Early Education for my young ones

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Early Education for my young ones

Postby sakura83 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi all

I'm a mother of two, both age 2 and 5 and am very worried about my little young ones.

with the recent competition in education, i'm afraid that they might not be able to catch up when they start school.. been a kiasu parent, i wish to know if there is some education system out there that could assist my little ones..

i believe everyone is worried as well..

from a kiasu parent..

sakura83
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Early Education for my young ones

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:43 pm

My kids are teens so I speak from experience. I think the worst thing you can do for young kids is to worry about exams. Spend the years you have on building up a good foundation in languages, numeracy and general knowledge. You don't have to have a 'system' - just encourage them to love books, asking questions, physical activities and creative arts. Don't be tempted to test and quiz at every turn, or worry about whether they can cope with school exams, but let them learn to read, write, add, subtract etc through their interests. A child with a good foundation and a good attitude towards learning can cope with any Pr school exam given a few weeks of preparation, let alone a whole year. Read reliable information about child development and don't be swayed by what 'everyone' (including ill-informed preschool teachers) says if it's not backed up by proper research. I know many will not agree, but this is what I believe and what has worked for my kids. Please note that I am not saying that kids should not learn anything prior to P1; my point is that teaching to the Pr school syllabus is far too narrow a target.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mdmlow » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:55 am

Tuition? Enrichment classes? Depending on how much $ time effort you want to spend? But your love is more important :)

mdmlow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lasery2k » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:50 pm

my son is 26mths now...i put him at enrichment class once a week since 18mths..acadamic wise he's faster then other kids which i mix him with in the neighbourhood when i bring him downstairs to play...compare him to the peers in childcare he looses out in self independence.

so there's good and bad loh...there was once i met up with my husband pri sch teacher by chance at a hawker. the couple encourage us to speak chinese to him n teach him chinese first..while english can pick up in school..

but my hm all speak english..so now trying hard to let him catch up with the chinese...he might be 2 years old now..but his chinese level is like 1 years old...only can recognise simple words regarding to fruits, numbers, body parts n some items..

but to me..i still okie with him nt going to childcare or play group until 3 years old. at home i will read to him daily with a mixture of chinese or english story book then teach him via flip chart..(can get at popular) they have alot. very good tool..

lasery2k
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Newbies & Clubs