mummy dibo : hyperactive child?

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

mummy dibo : hyperactive child?

Postby dibo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:05 am

hi, i'm new in this forum, still finding my way ard..
i'm a working mother & have a ds who is 3yrs 8 mths old :D

my ds is currently with PCF , N2. Got a feedback from the meet-parent seesion recently that he could be hyperactive & was advice to send him for assessment...teacher said that he can't sit still for 5mins..
always running about in class & distrub his classmate..affect the class learning..@__@..

but, i think he is perfectly fine with me leh, can sit & do flashcard & write with me at home....

should i still bring him to see doc??? advice anybody?

dibo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby blue » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:36 am

hi dibo,

if you think he is perfectly fine, you might want to wait and see.

my ds2 teacher recently also feedback that when ds2 joined the childcare N1 class last year, he was very active and move around alot. his behaviour only gets better recently although sometimes teacher still has to ask him to keep quiet so as not to interrupt her teaching.

blue
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby RRMummy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:41 am

Hi dibo, :welcome: to KSP

How long has your DS joined the PCF? Could it be that he is still adjusting to the environment? Bored? Missing you? :(

I had the same problem with my DD1 roaming around the class when she first joined. I noticed she got easily bored and distracted when they were not doing activities with active participation. Also, she being the active extrovert with short attention span did not help...

But gradually, I saw good improvement when I found out more about what the class was doing, and talked to her teacher more about how she reacts to certain stuff, her interests, her habits... the teacher was kind enough to get her to sit infront allow her to help flip the pages when reading, answer questions, share ideas (she loves to talk :roll: )..

Once she got 'involved' with what the whole class was doing, she managed to sit down more.. :wink:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby dibo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:05 am

hi Blue & RRMummy,

my ds started N2 with PCF this yr...he was with half day NTUC childcare for 6 mths. he stay with nanny during wkdays, i only bring him back for good last dec...

his teacher did asked him to beside her during class, but my ds know & didnt like it, he can even tell the teacher, he is a good boy...
all the while he is a active kid, love to run ard, always walk on his own in shopping centre & supermarket, i have hard time "shouting" for him..

maybe u r rite, he need time to adjust & get used to the new routine...
hopefully he will settle down in next half yr...

another worry, is his speech, his speech is rather slow...
how well should a child speak during his age? any advice? thinking of sending him to a phonic class, but was afraid that he wont be able to catch up...

dibo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby RRMummy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 am

dibo wrote:his teacher did asked him to beside her during class, but my ds know & didnt like it, he can even tell the teacher, he is a good boy...

:lol: Kids nowadays sure know what they want1 :wink:

dibo wrote:another worry, is his speech, his speech is rather slow...
how well should a child speak during his age? any advice? thinking of sending him to a phonic class, but was afraid that he wont be able to catch up...

I have heard many mentioned that boys generally develop slower than girls in the speech area. Don't worry, just talk to him more, try to always bring yourself to his level when you talk to him (even when you are busy doing something.. ) it helps alot that they see your mouth when you talk.. they learn faster that way..

You may still send him for the phonics class if you think he is ready and already knows his abc.. maybe opt for trial class then decide.. maybe take it that he is there to have fun.. :wink:

I had a nephew who was slow at speech and at 5+yo we still had problem understanding what he was saying.. of course he was super frustrated when we kept asking him to repeat what he was trying to say or misunderstood him.. then during the next gathering (he was 6+ then), the problem was not there any more... now he is 10yo and a great talker! :P

We have to be diligent to monitor their situation lest we overlook some worrisome issues.. but don't get over-stress yet.. you are not alone.. some of us here have encountered them too.. share with us..
and hope you find lots of useful tips here.. do check out the other threads like working with children etc..

:celebrate:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby blue » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:31 am

dibo wrote:hi Blue & RRMummy,

all the while he is a active kid, love to run ard, always walk on his own in shopping centre & supermarket, i have hard time "shouting" for him..

another worry, is his speech, his speech is rather slow...

haha... I know how it is like being the mother of 2 "wild" boys. with an active kid around, hard to keep our image, just got to shout at him to make sure he is safe.

ds2 started talking in sentences only end last year, very slow in speech as compared to ds1. he learns phonics in his childcare and also at MMI. his progress is very slow, we revise at home too but still ..... will let him continue cos ds1 can read well after attending 2 yrs of phonics.

blue
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby dibo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:52 am

yup, children nowsaday are very smart!..not like last time, we "gong gong" one, just follow instructions...

i lost my image long time ago, hahaha... just that i will try not to shout too loud , as long as he is within safe distance, i will not shout at him...

ya, i also heard that boy tends to speak slowly than girl, but not 100% true, my ds classmate speak very well & he is a dec bb..

its very frustrated for both him &f us when we dont understand what he is trying to tell us & most of the time, end up he sobbing..i try to be patience with him, but i know, i'm not being good enough...
he is slowly picking up words & can now comminicate better , in sense that, we know what he want...

i dont know whether he is ready for phonic class, but a trial lesson seems no harm...any good recommedation?

dibo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby blue » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:23 am

ds1 took his phonics lessons at zoo-phonics while ds2 is attending his at MMI. personally, still prefer zoo-phonics.

blue
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:52 pm

dibo wrote:all the while he is a active kid, love to run ard, always walk on his own in shopping centre & supermarket, i have hard time "shouting" for him..

my 2.5yo is the same. bring him out is a challenge. Just yesterday, he ran missing inside Popular Bookstore, made me panicked a while before finding him playing with one of the display. He nearly knocked down a much younger child too, much to the anger of the kid's mum :oops:

Shout at him only managed to catch his attention like say, 2 sec?
dibo wrote:another worry, is his speech, his speech is rather slow...
how well should a child speak during his age? .

Hm...are active kids generally speak lesser? I faced the same issue too.

For his activeness, i am the one who prewarn his school teachers (he is starting his PreN end of this month) to expect him to be unable to sit and need to run around. His teachers told me that it is expected at his age however they will also expect him to sit for some periods of time eg reading/assembly. Should see how...can't say I didn't warn them already :wink:

Welcome to KSP. 8)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby RRMummy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:17 pm

dibo wrote:ya, i also heard that boy tends to speak slowly than girl, but not 100% true, my ds classmate speak very well & he is a dec bb..

Hmm.. maybe you can check if the classmate has elder siblings.. another trend which I am trying to verify.. thanks! :wink:

dibo wrote:i dont know whether he is ready for phonic class, but a trial lesson seems no harm...any good recommedation?

Alot of discussion on this going on in here: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... .php?t=584

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs