New to Singapore

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

New to Singapore

Postby sqwenders » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:59 am

Finally making the big move from Shanghai to Singapore. I'm clueless so would appreciate ANY advice you knowledgeable mums out there have.
I have 3 boys 4, 2 and 9mths, and need advice on everything!!! Schools, accommodation, cars, maids, shopping...
Currently trying to find a serviced apartment for January. Please let me know if you have any recommendations. Very grateful for any and all advice.

Thanks heaps

Wendy

sqwenders
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: New to Singapore

Postby qms » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:08 am

:welcome:

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Funx3 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:12 am

:welcome: Wendy to the Little Red Dot, and to KSP Forum!

For a Start, Where R U staying at the Moment?
Will U Be Relocating from Jan Next year?

What Requirement U looking for in House/Apartment?
And R Your kids currently in any Childcare, or Day Care?

Maybe if U Narrow down your requirement, Some of us here who has the info could share with U.
:lol: :lol:

Funx3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:16 am

:welcome: to ksp forum!
By the way are you singaporean who is shifting back to Singapore or otherwise?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LKVM » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:18 am

Welcome to KSP

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sqwenders » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:30 am

wow, speedy responses, thanks.

We're a British family who have been living in Shanghai for 4 years, my eldest boys have been in kindergarden from 20mths, 4yr old now full time, 2yr mornings only, babe at home with me. I'll be looking for school for ideally both boys together, was considering UWC and Tanglin but may put into local school for 1st year as have heard they are very good. Could do with my area search narrowing down to best family areas, wanted to get accommodation with outside space, maybe east coast?! What is the 'maid' situation? Are they all live-in, is it possible to get daily and what are the rough costs. Thanks for your help.

sqwenders
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby BlurBee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:07 pm

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vlim » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:32 pm

sqwenders wrote:Finally making the big move from Shanghai to Singapore. I'm clueless so would appreciate ANY advice you knowledgeable mums out there have.
I have 3 boys 4, 2 and 9mths, and need advice on everything!!! Schools, accommodation, cars, maids, shopping...
Currently trying to find a serviced apartment for January. Please let me know if you have any recommendations. Very grateful for any and all advice.

Thanks heaps

Wendy

Hi Wendy,
Since the more experienced mummies and daddies are not around here to answer to your queries, maybe I can give u a rough informations:
Education:
If you are looking into international schools, guess you have to make enquiry fast as heard that some of the popular internation schools are on long queue if I am not wrong. If you are looking into Singapore MOE schools, guess you have to prepare your children better academically as it is rather stressful there as compare to international schools. Children here go fro pre-nursary at 3 yr old, nursary at 4yr old , kindergarten 1 at 5yr old and kindergarten 2 at 6 yrs old. Thereafter they will enroll to Primary school. Most likely your children can enrol into the primary school which is within 1 km from your residence. So some parents will stay near to the school which they want their kids to study in....
Eventually, you will get to know that many parents enrol their children for external enrichment class or tuition ...

maid:
yes the maid stay with the family. They are on 2 yr contract with work permit. So for foreigner, normally they will source for maid from Philipines as they can speak English. Sunday is a off day for them. There are many maid agency in Singapore and you may like to search the web and call them to find out more.

as of the rest of the info...shall let other experienced parents to furnish you .. :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:21 pm

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby i3mum » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:03 pm