Club SAHM

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Are you

a hoping-to-become SAHM?
15%
a most-likely-to-be-permanent SAHM?
14%
a trying-to-become-EX SAHM?
6%
a cannot-afford-to-be SAHM?
10%
already a SAHM and lovin' it?
43%
already a SAHM but hating it?
7%
a tai-tai kind of SAHM?
5%

Total votes : 563

Club SAHM

Postby puzzle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:57 pm

//Moderator's note: Topic moved and modified.

Original Title: SAHM?

Hi need advises here..

My twins will be going P1 soon. Should i give up my job as an accountant and be a SAHM or go for other alternatives ie before/after school care Or maid ?? Maybe i should pick up part time job ???

Any good and reliable before/after care near Bt Pajang to recommend?

puzzle
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby flim » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:33 pm

hi puzzle,

i would keep my job if i were you... the children will spend most of their days in school anyway. it all depends on what your concerns are. in my opinion, ideally the children can stay at their grandparents' before/after school, and you can see them when you come back from work, so no need for maid.

i'm a SAHM and i'm hoping that i can go to work once my daughter enters primary school. i'm concerned that i would have a lot of free time (besides doing housework) while she's in school. working will give me an opportunity to utilize my talents (altho i'm not sure what they are... but i'm pretty sure i have one!) and give my daughter a chance to be more independent. at least that's what i hope.

having been a SAHM for 4 years, i have to admit things can get very boring...

flim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kaitlynangelica » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:54 pm

flim wrote:hi puzzle,

i would keep my job if i were you... the children will spend most of their days in school anyway. it all depends on what your concerns are. in my opinion, ideally the children can stay at their grandparents' before/after school, and you can see them when you come back from work, so no need for maid.

i'm a SAHM and i'm hoping that i can go to work once my daughter enters primary school. i'm concerned that i would have a lot of free time (besides doing housework) while she's in school. working will give me an opportunity to utilize my talents (altho i'm not sure what they are... but i'm pretty sure i have one!) and give my daughter a chance to be more independent. at least that's what i hope.

Hey Flim,

Am dying to become a SAHM myself. I have only one daughter and love her to bits. Unfortunately, due to financial constraints, find it difficult to quit. My company's medical coverage is good and they have been paying for my whole family's dental and medical. I can't imagine if I had to foot the bills myself.

It makes me very sad when my daugher says things to me like "Mummy, I don't want you to go to work every day" or "Mummy, can you be like so-and-so's mummy because she fetches her from school every day." I become overwhelmed with guilt.

That said, I can understand that it could become very monotonous day-in-day-out trying to entertain a child. But hey, if I had a chance now, will love to spend more time with her.

having been a SAHM for 4 years, i have to admit things can get very boring...

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: SAHM ?

Postby jedamum » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:13 pm

the thing is if you are a SAHM, you will be utilising twice your time at any one time to coach your kids given you have twins. :)
accounting can go for short contract work or even part time basis? that will free you up for some time to spend on the kids and at the same time stay connected to the worklife. when you feel that your kid is settled in, you can decide if you want to revert to full time.
occasions when you need to work, a willing grandparent will be good enough to supervise the kids if they are discipline enough.

i am of course assuming that you are financially stable enough to take that time off....

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:53 pm

puzzle

During the time your kids are in primary school (6 hours), you can work at home if your company has the flexibility.

I've been a SAHM for 6 years. Not bored at all. My kids are two years apart and I have intentionally send them to separate sessions. I prefer to spend 1-to-1 time with each of them, can :snuggles:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:34 pm

sleepy wrote:My kids are two years apart and I have intentionally send them to separate sessions. I prefer to spend 1-to-1 time with each of them, can :snuggles:

sleepy,
if i am intending to be a long term SAHM, i will be doing the same as you. By the time my ds2 is in P1, ds1 will be in P5. So i am planning to enrol ds2 in a pri sch with afternoon session for lower pri so that i can spend 1 to 1 with both...so that i will not be lonely too... :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby RRMummy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:54 pm

to all you dedicated mums, give yourselves a big pat on the back :udawoman:

..i guess we all have our constraints and hence our 'route' that we are taking, be it our ideal choice or not... but we sure try our best.. and that is what we teach our kids right.. to do our very best and no matter what the final outcome, it is the effort that counts... :pray:

..let's give ourselves the moral support to maintain our sanity and try as much to keep our guilt away.. i need it too, being a FTWM.. :P

to all SAHM & FTWM :celebrate:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:57 pm

jedamum wrote:By the time my ds2 is in P1, ds1 will be in P5. So i am planning to enrol ds2 in a pri sch with afternoon session for lower pri so that i can spend 1 to 1 with both...so that i will not be lonely too... :wink:

That's a good plan! 4 years apart seems even better. Can concentrate on coaching your ds1 when he's in P5/P6 for PSLE while your ds2 in P1/P2 afternoon session.

My kids will be attending the same session when they are P3 & P5. Perhaps I can work as a relief teacher in their school so we can go to school together & come home together :D

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:23 pm

sleepy wrote: so we can go to school together & come home together :D

:lol: good plan.
i think sahm like us who spent a lot of time with the kids will be hit the hardest when the kids left the nest :cry:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby flim » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:53 pm

hi puzzle,

i understand sometimes it makes you feel bad about not being able to fetch your kids from school or stay at home like the 'other moms'. that shows how much you love your kids and how much you want them to be happy. but you know, a SAHM has her own share of that too.

my neighbour who's a SAHM was asked by her teenage son why she didn't have a job. if she did, she could've had enough money to buy him the branded something something that his friends with working parents had.

we'll always be compared with someone else. the kids are really good at it. they observe everything. but i'm sure our kids will be happier with us being ourselves, than trying to be someone we're not. just as we love our kids, i believe our kids love us too, even though sometimes they don't show it.

flim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs