Mummy jkcy: Hello

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy jkcy: Hello

Postby jkcy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi. My husband discovered this forum and shoved me to sign up. I'm still finding my way around though this seems better organised than some other parenting forums. Anyway, just dropping a line to say hello first

:D

jkcy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby phantom » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:31 am

Hi jkcy, welcome to KSP! Some intro of yourself?

phantom
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Postby jedamum » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:46 am

jkcy wrote:Hi. My husband discovered this forum and shoved me to sign up.

So...your husband is the more kiasu one is it? :wink:

jkcy wrote: this seems better organised than some other parenting forums.

probably cos this is not just 'some other parenting forum'...it is a kiasu parenting forum afterall! :wink:

Welcome to KSP. 8)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jkcy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:50 pm

Actually we are both not the typical ks parents. I'm a SAHM with 3 kids (5, 3 and 1) and despite being down with 1 income, instead of going full-steam with his career, hubby actually chose a more laid-back role so that he could be home early to help me out and spend more time with our kids. And though my eldest son is due for P1 registration this year, we still not have assessed where to put him since we didn't bother with PV, moving house and that sort of thing. We are a rare breed among most of our friends. Hope to meet like-minded parents out here :celebrate:

jkcy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:12 pm

hm...you didn't proclaim not to be kiasu, and since you are not typical ks parents, that must make you special ks parents!
we are on 1 income too...so my husband couldn't yet give up his stable job to try something new.
we are a rare breed among our friends too! for most of them, their firstborn is only 1yo while mine already in P1! :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jkcy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Hey I guess you are right! We are special ks parents as we invest all our time to have fun with our kids :D

So you are a SAHM too. A SAHM with an only child sounds really luxurious. There must be so many things you can do together without any distraction. Envious...

jkcy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jkcy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:39 pm

I think I misread- firstborn. So how many kids do you have? Actually my husband is also hoping to strike out on his own else but we are stuck as I feel we can't afford to take that risk for now.

jkcy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Welcome jkcy!

Postby buds » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:00 pm

Heyya jkcy,

I'm SAHM too.
Two girls, P1 and K2.

Didn do PV either.
Just went into one of the better
neighbourhood schools within
our radius. Only went to that
one school's open house, to
check out their facilities,
teaching staff, CCA, etc.

Both hubby and me didn
wanna waste time on schs
that wud definitely go into
balloting. And another major
reason was distance, we wanted
a convenient school to go to on
a daily basis. We considered
the best take wud be less
travel time to and from sch,
so more time for homework
any other revision assessments,
plus the two under-rated factors
of sleep and play.

So far it has been good!
Being in PSG also an advantage to
keep in touch with the sch development.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jkcy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi buds. The problem is I just found out that 2 out of the 3 neighbourhood schools within my 1km all undergo balloting every year. The one that does not is notorious for lousy teachers and undesirable environment. So it looks like we have to try balloting and go for whatever is left outside 1km rather than forced to enroll into that notorious school.

Can I ask how the registration phases work? For eg, can I try my luck at an earlier phase at School A and if unsuccessful, go balloting at School B and if still unsuccessful, try any school which still has places? Or does it mean that if I try School A, I have to exhaust all the possible phases before I can move to another school?

jkcy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

jkcy wrote:Can I ask how the registration phases work? For eg, can I try my luck at an earlier phase at School A and if unsuccessful, go balloting at School B and if still unsuccessful, try any school which still has places? Or does it mean that if I try School A, I have to exhaust all the possible phases before I can move to another school?

if you have priority in earlier phases, of course you can go for it. if you didn't succeed, you'll have to wait for the next phase to see if your choice of schools still have vacancies. if yes, you can try or you can opt for another 'less-risky' school.
it'll be clearer if you can reveal which phase you will be registering.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs