Mummy sablim: Newbie Mummy & worried about P1 registrati

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy sablim: Newbie Mummy & worried about P1 registrati

Postby sablim » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:15 am

Hi all

I'm a newbie to this website but have been coming back quite often to look at all the P1 registration info! really helps to understand more about the system, balloting etc etc wish I knew about this much earlier..

Anyway I've got a prince that I'm going to register under phase 2C this wk and another princess that is only 4..

I'm in a minority group of mummies that are S'porean but live in JB. (for me coz of hubby) Though i still work in S'pore but I've been in 2 minds about where to send my kids to school..

anyway since i stay in JB, obvious choice would be in woodlands. but my listed address is in the east (my parents place) so i'm not sure whether i will be disadvantaged since its not within 2km? or would they even consider me since i stay in JB..

I've been considering woodgrove or woodlands but not sure where would my chances be higher since woodgrove seems to have higher chances of having to ballot? Any advice anyone?

sablim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Newbie Mummy & worried about P1 registration!!

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:37 am

sablim wrote:... anyway since i stay in JB, obvious choice would be in woodlands. but my listed address is in the east (my parents place) so i'm not sure whether i will be disadvantaged since its not within 2km? or would they even consider me since i stay in JB...

Hi sablim, welcome to KiasuParents.com!

I'm not sure if you should use your listed address for P1 registration if you do not intend to let your child stay there. Will your child be commuting across the causeway daily?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby sablim » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:15 am

Thanks for the welcome!

As I'll still stay in JB in the short term, if he does study in woodlands he will be commuting across the causeway daily.

Though if i don't use my listed address, the school will definately look at my IC?

Actually, much as I would like him to study in s'pore, I'm also quite worried about the daily commuting, not sure whether he can take it..

So i thought i should at least register him in woodlands so that there is an option for him to study there? Also not sure if i should register at woodgrove or woodlands to have a higher chance of getting enrolled in phase 2C..

Confused mum... :?:

sablim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:20 am

sablim wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

As I'll still stay in JB in the short term, if he does study in woodlands he will be commuting across the causeway daily.

Though if i don't use my listed address, the school will definately look at my IC?

Actually, much as I would like him to study in s'pore, I'm also quite worried about the daily commuting, not sure whether he can take it..

So i thought i should at least register him in woodlands so that there is an option for him to study there? Also not sure if i should register at woodgrove or woodlands to have a higher chance of getting enrolled in phase 2C..

Confused mum... :?:

It is a difficult situation for you. It is not correct for you to use your listed address in Singapore as neither you nor your son stays there. I suspect you have to use your JB address for the registration, and go in at the greater than 2km priority bucket.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby FMz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:34 am

Woodland has over the years been a choice zone for students across the causeway (the # of school speaks for itself).

i think even if u are not particular abt the schools, there will still be much choices even at phrase 3?

but commuting across the woodland causeway is really a chore. I know of colleagues who stay in JB, but went back via 2nd link, reaching home earlier than their kids.

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby amylqf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:58 pm

not sure about your areas, so not much comment.

Welcome you then.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sablim » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanks for all the comments.. :D

Just for info, I spoke to the Vice principal of woodgrove and he mentioned that though I stay in JB, they would go by the listed address in your IC. Anyway since my listed address is in the east area, I would be classified as >2km.

He said not high chance of getting in since >2km and according to past 2 yrs experience, they may even need to ballot if >1km but said can try putting in first and if by 3rd day there are too many applicants I can have a choice of withdrawing and putting in for another school that would stand higher chances in phase 2C for >2km.

So will try that route first and by 3rd day if too many applicants, I'll withdraw and apply for woodlands pri since higher chances of getting in for phase 2C.

Current vacancies as at today at woodgrove is 30 whereas woodlands has abt 55% vacancies filled. not sure if 30 vacancies considered low or high chance? Will try and go tomorrow to put in. wish me luck! :D

sablim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:40 pm

sablim wrote:...Current vacancies as at today at woodgrove is 30 whereas woodlands has abt 55% vacancies filled. not sure if 30 vacancies considered low or high chance? Will try and go tomorrow to put in. wish me luck! :D

If you are trying Woodlands Primary, you should not have a problem getting in at Phase 2C even if you are more than 2km. For Woodgrove, you would be lucky if you even get to ballot.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby sablim » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:02 am

oh really? so maybe I shouldn't even waste my time to put in an application at woodgrove then?

actually for woodlands area, seems like woodlands pri is not an extremely sought after school, not sure if anyone knows why?

how would the schools in woodlands be listed in terms of popularity or academic results? think so far fuchun, admiralty and evergreen seems to be very popular..

sablim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:15 am

sablim wrote:oh really? so maybe I shouldn't even waste my time to put in an application at woodgrove then? ...

Like the Principal said, put in your registration in woodgrove first. The moment you find out from the woodgrove that balloting will occur at less than 2km, withdraw your application and go register in Woodlands Primary.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs