Mummy sixface: Primary School Admission Help

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy sixface: Primary School Admission Help

Postby sixface » Sat May 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi Friends,
I am newbie here. It is very glad that we can share/collect so much information here in kiasuparents. Thanks to site admin and supporters.

I have some queries regarding my son's primary school admission. I am living near 888 plaza. I am confused about choosing best school. My son born in 2006 and suppose to start his P1 from 2013. Could you some of you provide guidance on the following:
1) When will be the admission commence?
2) I have not gone for any parent volunteer scheme and I am not eligible for Phase1 and Phase2A. Should I start register for the volunteer scheme?
3) Based on your knowledge which school would you recommend? I am ordinary father, wish my son do his best in his PSLE. So seeking for school which has good past psle results.
4) Can i register my son for more than one school to secure his admission?
5) I am thinking to move to Punggol in 2015. Will the schools allow to transfer from one primary to another in mid of their study. Let us say my son doing P3 and want to transfer in month of june will that possible? or does he need to complete the academic year?

Thank you all in advance.
Cheers :smile:
ARU

sixface
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Mummy sixface: Primary School Admission Help

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat May 21, 2011 6:37 pm

Dear sixface, welcome to KiasuParents.com

sixface wrote:1) When will be the admission commence?

For your son born in 2006, P1 registration will start in July 2012

sixface wrote:2) I have not gone for any parent volunteer scheme and I am not eligible for Phase1 and Phase2A. Should I start register for the volunteer scheme?

If you wish to be in Phase 2B, you must register for PV before JUNE this year. Some schools may already have closed their PV registration. Call up the school you wish for your son to be in asap to find out more.

sixface wrote:3) Based on your knowledge which school would you recommend? I am ordinary father, wish my son do his best in his PSLE. So seeking for school which has good past psle results.

Hard to recommend anything without full context of where you stay and what are the competencies and preferences of your son. Best results in PSLE is only one indicator you should consider. I suggest you read this article to get a better idea.

sixface wrote:4) Can i register my son for more than one school to secure his admission?

The answer is YES, but NOT AT THE SAME TIME. You must give up the place you have secured in an earlier phase before you are allowed to register for another school. It is risky and we do not recommend doing this unless you understand the implications completely.

sixface wrote:5) I am thinking to move to Punggol in 2015. Will the schools allow to transfer from one primary to another in mid of their study. Let us say my son doing P3 and want to transfer in month of june will that possible? or does he need to complete the academic year?

The answer is YES, but do consider the disruption it will cause to your son's education. Primary school is 6 years and for a good reason - it is root our children in the same environment and allow the school to monitor and provide holistic education for the children. While most schools use the same syllabus and their standards are closely monitored and controlled by MOE, each school have different ways of executing the instructions and teachings.

Do post any further question you may have in Primary schools under the Primary Schools - Selection and Registration Forum.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby qms » Sun May 22, 2011 9:29 am

:welcome:

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby sixface » Sun May 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks Admin. You are really helpful. Hope this site will grow further and help all Singapore parents. I am glad to join this group. Once again "Hi" to all kiasuparents.

sixface
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby LKVM » Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 am

Welcome to KSP

:welcome: :welcome:

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby i3mum » Tue May 24, 2011 12:37 pm