 am

Hi, Does any parents here make their own bread? Been thinking about it, as my children inhale loads of bread everyday.

Where do you get your ingrdients? My kids like Multi-grain bread.. any recipes to share? Is it necessary to get a bread maker? I'm a FTWM, so hoping to provide my kids with nutritious substance, without taking up too much family time.. :) Thanks in advance!!

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby reirei » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi, I do have a basic sweet bread recipe which I use often before I started making sourdough bread. This is a straight dough method which is easier if you re using a bread making machine. At the moment, I am using arm power + my not-so-powerful mixer.

Ingredients A
200g bread flour
100g plain flour
40g brown sugar
½ sachet instant yeast (1 sachet 11g)
1 tsp bread improver
1 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp soy flour (can be replaced by milk powder)
4 tbsp wholemeal flour

Ingredients B
180ml chilled water
1 egg (lightly beaten add into water)

Ingredients C
50ml corn oil
1 pinch salt

Some butter to grease the pan
Some flour to dust

Method (Based on using Philip Cucina Mixer)
1) Mix (A) with spatula in the mixing bowl. Use dough hook for mixer. Turn on mixer (speed 1) and add in (B) gradually. Beat for about 5 mins at speed 3.

2) Rest the machine for 5 mins. Meantime, knead the dough in the bowl (wear plastic gloves). Turn the machine (speed 3) on for about 3 minutes.

3) Rest machine again while you add corn oil. Use the spatula to incorporate most of the oil into the dough (or else the oil will splatter when you turn on the mixer). Turn on the mixer (speed 3) and add salt. Beat for another 5 minutes.

4) Do stretch test by pinching the dough. It should be able to form a thin membrane before breaking.

5) Cover the bowl with cling wrap and leave in a warm place for first proving for about an hour. Meantime, grease the pan. To check if first proving is complete, put some flour on your finger and press into the dough. The hole should hold its shape.

6) Take out the dough and transfer to a slightly floured surface. The dough should weight about 650g. Divide into 12 portions, each estimated about 54~55g, shape into a ball, add fillings like red bean paste, meat floss. Place onto the greased pan.

7) Let it rise for another hour. Apply egg wash or milk. Bake them at 170 degrees C for 15 minutes.

*Note : I am using a convection oven. For conventional oven, bake at 180 degrees C for 12 to 15 minutes. When you tap the bottom of the bread, it should sound hollow.

**You can add dried fruits, nuts, oats, etc. to the recipe. Or bake in a loaf tin if you do not want to shape them into individual servings.

reirei
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mrsbongz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:53 am

Thank u!! I've thought to try baking bread a few times to see if I can 'make it'' before i invest in a bread maker.. may I know where can I get the bread improver?

I've also read online that the proofing of the dough is sometimes dependant on the temperature that day.. is that true?

thanks again for your help!

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby reirei » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:12 pm

Mrsbongz wrote:Thank u!! I've thought to try baking bread a few times to see if I can 'make it'' before i invest in a bread maker.. may I know where can I get the bread improver?

I've also read online that the proofing of the dough is sometimes dependant on the temperature that day.. is that true?

thanks again for your help!

Actually, you can omit the bread improver. It's just to make the bread stay soft. Since your kids can finish them fast, it's not necessary to add it. Besides, the milk will help to soften the bread. Anyway, it is available at Phoon Huat.

Yes, bread making relies on the weather, especially when you are not using a bread making machine. Rainy weather is not ideal for bread making, it just take longer than usual. As such, you can try to control the condition during the first proofing. 1) either proof it in the oven with a glass of hot water, oven door closed. 2) or let it proof slowly, put it in the refrigerator and proof for 4 to 6 hours. On both cases, remember to cling wrap the bowl. The former will result in a slightly more yeasty bread. The latter has a risk of overproofing. So it is better to time your bread making session on sunny days.

reirei
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mrsbongz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks!! Shall give it a try!!

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby edunloaded » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks for the new receipes

Will try it out with the kids.

Actually its quite a fun activity for the family.

Tried it out with the kids recently, and they went wild over it!

You can check out what i mean:
http://edunloaded.blogspot.com/2009/03/bread-talks.html

edunloaded
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

All About Breadmaking

Postby thebusybee » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:36 am

Original Title: Zojirushi BB-HAC10 Mini Breadmaker

Anyone here using a bread making machine? One which is automated, just add ingredients and let the machine do the job, then voila - freshly baked bread everyday.

Need advice on which brand to get. :please:

Please also share good and healthy recipes here.

:thankyou:

thebusybee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Funz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:53 pm

I am also wondering where to find a bread machine. Use to see it at courts, harvey norman and even carrefour but never thought of buying but now considering whether to get one, can't seem to find any.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby pineapple tarts » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:47 pm

Try C.K. Tang. I have seen them promoting it.

pineapple tarts
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Bread Machine

Postby donian » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:51 pm

I just saw some at Best Denki - Compass Point over the weekend.
HTH.

donian
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs