Mummy kiwikath: Just moved to Singapore - help me preschool!

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy kiwikath: Just moved to Singapore - help me preschool!

Postby kiwikath » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi, am new to Kiasu forum, and to Singapore!

I am desperately trying to find a good preschool for my 4 year old twins. Have looked at local and international preschool options, finding it a bit difficult to understand the differences between them.

We have a local Cherie Hearts in our Bedok neighbourhood, but it doesn't seem like a very stimulating environment. I am keen on the NAFA kindergarten, but they said we needed to be PR or get an ICA card before we could register.

Loved Rosemount international pre-school but school fees are mega expensive!!!

Can anyone who lives in the East Coast area advise what schools are based on an "enquiry learning" style of curriculum, and that have a reasonable amount of outside space for play?

kiwikath
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Welcome!

Postby buds » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:50 pm

I've visited Chatsworth @ Orchard and find it is a good school for
expatriates and locals alike. Has a very open door concept and
all the kids looked extremely happy in the vibrant environment.
I'm not sure though if the Chatsworth East has kindergarten
programme. Here's a link for your reference > Chatsworth Kindergarten.

Hope it helps!

:celebrate:

Btw, a BIG welcome to KiasuParents!

:welcome:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Chatsworth

Postby kiwikath » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks for the tip on Chatsworth, i've now got an appointment with the East campus on Tuesday.
We have had a relocation person to help us look for schools, but they have been useless, as they only know the schools in the Holland and Bukit Timah areas - don't seem to know the East Coast area at all!! :stupid:

kiwikath
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby hquek » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:13 pm

hi kiwikath,

Have you tried the extremely informative listing in KS website?

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... s-children

Not sure what your budget is but I see there is Etonhouse, Pat's schoolhouse in the east. Both are established brands in Singapore.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby amylqf » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:34 am

welcome to our forum!

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Chatsworth

Postby buds » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:10 am

kiwikath wrote:Thanks for the tip on Chatsworth, i've now got an
appointment with the East campus on Tuesday. We have had a relocation
person to help us look for schools, but they have been useless, as they only
know the schools in the Holland and Bukit Timah areas - don't seem to know
the East Coast area at all!! :stupid:

Hope Chatsworth works for you, kiwikath!
All my best! :wink:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby IJJ » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:52 am

Hihi,

Where do you come from? We resided in the States for couple of years and when we returned, my elder gal was 5, we did have some issues placing her in a Singapore Preschool environment. Visited a few and she did not like almost all of them. In the end, we settled down with MMI(Phoenix Walk). The teachers were kind and patient (very) with her. With her not willing to be constrained in classroom environment, resist to putting on uniform, the teachers took alot of effort to settle her down. In about 2 months' time, she went to school without much relunctance anymore.

I, personally, think this restructured Montessori school allowed some flexibilities/freedom for the kids. On the other, its classroom lessons help to adapt them into formal education format so that they can transit into primary schools without much difficulties.

Most importantly, teachers' patience and their passion to teach are the most main factors in any kid's learning. Some preschools carry good brands, but w/o 'good' teachers. The opposite can be true too.

I have heard good comments about Cherie Heart, Pat's Schoolhouse and Eton House, but have not placed any of my kids with them. I reside in the West, so unable to help you with specific preschool in the East(Bedok), Wish you all the best in your preschool search!! :)

Cheers,
Joyce

IJJ
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Newbies & Clubs