Mummy ribena: greetings fr UK soon-to-be KSP

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy ribena: greetings fr UK soon-to-be KSP

Postby ribena » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:30 pm

Hello
I'm a mum of 2 boys age 6 & 3 currently living in South of UK. My eldest has Asperger syndrome and the other has severe communication disorder.

Will be relocating to Spore around Novena area in Oct. Need advice on schooling for eldest who's finishing Year 1 at the local school here.
Tried ACS,St Joseph Jr. Tried Tunglin and and UWC. All advice to go on waiting list.
No problem for younest as I've found Chiltern House with therapy department that provide Speech&language therapy, occupational therapy etc which my son is currently having. Unless anyone with any other suggestion as to where else I can find preschool with learning support/early intervention etc.

Any help, any advice...much needed and much appreciated.

Anxious Mum

ribena
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kelamel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:24 am

kelamel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: greetings fr UK soon-to-be KSP

Postby jedamum » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:48 am

ribena wrote:Hello
I'm a mum of 2 boys age 6 & 3 currently living in South of UK. My eldest has Asperger syndrome and the other has severe communication disorder.

hi ribena,

firstly, welcome to KSP.

Is Asperger syndrome similar to Autism? How is your kid's condition - cos that will determine if he is more suitable to school at normal schools that provide assistance in this area or special schools who has a different curriculum framework.

just did some googling...i think maybe you can get more help here.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ribena » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi again

Sorry for the late reply..busy with therapy & yet more hospital appoinments..Its now official that my youngest has Social Communication disorder and ASD. :(

Anyway, back to your question..Yes, Aspergers is like Autism. On the mild side and basically lack social sence. Likes to play with friends but always get it wrong. Stands out because doesnt share common interests..Boys here are mad about things such as BenTen, Transformer..superheroes..he's just into motor/engine/fans etc. He does not have learning difficulties and is doing well in the local mainstream school.

My worry is wheter he'll be able to get use to the Singapore education system.. My son school bag is basically a very light thin folder. Apart from bringing 2 books home to read every week there's no other homework (all done in school).

Can anyone tell me what a typical school day is like for the local primary 1 or 2 children like (homework/test?).

Thanks.

ribena
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby amylqf » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:00 am

It depends.

Some popular primary schools are with loads of homework.
some neighbourhood schools are quite relaxed.

but I will say equip with your child with reading ability is a must.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Newbies & Clubs