I am new member - A singapore dad in NZ

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

I am new member - A singapore dad in NZ

Postby SingDadNZ » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:05 pm

I am a Singaporean married to an Asian Kiwi wife. We live in New Zealand, and have a 7 year old son who also holds a kiwi citizenship. I plan to return to Singapore in 2015 with my family to allow my son to attend primary 5 and 6 in Singapore in preparation for him to attend SOTA. I will apply for P/R status for my wife and son. I have aging parents and want to be in Singapore during their need. I am very interested about schooling in Singapore and all the excitements associated with schools hence my interest with Kiasu Parents. :?

Please read my second post at the bottom of this page :laugh:
Last edited by SingDadNZ on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SingDadNZ
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: I am new member - A singapore dad in NZ

Postby KSP » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:24 pm

KSP :welcome: you to KSP

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby toddles » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:35 pm

welcome! this will be a good online space for you to re-acclimatise.... :)

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:48 pm

:welcome:

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby wiimum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Yeah, keep in touch through this website and by the time you return , you will know all about the education system and can navigate better. :smile:

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby blessed777 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Welcome :smile:

blessed777
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby qms » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:06 pm

:welcome:

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby SingDadNZ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the welcome messages. I thoroughly enjoy this web-site and like reading their informative opinions, comments and the various view points of the members on a wide range of subjects.

I was planning to relocate my family to Singapore this year to be closer to my aging parents but at the same time I wanted to be sure that I am able to provide a good and enjoyable start to a primary one education in Singapore for my 7 year old son Jayden TJ. Last year I spent several months in Singapore talking to some of the principals from my neighborhood schools and I walked away dismayed by the rigidness of the school policy and its curriculum. Getting an appointment to see the school principal was a tedious task and a lesson on humility and patience. My main grip was the apparent lack of a good musical education and insufficient choice of instruments offered in school for a child to be excited about. . The costs of after school music program in Singapore are expensive and time consuming. Primary schools in NZ view music lesson as essential learning block. The school my son attends has a music program that has been going on in that school for the last 80 years and it cost $70/instrument a year. It offers a dozen different instruments each Saturday morning and if you could not afford the fees or the time, then the children are offered free lesson during school hours on some popular instruments.

Children in NZ start primary school on their birthday when they turn 5 years old (I heard that NZ is the only country in the world that have such an enrollment policy) Such policy make the school child friendly and with 420 pupils and 23 different nationality represented in the enrollment you would think that the principle and his staff would be rushed off their feet. Yet, I consistently see the principal on the school zebra crossing at least twice a week with a raised red flag supervising the children crossing. Each new child entering school on their birthday is celebrated during the school weekly assembly. The assembly itself is open to the parents and care givers and is conducted like a music concert with individual and group presentation from the various classes. To view some of the school assembly, you could lock into my 7 years old son facebook public/fan page under the name “Jayden TJ”. He plays the bass guitar in the school band. He currently plays 7 different instruments and 3 of them at grade level. It is a testimony that every child can enjoy and learn music if given a early start.

Schools in Singapore have come a long way since I attended primary school many many years ago. The ability to reinvent had made Singapore what it is today and I am very sure they are in the right track hence I was very excited when I read about SOTA and the reason and ideas behind the establishment of such a fine school. I had the opportunity to visit the brand new school and I was impressed. How impressed I will be by the time my son attend SOTA will depend on how well SOTA integrates if self within the arts and academic community in Singapore and its international standing as a school that can bring out the very best in its student and it ability to capture a world wide audience on its art and its academic field.

SingDadNZ
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby wiimum » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:25 pm

You may have a bit of adjustment to make when you return. :smile:
I know in some schools, music lessons give way to core subjects because the teachers cannot finish the syllabus, especially so in the upper levels.

But if you really choose to return, then I suppose you would have to work around it, find enrichment classes etc. Gain outside exposure to music ?? Maybe stay near a music school, buy a house next to some musicians ?? -- just joking.

But seriously, there are free events for such exposure available - go to http://www.nus.edu.sg/music/02_whatson.html
(Yong Siew Toh Conservatory at NUS).

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Freesia » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:56 pm

If you ask me the education system in the NZ is more holistic. Honestly, the programme here are very accelerated and I seriously do not know what is the value add except for the small numbers that was sent to competition brings glory for the country. Even, Sota, the child's grades cannot be be too bad; it is unlike a Menuhin and one of my friend's son gave up because if he attends sota, he will have less time for his music. Afterall, they have the IB exams to pass.
They pay very little attention to music. Many who goes into MEP programmes are supported by the family. You see, Education in Singapore in not Free. It is accelarated and yet the parents got to fill the gap.

Freesia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs