LEARNConcierge

Mummy iFirefly's Bright Sparks

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy iFirefly's Bright Sparks

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:38 am

Song22 wrote:Thanks Slmkhoo for your information, I hope HCI will give the students some guideline when they starts JC next year. I also wonder the validity of SAT test as boys need to service NS.

Did your girl take SAT? She is taking A level now right? What is her area of interest? :smile:

Validity of SAT scores is 5 yrs, so boys can take it early if they want to, and can retake later if they think they can improve their scores. In general, they are unlikely to do better as they are in peak "exam-taking" mode in J2! For info:
https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.o ... ernational

My daughter took SAT and 2 subject tests earlier this year. She has applied or will apply to US universities, and has also applied to UK (which we parents prefer!). We'll see what she's offered and what funding she can get. She's applied to read Economics. And yes, she's in the middle of A levels now (Econs paper today!).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:02 am

Yes.. Economics in progress.. :smile:

DS did not sit for SAT as he isn't very keen on US universities (we prefer UK too). Of course, we hope DS qualifies for his dream course at NUS / NTU, as I prefer him to study in SG.

DS sat for BMAT (held @ RI) just a few days before A Levels began. It is valid for one year and students can sit for the test only once.

@ jtoh.. am I right (about BMAT) ?

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 am

iFirefly wrote:Yes.. Economics in progress.. :smile:

Should be over by now. It's only 2+ hrs.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:53 am

slmkhoo wrote:

Should be over by now. It's only 2+ hrs.

Oh.. Didn't notice the duration of papers.

Another Econs paper on Friday. DS has no paper tomorrow. What about your gal ?

Have reached half-way mark - 9 papers done (including 2 Science practicals), 6 more to go.. :dancing:

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Song22 wrote:My boy will be taking double maths, physics and Econs, he said he wants a "easier" life so that he could do more other stuff. He doesn’t really like Chinese although doing okay. HCI just had their graduation dinner last week, my boy “dressed up” (most boy were in shirt and suit!) and really enjoyed the dinner. He showed me some video and it is really touching when they sang some songs and 朋友 at the end, he said he felt really emo at that time.

I really like the NY movie, it has a lot of local feel especially when the setting was in 1930s and 1980s. It was a directed by a really talented director by a local Zhao Wei Film, they had made quite a few good local movies.

Wow, your ds1 is going NS soon! Next time you can give us more tips!

We are going 吃风 soon :boogie: ,going to China for a short trip this weekend and looking forward to going Hokkaido end of the year. Where are you going this year?

Wow ! Enjoy your 'eat wind' holiday in China & Japan !!

Haven't made any plans for year-end holiday yet. DS1 is free only after 19 Dec. We may also need time to prepare for his NS enlistment on 04 Jan next year. Would love to visit Japan and stay in a KyoTO's michiya (not Kyo#O's.. :evil: ).

DS says RI has only 1 class doing double Maths. What about HCI ? Does your boy take part in overseas Math competitions ? I really admire & respect people who are good in Math. I can't even count properly ! :laugh:

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Song22 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:11 pm

DS did not sit for SAT as he isn't very keen on US universities (we prefer UK too). Of course, we hope DS qualifies for his dream course at NUS / NTU, as I prefer him to study in SG.

DS sat for BMAT (held @ RI) just a few days before A Levels began. It is valid for one year and students can sit for the test only once.

@ jtoh.. am I right (about BMAT) ?

Naturally, I think if the interests are in Medicine and Law, it is better to do it locally? It is so nice that you still have the child with you when he is in uni, I am sure to miss my kids a lot if they were to study overseas :cry:

Song22
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Song22 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Song22 wrote:Thanks Slmkhoo for your information, I hope HCI will give the students some guideline when they starts JC next year. I also wonder the validity of SAT test as boys need to service NS.

Did your girl take SAT? She is taking A level now right? What is her area of interest? :smile:

Validity of SAT scores is 5 yrs, so boys can take it early if they want to, and can retake later if they think they can improve their scores. In general, they are unlikely to do better as they are in peak "exam-taking" mode in J2! For info:
https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.o ... ernational

My daughter took SAT and 2 subject tests earlier this year. She has applied or will apply to US universities, and has also applied to UK (which we parents prefer!). We'll see what she's offered and what funding she can get. She's applied to read Economics. And yes, she's in the middle of A levels now (Econs paper today!).

Thanks for sharing the information Slmkhoo.

My son will also be looking into UK university, it is probably also my preference as it is not "that far" :sweat: He is now quite open whether to study locally or overseas, well, it will depends a lot on his results too.

Do keep us inform of the outcome, haha, this reminds me of us talking about them dsa / psle / choosing of schools years ago :smile:

Song22
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi slmkhoo and Ifirefly,

Just curious, why do you prefer UK rather than US university? Because U.K. Is better in the subject that your children will major in? Any other factors?

Any idea for Chemical Engineering or Computer Engineering, UK or US is better?These are the preferred courses of my nephew, hence asking.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Song22 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:32 pm

iFirefly wrote:
Song22 wrote:My boy will be taking double maths, physics and Econs, he said he wants a "easier" life so that he could do more other stuff. He doesn’t really like Chinese although doing okay. HCI just had their graduation dinner last week, my boy “dressed up” (most boy were in shirt and suit!) and really enjoyed the dinner. He showed me some video and it is really touching when they sang some songs and 朋友 at the end, he said he felt really emo at that time.

I really like the NY movie, it has a lot of local feel especially when the setting was in 1930s and 1980s. It was a directed by a really talented director by a local Zhao Wei Film, they had made quite a few good local movies.

Wow, your ds1 is going NS soon! Next time you can give us more tips!

We are going 吃风 soon :boogie: ,going to China for a short trip this weekend and looking forward to going Hokkaido end of the year. Where are you going this year?

Wow ! Enjoy your 'eat wind' holiday in China & Japan !!

Haven't made any plans for year-end holiday yet. DS1 is free only after 19 Dec. We may also need time to prepare for his NS enlistment on 04 Jan next year. Would love to visit Japan and stay in a KyoTO's michiya (not Kyo#O's.. :evil: ).

DS says RI has only 1 class doing double Maths. What about HCI ? Does your boy take part in overseas Math competitions ? I really admire & respect people who are good in Math. I can't even count properly ! :laugh:

Yup, sometimes it is very difficult to plan as the kids always have more busier schedule than ours :sweat: , Dec 19 to Jan 4 are peak period for travel, you might not be able to find a place to stay, maybe need to 乖乖 stay at home and prepare for enlistment :laugh:

I guess HCI also have only one class or less doing F maths. My boy was kidding that his class is going to be like “boy school” again with no girls :scared:

Yes, my son did represent the school (school only, not Singapore huh) in maths oversea competition and...I too can’t count properly! :hi5:

Song22
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:12 pm

iFirefly wrote:Oh.. Didn't notice the duration of papers.

Another Econs paper on Friday. DS has no paper tomorrow. What about your gal ?

Have reached half-way mark - 9 papers done (including 2 Science practicals), 6 more to go.. :dancing:

Same as your son - 9 down, 6 to go. She has Physics tomorrow.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

LEARNConcierge