Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy iFirefly's Bright Sparks

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy iFirefly's Bright Sparks

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:17 pm

FantasyLandDreams wrote:Hi slmkhoo and Ifirefly,

Just curious, why do you prefer UK rather than US university? Because U.K. Is better in the subject that your children will major in? Any other factors?

Any idea for Chemical Engineering or Computer Engineering, UK or US is better?These are the preferred courses of my nephew, hence asking.

No, I prefer the UK because I am more familiar with it, and have more fond memories of it. We like the UK culture a little better too. The US is a longer flight away, and there are too many guns there! But if she can get funding, I'll let her make the final choice. I don't think either country is necessarily better than the other in her area of interest although the approaches are likely to be different. No idea about Engineering.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Song22 wrote:It is so nice that you still have the child with you when he is in uni, I am sure to miss my kids a lot if they were to study overseas :cry:

On the other hand, depending on the child's personality and maturity, it can be a great for their development. Not all young people are ready or reliable enough to be sent away like that, but for those who are, it's a great learning experience to be away from home, independent, exposed to different cultures etc. I know I will miss my daughter a lot if she goes, but I won't stop her if that's what she wants.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:03 pm

iFirefly wrote:Yes.. Economics in progress.. :smile:

DS did not sit for SAT as he isn't very keen on US universities (we prefer UK too). Of course, we hope DS qualifies for his dream course at NUS / NTU, as I prefer him to study in SG.

DS sat for BMAT (held @ RI) just a few days before A Levels began. It is valid for one year and students can sit for the test only once.

@ jtoh.. am I right (about BMAT) ?

I believe you can sit for it more than once. That's what the people in the the UK do. Cos they don't always get into their preferred uni so they try again the next year.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Previous

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres