Justin's Mum saying hi

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Justin's Mum saying hi

Postby Justenny » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:09 am

Hi All Kiasu parents

I'm a FTWM to a 4.5years old boy and still trying to learn how to be a kiasu good mother.

My little man is in full time childcare centre. He hates chinese and penmanship but loves art, maths and science.

Hopes i get to learn more from the gurus here!

Cheers! :celebrate:

Justenny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Welcome!

Postby buds » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:59 am

Welcome, Justenny..

:welcome:

We hope to hear from you too
on what are the activities he
loves in Art, Maths & Science!
Do share soon..

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Justenny » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:35 am

Hi Buds

Thanks for your welcoming notes!

The usual activities we did together were very simple but I always wanted to make it fun everytime.

Arts
My son carries a small A5 sketch book everywhere he goes. He draws in the supermarket, parks and during car rides. I also draw inspiration from Eric Carle’s/ Dr Suess books and do college with him.

Maths
He also likes to write down numbers in the sketch book. For eg. When we were at supermart, I would ask him to take and count 5 apples, 1 loaf of bread, 3 tomatoes and put in the trolley. He would count, draw the picture and record in his book. Or I tried introducing fractions to him by drawing and cutting out a big pizza and teach him about half, quarter, 1 eight etc. I found him picking up the concepts fast in this way!

Some of the things he records like bus numbers, HDB block numbers, people birthday dates, telephone numbers etc.. He loves to add up the numbers and create a total new numbers. So far he can add up/substract up to 50.

We do daily math worksheets together like 5 worksheets for 15mins including reading and understanding instructions before doing.

Science
We explore mainly by talking about how plant grow, what is the need, what products we get from animals etc. We experienced by growing bean spouts and measure the growth. or we take pictures of clouds and notice how it changes from day to night etc…

My method may be slow but he shows interest in learning which is my aim. However, I have great difficulty in getting him to write letters / Chinese words. He just give up and said he cannot do it. I used reward system still cannot make him write? How to go about it?

Justenny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby buds » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Heyya again, Justenny...

You're doing a FABULOUS job!
So much exploration opportunities
for the little man provided by you
through your efforts to be the good
kiasu mummy! In my eyes, you're
doing just great. FTWM some more.
Well done momma!