Mummy AgnesMM: Another NEWBIE

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy AgnesMM: Another NEWBIE

Postby AgnesMM » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:00 pm

hi there, my name is Agnes and we have a daughter 6-years of age (her name's Charmaine). She attends Pat's Schoolhouse @ Katong (previously Chiltern House @ Broadrick). She does other enrichment program like ICR, Children's art theater (chinese enrichment), piano, ballet and swimming - as requested by herself. In fact she wanted more but we have to limit her to five programs max in view of her starting P1 next year.

Any one around Tampines, Bedok areas with kiddos 6-yrs of age??

Ag :D

AgnesMM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Another NEWBIE

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi AgnesMM,

Welcome! You definitely qualify as one of us :). In fact, you definitely put me to shame with regards to what I did for my own children :oops: . Sigh... what to do... the spirit is willing, but the wallet is thin.

I'm curious, how does your child know enough of the enrichment programmes such that she asks for them? Does she learn it from her friends, or see them advertised on TV? Or did you bring she for a preview and then ask if she enjoyed the thing?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

hi there

Postby AgnesMM » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:04 pm

hi ChiefKiasu (sounds like leader of the gang :lol: ),

charmaine has been doing ballet since she was two years old. And she simply enjoys it (also coupled with the fact that she adores barbie movies .. and you know they dance and dance - Anika or those dancing princesses). She is now in Grade One and we have teased her that we will cancel her classes if she misbehaves :twisted: hee hee.

For the chinese program, she also started that at a very young age. And we decided to continue so as to keep her interest in chinese - they do plenty of stories, character games, dance, arts so at least it is an hour and half each week totally immersed in chinese programs.
Swimming .. we have a pool in our condo so it will be such a waste if we don utilize that. And as with other kiddos, charmaine loves water play. So that's fine with her as well. And technically for us, more of a keep fit program.

Piano. Hmmm .. not sure why we have her on that as well. She asked for a trial in her ballet school (Music and Ballet Company) and probably one thing leads to another .. we signed her on as well.

ICR - More of an influence thingy. Her friends were on tat program, and many others in morris allen or julia gabriel. Her teacher at Pat's recommended ICR and charmaine claimed that she wants to do her own storybook reading. And as a typical KS mom, why not if she has the interest.

Well, she wanted more but I am stressed out sending her from one class to another and having too many cuppas to stay alive :shock: and definitely not want to be a driver full day over the weekends :cry:

But then again, everyone wants the best for their kiddo. If parents have the bandwidth to coach themselves, why not (I fully support home coaching). Unfortunately for hubby and myself, our patience runs thin each time we try to coach. So I have better leave the job to the professionals.

Ok, better stop here ... too long winded :wink:

AgnesMM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: hi there

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:02 pm

No lah... what we have here is mob rule... it's a gang without a head.

I did enquire at that very Music and Ballet Company down at Katong Mall... but timing not right. I was trying to time it such that my daughter can do it right after her Chinese lesson on Sundays... too bad. The kids look really cute in their outfits, though :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby AgnesMM » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:44 pm

I waitlisted her for quite a while before getting the time slot that fits our schedule. So maybe you can pop by the next time round and indicate your preferred date and timing.

This forum is VERY informative - esp so seeing parents discussing about P1 registration. ha ha .. Tot I KS only :lol:

More to find out from here :idea:

AgnesMM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby barney » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi AgnesMM

Welcome on board, I'm as new as you are and was very happy to stumbled upon this forum, alot of relevant discussions for all the KS parents.

I stay in Pasir Ris and also have a 6 yr old gal. Well, it's good in a way that your gal asked for all those enrichment lessons, mine will complain if I tell her I'm starting her on a new class, she'll tell me her school friends only have xx extra lessons and have plenty of time to play and relax at home. Anyway, she only has piano and MPM...that's it and she's already complaining. Brought her for the ICR assessment a month ago but I did not sign her up for the lessons.

Actually, I'm a lazy and lousy mum, so am sort of glad that my gal's refusing more lessons. Don't think I can find time to bring her for her lessons during weekends and weekdays are out as sometimes need to work late.

Hope to have more fruitful and enriching discussion in this forum.

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby AgnesMM » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:43 pm

hi Barney,

I believe a lot of these were kinda influenced by peers in the school. Her pals have had loads of after-school programs. And I got to know that most moms are not working and can ferry the kids all over the place. For us, we can only restrict enrichment program to one weekday evening and over the weekends.

Charmaine does complain and wanted more. So have to keep investing on activity books to keep her occupied in the afternoon. That aside, we bought her a puppy thinking that it will keep her busy. That eventually becomes our pet and seeing that the pup is so lonely, we bought another to keep her company. Now I am struggling between everything :roll:
Yeah .. more like "realizing what I fail to have in my childhood days :cry: " So now triple headache.

AgnesMM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby applepie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:44 pm

Can someone enlighten what is ICR? What do they teach? Where are they located?

applepie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby barney » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi Agnes

Is Charmaine in a child care centre now? My gal has also been pestering us for a pet dog but we said no, her nanny's house has a puppy so I told her she could play with it after school and she help to walk the dog in the evenings too.
So have you decided which school for registration? I'll be trying for Poi Ching (which is within 2 km), if the applicants in phase 2C does not exceed the available places by too much as not sure if luck will be with me during balloting.

Hi Applepie
ICR is I Can Read, they teach phonics and reading. I think there are quite a few of these centres on the island, east side I know there's 1 in whitesands (Pasir Ris), east point (Simei) and katong mall.

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby AgnesMM » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:06 pm

hi Barney,

Charmaine is in Pat's K2 this year and due for P1 registration soon too. I have done some PV at St Anthony's Canossian but we may want to try Poi Ching as well. We are just outside 1km for Poi Ching (ooppps). So not sure what are the chances like too. We applied PV at St Hilda's when Charmaine was 2ish years old but they told us to get back in couple of years time. And when we applied for PV on the supposingly year, they made us wait for good 10months before they announce the outcome - we FAILED! We appealed but got us no where. And we can't get into other school for PV program - SIGH :( Anyway, hubby not keen in that school anymore :evil: . Maybe too many top students and popularity lately! Regret that we put all hopes on St Hilda's - I should have applied all over the place :!:

Wrt pets, Charmaine was the one who asked for a puppy. And since she is the only child and always at home with maid, we tot it is a good idea to get her a companion. But it soon beome more of our pet than hers. Anyway, we have two shih tzus now - maybe more to come - ha ha :wink:

And for applepie, you may want to take a look at ICR's weblink. Charmaine does her program in Katong Mall :P
http://www.icanreadsystem.com/

AgnesMM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs