Club Senior Boys and Girls

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Childhood memories, what're yours?

Postby vfong1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:25 pm

I have a lot of childhood memories which I like.....playing chaptay.. zero points.... five stones.... run around the neighbourhood's cooridor... visit mama shops for tit bits... hehehe

vfong1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 am

Staying at my aunt's place with my cousin every school holiday, and playing catching, hide-and-seek, 7-up, badminton, etc in the whole block of flats with the other kids who live on the same floor as my aunt. I also remember the old "merry-go-round" in the playground. That was where my cousin and I did our "daredevil" stunts. :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:41 am

Got a $1.80 barbie-imitation doll for doing well in my P1 final yr exams.
All my friends envy my $1.80 doll over their authentic dolls (we could bring toys to school after exam) for 1 reason - my dolls have unique and pretty dresses, sew by my mum :love:
Had to eventually throw the doll away :cry: after a few good years as the eye-paint fade and the rubber/plastic material of the doll became sticky. Just before I threw it away, I gave it a make over - a haircut :wink:

Had plenty of fun time playing with my elder bro - we built lego of house/shops whose occupants are 'little rabbit K' and 'little bear J'. They have special treasure boxes (made of icecream sticks) and pillows (miniture bean bag) and helmets (we salvage all these adhoc stuff from cousins/neighbours hand-me-downs, stuff that people discard as they move out of the blk etc). Or we just invert a stool and gather all our adhoc sailors (ranging from miniture toy rabbits to human) to set out for 'sailing'.

Especially love about-to-rain weather. Sky is turning dark. Flashes of lighting visible afar visible from our 10th sty flat and sound of thunder. We remove the mattress on the upper deck of the double deck bed, switched on the 'orange ceiling bulb/light', and pretend we are animals/dinosaurs in the cage (the light cast shadows of the mash in the upper beddeck and our shadows onto the wall hence creating the 'image').

A lot of imaginary play. :D

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby babysz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:20 am

My favourite place was a small book shop selling lots of of horror stories. Spent all my pocket money on those books. Now I forbid ds to even go near Mr Midnight. :oops:
Last edited by babysz on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

babysz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Candle Wick

Postby buds » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:53 am

Its candle wick, insider.
A strip or thread feeding flame with fuel.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby babysz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:53 am

insider wrote:
babysz wrote:My favourite place was a small book shop selling lots of of horror stories. Spent all my pocket money on those books. Now I forbid ds to even go near Mr Midnight. :oops:

One of my favourite occasions was the 7th month stage Hokkien Wayang Show, standing and watching those performers contentedly (and I could understand the story line coz my mum is a good storyteller).

During that one month, I would visit the big tentage every night. There were giant candles. I would take those empty cans to collect the big fat dry wax. Then melt all the wax together to form cans of candle after adding the 'line' (don't know how to call the white 'string' of the candle).

Mum might give me 10 or 20 cents for me to buy 'bird nest drink', 'mai ya candy', 'tu tu kuay', steamed corn, etc.

This is one of the best parts of my childhood...

That is lovely, can imagine myself being there. Thanks for sharing these details.

babysz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby vfong1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:01 am

I remembered playing the chinese (with botak man box cover) monopoly called "bai wan fu wung" with my neighrbour childhood friends, not sure if anyone remembers the game.

I like the cigarette and little red indian chewing gums. hehehe.....

vfong1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:17 am

vfong1 wrote:...I like the cigarette and little red indian chewing gums. hehehe.....

YEESS! I love those too! The little red indian bubble gum comes with watercolor tatoos that we all had great fun with. The cigarette bubble gum sticks were banned from schools (yeah... before the Great Nation-wide ban of all chewable rubber in the 80s), for fear of promoting smoking amongst us kids.

Such bubble gum is the number 1 thing I look for whenever I venture over to the other side of our border. Just to relive my childhood a little :roll:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby EN » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:09 pm

The cigarette bubble gum sticks were banned from schools

I don't have a memory of it until you mentioned it. I like it too.

I'm not sure how many were skinny back then. I remember always been selected to walk down to the office to be given lumpy milk for undernourished students. I was so skinny back then even my form teacher will give me cakes and sweets to be shared among my friends. Little that they know I am extremely picky eater. :wink:

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vfong1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:51 pm

i always like to visit the mama shop for the dikum dikum, tearing a piece of small paper and win prize.

i also play the red car where u can paddle to and fro. i like to run around the corridor with my friends bare footed play catching.

if anyone have the retro things you can post here to refresh our memories.

vfong1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs