yowie reporting

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

yowie reporting

Postby yowie » Thu May 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi

New to this forum ...
When I first became a parent, I told myself I am not going to be KS Parent.

After 6 years, 2 kids and all the horror stories from friends and collegues, I have been sending my 2 kids to enrichment class once they are 3.

yowie

yowie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Mum2Gals » Thu May 29, 2008 9:19 pm

Hi, I joined not too long ago too. :)

Like u, I also told myself not to be too kiasu but nevertheless found my kiasu trait coming out once it comes to Pri 1 enrolment.

Nevertheless, I did not put my child through any enrichment till this year (6 years old this year) and even then, I asked for "permission" from the kid
(Hee, brought her to the centre and asked her if she would like to study there).

Many a times, esp after I became a forum participant, I wonder if I had done enough or "disadvantaging" my kid unnecessarily.

Its tough being a parent nowadays.

But then think again, children bring you so much joy!!

Mum2Gals
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu May 29, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi yowie. Believe it or not, my son only had swimming and music lessons when he was 4 yo. We only started him on and off Chinese classes at Berries when he was K1. Now his Chinese is just "making" it in P3... only because of the twice weekly tuition that we had to put him through. He dislikes Chinese because he finds it "hard". That's because we started too late... and are now paying the price and trying to make up by putting him through holiday crash courses at Yuquan, etc.

We are trying to avoid the same situation now by sending my 3yo daughter to chinese enrichment classes in Katong Mall on Sundays.

So yes, when we were first parents, we were very blur... didn't know what needs to be done to prepare our kids for a much easier time in Primary school. We thought parents who put their kids through these brain-enhancing or language classes when they were so young were just being super kiasu. 10 years later, we are slapping ourselves for not taking a more proactive approach early enough for our children's education.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby mom2boys » Thu May 29, 2008 11:02 pm

right..my eldest is now N2 this year...starting to feel stressful especially when I switch him from a 3hr church kindergarten to a full day childcare in April cos the teacher in CCC request me to spend more time with him on his progress..like teaches him how to recognise words and spell and write his own name :shock: thought when I was young I only learn this when I'm in Pri???
maybe that's the difference bet 3hr programme and a full day one...trying to find enrichment classes for him but dun know where to start..... :?
when my son was 7mths old, brought him to Marsden Swimschool to swim..he got real scared and scream...give it up after 3mths.. :P will try again with my 2nd 8mth old son next month hee

mom2boys
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby phantom » Sat May 31, 2008 11:43 am

Somehow when you enrol your kids with any enrichment and you see how other kids perform and the course they are attending, you will have the tendency to become Kiasu. Think it is peer pressure. And I am one of them :oops:

phantom
Site Admin

Postby mintcc » Sat May 31, 2008 1:21 pm

haha ...I agree with Phantom. I sign my boy up at 2 years old. Now I am wondering how come I never read Glen Doman and flash cards to him when he is a baby?

But we should not beat ourselves too hard lah. We are all trying out best.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jedamum » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:28 am

ChiefKiasu,
Hm...i still think that parents who put their kids through brain-enhancing or language clasess when they were young are super kiasu parents. 8) In any case, to each his own.
For me, while we have sent the elder boy to enrichment (totalling only 6 :lol: and non of which is brain enhancing), i reckon that we will be sending the younger one to even lesser enrichment...not cos that the kiasuism of being a second time parent somehow wane, but cos we 'learnt' from the experience of the elder boy's enrichment and feel that some of the stuff can easily be implemented at home to achieve a much more desired result.

welcome, yowie. :)

mom2boys, my boy is on 4 hr kindergarten, and its difficult to compare with full time childcare cos of the different syllabus the childcare covers. while my boy enjoys no spelling of any sorts, i am polishing him up on other aspects (eg reading, character recognition) as i am hesitating to set personal spelling test for him just so that he can 'catch-up' with the peers that attends childcare centre.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Newbies & Clubs