Mummy elygator: Hello from Ely...

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy elygator: Hello from Ely...

Postby elygator » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi there! I came across this website by chance coz i really need help.. my 2nd son who is 6 years still doesn't know how to write and still baby talk. I am worried for his P1 next year. I can see he is more interested to learn now rather than when he was in K1. He will throw tantrums and cry out until i had to give in. Guess it was partly my fault for being too soft with him. His elder brother learns to read and write on his own and i can't understand why my 2nd son is having such difficulty... Please help!!! :(

elygator
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby RRMummy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:29 pm

hi elygator, welcome to KSP.

Does he baby talk just to 'manja' (sa jiao) or do you mean he only knows how to baby talk? Is he currently in CC or kindergarten? What did his teacher say?

All kiddies are not the same so don't compare him with kor-kor..

We have many experienced mummies here like buds, insider, jedamum, tamarind etc.. I'm sure they can offer some sound advice... and don't be so hard on yourself. You still have 8 more months to find out the root cause and prepare him for P1.. hang in there..

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby elygator » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi RRMummy,

He can say out the words but at times not very clear.. sometimes we have to ask him to repeat the word or show what it is in order to understand him. This will frustrate him even more :cry:

He is in kindergarten now.. His teacher are rather helpful and have advise me to try to teach him as much at home. I am a full time working mummy and i am trying hard to help him while juggling with the other 2 kids..

I have bought the alphabets book where you have to trace the letters but he loses his concentration after a while.. He is having problems remembering the alphabets/letters in sequence..I also notice he likes doing his maths more.. if only he know the numbers... i have to write the numbers at the side and tell him this is no. "3", he will copy it and even if the next answer is the same, he will not remember how 3 looks like... :cry:

elygator
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby buds » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Ely, firstly welcome to KiasuParents!

:welcome:

Secondly, we're all here for the listening ear.
Appreciate you can share more about your son.
Hopefully if we have more observations from your
acount, we can help to suggest ways to help you help
your son..

>When did you realise he is not conversing properly?
>What has been done to curb that habit of baby talking?
>Do other family members baby talk to him?
>How long has he been in childcare?
>What are his interests?
>Tantrums - are they whines and cries or more physical tantrums
ie. throwing stuff... shouting very loudly for long periods...
>What usually works to pacify him when he is upset?

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby elygator » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi Buds,

We have notice it since forever. My first son only learn to talk when he was in Nursery, so we tot it will be the same with my 2nd one as different kids have different learning abilities. In K1 , still the same and we made the mistake of just leaving it as "late bloomers". And now in K2, even though he is progresssing well but i am still worried he will not outgrow his "baby talk".

We talk normally to him and always correct the words for him. I also notice he cannot say "S" with the hissssinggg sound... is that something for me to be worried?

I have an Indonesian domestic helper to take care of my 3 kids. And as for the tantrums, it can be whines or crying.. but there are moments when he will hit me or throw all his thngs... I will usualy leave him til he cools down and i will talk to him or ask him why and ending with a big hug..

Overall, he is a very cheerful kid who like to tease people and we love him greatly.. Me and hubby are trying all ways to help him :love:

elygator
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:02 pm

elygator wrote:I have bought the alphabets book where you have to trace the letters but he loses his concentration after a while.. He is having problems remembering the alphabets/letters in sequence..I also notice he likes doing his maths more.. if only he know the numbers... i have to write the numbers at the side and tell him this is no. "3", he will copy it and even if the next answer is the same, he will not remember how 3 looks like... :cry:

elygator,

Academic wise, how long did you set aside for tracing work? Preferably little cos it is boring. Mixed it with other activities (eg matching, circle correct letter etc) if your aim is for letter recognition. Focus more on the recognising part first. Give little stickers or stamps for each completed rows of letter.

If you don't mind your kid watching TV, Leapfrog Letter Factory and Richard Scarry's Best Counting Video ever is good for letters and numbers recognition. There are also a few Youtube videos with catchy rhyme reinforcing ABCs and 123s. Despite his age, you have to start from the basics if his foundation is not there instead of jumping straight into K2 syllabus as that will cause frustrations.

For the speaking part, you have to note if it is because of his lack of practice or the structure of his tongue. My ds2 (29mth old) is also not speaking as much as his peers, pronunciation lacking and such. He is still not speaking up properly, only choosing to answer in 1-2 words, despite us talking to him in sentences. For your case, you may want to consult professional opinion, and meanwhile, do sing with him to get him to do pronunciation (I am assuming that he can't read yet). If you are tight for time, possible to sublet this task to your elder kid?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby elygator » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:13 am

Hi Jedamum/Insider,

Thank you very much for your kind advise and help.

For the tracing work, i have set him to do an alphabet/number a day which after that, i will then ask him to write it again on a piece of blank paper. This is a weekly task as apart from the tracing work, i will show him the words starting with the alphabet.

Where can i get Leapfrog Letter Factory and Richard Scarry's Best Counting Video?

I have discussed with my hubby about consulting professional help and he have agreed. My only fear is that i don't want my son to feel as though there is something wrong with him and he end up feeling very demoralize.

Also, My son is born in August.. is there a reason behind this?

elygator
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:29 am

elygator wrote:Where can i get Leapfrog Letter Factory and Richard Scarry's Best Counting Video?

I got my Letter Factory from Amazon and Richard Scarry from Popular Bookstore.

elygator wrote:I have discussed with my hubby about consulting professional help and he have agreed. My only fear is that i don't want my son to feel as though there is something wrong with him and he end up feeling very demoralize.

You must start telling yourself that while his progress may be different, there is nothing 'wrong' with him, because our subtle feelings and emotions can easily rub off on our kids. He needs assurance that the parents will love him unconditionally regardless of his condition/performance. Don't neglect the other kids too. You may need to talk through with your other kids, to get them to understand the situation and seek their understanding that you may need to spend more time with the 6yo. Involved them if necessary so that they won't feel left out (ie if you feel comfortable with it cos while some families prefer to overcome obstacles as a family, some actually prefers not to let such hinder their daily function and hence the other kids are even oblivion about what their siblings may be going through).

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby buds » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:40 pm

elygator wrote:For the tracing work, i have set him to do an alphabet/number a day which after that, i will then ask him to write it again on a piece of blank paper. This is a weekly task as apart from the tracing work, i will show him the words starting with the alphabet.

Did the school introduce this when he was in Nursery..
How does the school cater to your son's capability, what with their
own K2 syllabus to cover with thee other children in the class to
teach as well?

elygator wrote:Where can i get Leapfrog Letter Factory and Richard Scarry's Best Counting Video?

Richard Scarry Videos (there are a few and all good!) are also available
at Laser Flair outlets.

elygator wrote:I have discussed with my hubby about consulting professional help and he have agreed. My only fear is that i don't want my son to feel as though there is something wrong with him and he end up feeling very demoralize.

Yes, professional help can work both extremes. One... he will show
more improvement and motivation and the other... he may have
and show a lot of resistance, when the realization sinks in that he
is being assessed/tested..

elygator wrote:Also, My son is born in August.. is there a reason behind this?

Not necessarily... at least in my opinion. My 2nd also born in the last
quarter and she's doing fine. :wink: No worries.

By the way, not being able to say the hissing /s/ may be due to
short tongue. I assume he's saying it in the /th/ sound instead?
There has been talk that this can be improved but in some cases
it can't, due to the physical attributes a child is born with.

I am happy to see your special mention on him being a cheerful
child and that you love him greatly. You and hubs are being the
good parents that you are in spite of your hectic schedule.

Does your son love reading/being read to? :wink:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Newbies & Clubs