Club Bookworms

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Club Bookworms

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:00 am

Original Title: Club Books

Hi daddies and mummies,

I'm setting this book club because I love to read and am stress out by my 3 young kids :smile:

Reading recharge me, and I also like to have a place where I can share my thoughts (not very cheem ones) on the books that I have read.

I'm a bit out of touch so also like to find out what other parents are reading :smile:

Welcome sharing on any type of books (children's book also can, adult fiction or not nevermind, language not an issue)

I'm still reading my book. Once I finish, I will post :smile:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Club Books

Postby Champion » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi,
So glad to find this thread and to share with one another what we are reading :imcool:

I am reading the above book - it really boosts my spirit every time I read a chapter especially in the morning on board the mrt train :boogie: ...In the night, i try to grab 10 minutes reading it too as really hard to open my eyes after a long day at work :snooze:

You can read on some pages form this webpage:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0273714236/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:12 pm

WCW wrote:think i need that book, can find it in library?

Yes, you can :dancing: Try the following link

http://catalogue.nlb.gov.sg/cgi-bin/cw_ ... 983267+1+0

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:13 pm

WCW wrote:
Champion wrote:
WCW wrote:think i need that book, can find it in library?

Yes, you can :dancing: Try the following link

http://catalogue.nlb.gov.sg/cgi-bin/cw_ ... 983267+1+0

i found the book in the library :rahrah:
:thankyou: Champion
gg to start reading it :)

Hi WCW,
you most welcome :smile:

Happy reading :rahrah:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:24 pm

I read this book about 8 months ago, but I still feel deeply about it.

Outliners: The story of success by Malcolm Gladwe

It's an interesting an engaging read. It list a number of factors for success such as being born as the right time (in term of industrial development, world wars), the right months (due to cut off dates for school, as in if cut off date is 1st Jan, those born in the Jan - Mar, tend to have nore opportunities because level of maturity will be view as more capable and be put in better class, learn more, practice more in terms of more homework, etc so begin a cycle of self-fulfilling prophecy), 10 000hrs of practice (to be hardworking and do persistent work, the time to clock to be expert be it in the area of sports, academic, music, biz, etc so as to have the experience and skills), opportunities (people in ur life, even unfavourable circumstances, even luck as in right place right time), cultural legacies.

The bottomline is, though there might be certain historical events that is out of our control, if we are smart enough, go to a good enough school, hardworking and persistent to clock the time to build the expert skills and knowledgde, of our interest, and have the presence of mind to grab opportunities, we can all succeed.

At the end of the chapter, the author analyse why poor kids do poorly compared to rich kids academically in US school. They did a test and found that when the kids are in school they did comparely well for both groups in first year of school. The gap in performance starts to show as the years progress and the cause was determined to be the school holiday. During school holidays, the rich kids go for enrichment programme and have access to resources to improve themselves academically while the poor kids play. Over the years the school holidays provided the extra time for the rich kids to surpass the poor kids academically. There is a KIPP school that target the poor kids (of 12 yrs old), to gain admission is via balloting so they do not select through IQ or test results. The students go through 10 hrs of study excluding homework, even go back to school on Sat and school holidays. As a result more than 80% of them are able to go to college.

Are we reducing our talents when the schools try to find out who are the brightest and who are not in primary schools, ?

Maybe school holidays should be reduced so that kids who need more help can be helped by the teachers.

If school holidays are not reduced then kids who need more time and practice to learn the skills, knowledge and competencies will have to turn to tuition centres or the parents will have to take over. Kids from disadvantaged families will be gradually left behind. Unless they go to the public libraries to read and learn.

Although the findings in the book may not be very scientific, I find it rather logical.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:17 pm

WCW wrote:yes, like the saying u have to born in a rich family then you have win half the battle...

Still have to depend on many factors. If person lazy, then chances of success will be reduced.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowball » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:33 pm

hi friends, there is this book i borrowed at national library, and i love it so much that i would like th share with you.

<The Smart Woman's Guide to Staying at Home > by Melissa Hill

Sorry I dont know how to download the picture.....

snowball
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:40 pm

snowball wrote:hi friends, there is this book i borrowed at national library, and i love it so much that i would like th share with you.

Is it about SAHM? Will check it out when I next visit the library. Thanks

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:43 pm

snowball wrote:hi friends, there is this book i borrowed at national library, and i love it so much that i would like th share with you.

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowball » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Champion wrote:

Hi Champion, how u do it ? is amazing!!! :rahrah: thanks
btw u read this book too? love it ?

snowball
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs