LEARNConcierge

Club Breadmakers

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Club Breadmakers

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:34 pm

canuckmum wrote:I bought a Zojirushi bread maker early this year and now rarely buy bread from outside. Everyone in the family loves the bread from the machine, especially hubby who do not like the sweet taste of most local bread (e.g. Gardenia, Sunshine...). It really is as easy as putting ingredients into the pan as listed in the recipe book, press the right buttons and then walk away (like a rice cooker!). Waking up to the smell of fresh bread is one of the best things in the world :drool: The result from following the recipe book had always been pretty much perfect. I tried experimenting with other recipes from online site or other bread making books and had to adjust the proportion somewhat, which was less consistent, but the bread still turned out nice if not perfect.

I wish we bought a bread maker a long time ago, just that I was hesitant due to the price (most brands are $300+ even on promotion) and worried that it would become a white elephant at home. But it has really become one of the most used appliances in my kitchen like my rice cooker. If your household already eat a fair amount of bread (e.g. for breakfast everyday), then it is a worthwhile investment. People have claimed that premium flour like King Arthur unbleached organic bread flour turns out superior bread but I have not tried that myself. Just the regular Prima brand bread flour from regular supermarkets ($2.40-$2.80 per 1 kg bag) already gives good results for us (and makes about 4 loaves). I sometimes mix in some wholemeal flour for added fibre and texture.

I went for the Zojirushi brand because of good reviews (I also use their rice cooker which has been great) and the very compact size (smallest on the market that I've seen). Trust the Japs to make small appliances so well, because they live in such small apartments :) The small loaf size is fine for us since we are a small household and the bread should be eaten in 2-3 days max with no preservatives. I don't have a lot of counter space so size was a concern. I didn't want to buy something too big that had to be put away out of sight, because the more troublesome it is to get it out and put it away after use, the less I will use it! Maybe something useful to consider for other people thinking of buying a bread machine. On the counter or suitable surface is best, but if you can put it away in an easily accessible cupboard/shelf that would be helpful too.

Hi, can you show a pic of the bread crust made with the bread maker? I am concerned about the thickness of the crust.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby canuckmum » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:19 pm

The crust isn't really thick from my machine. I'll try to look for a photo or remember to take a photo on my next bake.

Many machines also have settings that you can select such as light, regular or dark crust which affects the colour, thickness and crispness of the crust. I usually select light crust because regular often ends up with super crispy crust that makes it quite messy when slicing! (Bits of crust flying everywhere ha...).

But if you slice the bread many hours after baking (and kept in a container), the crust softens (and the bread overall is completely cool) and that makes it more stable for easier slicing.

canuckmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Jennifer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:47 am

canuckmum wrote:The crust isn't really thick from my machine. I'll try to look for a photo or remember to take a photo on my next bake.

Many machines also have settings that you can select such as light, regular or dark crust which affects the colour, thickness and crispness of the crust. I usually select light crust because regular often ends up with super crispy crust that makes it quite messy when slicing! (Bits of crust flying everywhere ha...).

But if you slice the bread many hours after baking (and kept in a container), the crust softens (and the bread overall is completely cool) and that makes it more stable for easier slicing.

:thankyou:

I used to own a low end bread maker which eventually became an white elephant bcos the light crust selection produced a crust that was still unacceptable for my family.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pclum » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:40 pm

Last time I use the normal breadmaker and I find the the crust is sometime too dark or thick, then I adjust the time of bake by switching off before the end. Just for an example, when making a smaller bread which I put only 250g of flour, I will only bake for about 1/2 hr or 40 min instead of 1 hour preset by the machine. May be u can try this method.

Just my 2 cents

pclum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby pclum » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Anyone here use the Zujiroshi BB-HAC10 making the Jam? I had try to make orange jam for two time and all turn out to be waterly but still good to eat. However, I want to make the jam thicker and I look at the recipe online and it said start the jam process again when jam turn too waterly. But when I press the start/stop button for 5 sec until the digital readout turn to the original setting of 3:40, then I press the jam button and start, this time the jam button is blinking and digital readout show hot and off and the time is 1:20 but the jam process do not run at all even 10 or 20 min later, the time is still 1:20 and I cannot redo the jam process. Anyone use this machine to make the jam before pls comment.

pclum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby toffee » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:47 am

Hihi, I just bought a Zojirushi breadmaker yesterday and eager to get started on making bread today! But the recipe states dry milk. May I know what is that? Is that the same as our kids milk powder?

The other question is the ingredients indicate 2 tablespoons of butter. May I know how to measure this?

Appreciate help here as I am very new to bread making :) thanks!

toffee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Wandi_flora » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:29 am

i melted the butter into liquid form and measure .:)

I just bought a breadmaker last month, so awesome! Now make various type of bread daily. It's healthier.

Wandi_flora
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jjxy mum » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:59 pm

toffee wrote:Hihi, I just bought a Zojirushi breadmaker yesterday and eager to get started on making bread today! But the recipe states dry milk. May I know what is that? Is that the same as our kids milk powder?

The other question is the ingredients indicate 2 tablespoons of butter. May I know how to measure this?

Appreciate help here as I am very new to bread making :) thanks!

Hi, you can use the online conversion http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversi ... erter.html
It should be 28 grams.

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pclum » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:36 pm

for me, i bought the digital scale from prey huat, about $35 n u can measure up to 1gm precisely. It will make u accurately measure all ingredients and make the bread considently.

pclum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby polkadot_dress » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to do bread buns using the bread machine? Or do I let the machine knead the dough for me and thereafter I use the dough to shape into buns to be used in the oven?

polkadot_dress
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

LEARNConcierge