Is PSLE a must take for all P6 kids ?

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Is PSLE a must take for all P6 kids ?

Postby Verkyl » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:35 pm

My husband is posting to US to work for two years. My daughter will be in Primary six next year, is PSLE a must? Can she join Sec 2 when she returns ?

My son is Sec 2, can he join sec 4 when he returns two years later? Will the school accept him ?
I was thinking if it will be better for both to finish the PSLE and Sec 2, will this be easily for them to join the local education system by just missing 1 year?

Verkyl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Is PSLE a must take for all P6 kids ?

Postby jtoh » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:59 pm

No, PSLE is not a must. Your children can take a returning Singaporeans test for placement into Singapore schools when they come home. Details are on MOE website.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Verkyl » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Thank you for yr reply. Can she join sec 2 if she misses her sec 1?

Verkyl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Ichigokun » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Verkyl wrote:My husband is posting to US to work for two years. My daughter will be in Primary six next year, is PSLE a must? Can she join Sec 2 when she returns ?

My son is Sec 2, can he join sec 4 when he returns two years later? Will the school accept him ?
I was thinking if it will be better for both to finish the PSLE and Sec 2, will this be easily for them to join the local education system by just missing 1 year?

WAH... US sia! :drool:

Have fun there ^_^

Um... I don't think there's a problem. There used to be this pair of siblings in my primary school that migrated to US. They often come back to Singapore to visit and I see them sometimes in school even if they are in school in US.

It won't be a problem.

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Verkyl wrote:Thank you for yr reply. Can she join sec 2 if she misses her sec 1?

Yes, as long as she takes SPERS (the placement test) and gets a sec school place, or you approach a school and she is given a place. You can do that when you return to Singapore. However, if she is judged to be behind Sec 2 standard because of her time away, the school may ask her to go into sec 1 instead. Even if you have her take the PSLE and get a school place through the S1 posting then take Leave of Absence (details on MOE website), the school may reserve the right to test her and decide what level to place her in when you return. My daughter took PSLE last year and we are returning mid-sec 2, and the school has said that they will test her before deciding which level to place her.

For your son, since he is already in a sec school, you may want to consider applying for Leave of Absence from his sec school so he has a place reserved when he returns. Not many schools are willing to take a new student in a major exam year. You should probably also have a talk with his principal before you go about how best to prepare him for the 'O' levels if he is coming back that year.

Another thing to note is that your children are not likely to receive exemption from MT as they will be away for less than 2 yrs, so you will need to find ways for them to keep up in that subject too. This is especially important for your son if he is going to be taking 'O' levels almost immediately.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Verkyl » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Thank you for the useful info.

My girl is thinking of going MGS and they are going IB next year. Does MGS usually take in in Sec 2?

Verkyl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Verkyl wrote:Thank you for the useful info.

My girl is thinking of going MGS and they are going IB next year. Does MGS usually take in in Sec 2?

I have no idea. That's a question you should ask the school. Is your daughter in the Pr school now and are you an alumni member? That could help.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Ichigokun wrote:
Verkyl wrote:My husband is posting to US to work for two years. My daughter will be in Primary six next year, is PSLE a must? Can she join Sec 2 when she returns ?

WAH... US sia! :drool:

Have fun there ^_^

Um... I don't think there's a problem. There used to be this pair of siblings in my primary school that migrated to US. They often come back to Singapore to visit and I see them sometimes in school even if they are in school in US.

It won't be a problem.

This is different case. Those kids already had a relationship with the school and probably came back on an immersion basis. My kids have done that too. I was very surprised when my daughter's Pr school (she was on leave of absence) allowed her to return in June to take her PSLE that same year without my having to beg and plead. I'm not sure that all schools will be so accommodating for the boy returning in Sec 4 as MOE's stated policy is that students are discouraged from returning in major exam years.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Newbies & Clubs