A New Phase of Parenting

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

A New Phase of Parenting

Postby lowfatlatte » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi All,

I'm Jo and a single mom of a teen and a 10-yr old. I thought I was doing ok as a mom (meaning i'm not terrorising my kids or giving them a terrible childhood) until my girl hit her "teens" this year. All of a sudden whatever I had been doing with her is now being challenged and we started having shouting matches and attitudes and breakdowns....I have "officially" started a new phase in parenting. My once sweet and lovable girl aint so lovable now :stupid: I have learnt through trials and error and one thing i realise is that alone time with her (just her and me) is very very important. Thus i try and schedule time in at least once a month for her. Since then, things have improved tremendously. I want to be a mom with integrity and involved in both my kids' lives. I still have alot to learn.
So i hope I can learn and seek advise from more experience moms here and ride out the teenage years...

Thanks!

lowfatlatte
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: A New Phase of Parenting

Postby buds » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm already experiencing what you are going thru with my firstborn girl. And she's only 10! :cry: They grow up sooo fast. Yes, quality individual time with EACH child is VERY important and I now have to set aside for 4 kiddies plus buds_hubs too. *pant pant* :sweat:

For me, being in the know of what's current with teens these days from songs.. fashion.. lingo.. etc. She would be quite impressed that my iPhone songs contain songs from 1 Direction and wat nots.. or if I get her tees that are IN right now.. I goof and dance around with my kiddies rocking out and letting loose at home all of us together. While they're trying to find their identity as growing individuals (because it seems they have a lot of these me, myself and I thingies) I like them to know whoever they grow up to be, we will still be family. Go for makan sessions at her favourite hang outs & also spend time with gramps, relatives, cousins (extended family) hoping she's still rooted to strong kinship and retain our family values.

I also learn to let go bit by bit... trying to also understand my little cutie angelic pie has grown up and is now a growing little lady.

I remind her from time to time how I love her. She likes that.. She will show me this smile I can't describe.. it's deep.. so I know she feels what I'm feeling.

New phase of parenting awrite..

Read u around Jo.. u take care now. :snuggles: Being a single mom makes it all more challenging.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zarahsmom » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 am

Hi Jo,

am also a single mom, tho my DD is still in her lovable phase (at 6 yo)..i will be following this thread too..

i would also probably follow the advise of the previous poster.. and will also include you in my prayers..

zarahsmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby buds » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 am

This one's for you, zarahsmom. :hugs:

Hope you have a good week ahead. :please:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zarahsmom » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:57 pm