Daddy PoorDaDdY: A little problem im facing

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Daddy PoorDaDdY: A little problem im facing

Postby PoorDaDdY » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi to all.....

got to know this forum and was wondering some of the seniors here can help mi out on this :

Sometimes i feel like im not close with my princess as she is being take care of by my mum. As working parent, i practically outside 12hrs a day plus 7hrs of sleep that only left me 5hrs with her everyday......sad to say she have to sleep early....At most only left 2-3hrs signzzzz.

I try to install some discipline in her but most of the time she will run to my mum side. i understand that its normal cos she is with my mum all the time and she as a grandparent they like to adore her.

Just wondering how do you guys as working parent maintane a good relationship with your little ones??

PoorDaDdY
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: A little problem im facing

Postby FMz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:51 pm

PoorDaDdY wrote:Hi to all.....

got to know this forum and was wondering some of the seniors here can help mi out on this :

Sometimes i feel like im not close with my princess as she is being take care of by my mum. As working parent, i practically outside 12hrs a day plus 7hrs of sleep that only left me 5hrs with her everyday......sad to say she have to sleep early....At most only left 2-3hrs signzzzz.

I try to install some discipline in her but most of the time she will run to my mum side. i understand that its normal cos she is with my mum all the time and she as a grandparent they like to adore her.

Just wondering how do you guys as working parent maintane a good relationship with your little ones??

can understand your predicament, more so that I ma studying part time now.

but hey, you got your weekend, try to work on tat :)

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RRMummy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi PoorDaddy, yes, many parents as myself and DH are facing the same problem as you.. really hope we could have more time with them daily..but we will have to make the very most of the remaining waking hours daily..

ah.. grandparents, I tell my dad, he lets my gals get away with things which we surely would have kenna scolding for when we were young.. :| kids nowadays are very smart.. they know who to ask -for what..and who is their "leaning mountain"... maybe you can try to talk to your mom.. sometimes even when DH says yes to TV (tricked by my gals) when I already said no, I will still insist and switch it off. They will protest but they know there is no way out anymore..of course I must make sure DH won't object right infront of them... it is really tough but with consistency it is working out ok..

As I spend about 1-2 hours more than my DH on weekdays and extra Sats with them, I take over the disciplining part almost all the time. :roll: This way DH will not be seen as the fierce scolding one with the limited daily hours he has with them..

DH, once home, will give them hugs, fling them up for aeroplane zooming etc and just joke with them for awhile before he goes wash up for his dinner.. they will look forward to this fun time everynight..:wink: (no way I can have energy for all the flings and swings..)

err.. but my gals needs a little pushing sometimes, so even when they are engrossed in TV or game, I'll just remind them to go greet daddy..

nowadays, I don't need to call DH if he is late by half hour from his usual timing.. somehow my 3yo will sense the time and start asking why daddy not home and request to call Daddy... hah :lol: pressures the daddy to come home right away... :love: You don't know what my gals can get away doing.. :lol:

Weekends we always go for short outings together - meals, window shopping, beach, park, swimming (DD will surely stick to DH since he allows her to perform stunts which l'll freak out).. we try to stay away from TV for half a day at least so that there is less staring into the box and more bonding... sometimes we would also watch cartoons/kids movie or play games together with them in our laps...oh yes, and reading to them before bedtime with loads of animation and tickling and hugs.. :love:

hopefully, as others have said - it is quality time not quantity of time spent that matters most...

:celebrate:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby daisyt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:58 pm

hi poordaddy, how old is your girl now ? Always tell yourself, its the quality of time counts, not the quantity.

You can read story books for her before bedtime, just 15 mins needed to read, then spend another 1/2 hr talking to her on the bed. Talk about her day, her friends, the TV programes, her toys, anything under the sun can be the topics. Finally kiss her good night and tug her in.

There are many other things you can do with her too. Playing some games together, watching TV programes together and make some discussion. Pack school bag with her, show her some interesting websites, eg. kiasuparents :D or education websites or even youtubes.

If she has soft toys, role play the soft toys with her.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Andaiz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:14 pm

PoorDaDdY wrote:I try to install some discipline in her but most of the time she will run to my mum side. i understand that its normal cos she is with my mum all the time and she as a grandparent they like to adore her.

PoorDaddy,

To quote my mum, "grandparent's job is to spoil the kid; your job as a parent is to discipline"...and SHE'S still the one the kids fear and love at the same time.

WRT to spending time with DD, it's really about quality (do the things she likes!!) plus quantity - you still have weekends 48 hours - 14 hours for sleep...plenty to work with, actually.

The kids remember the significant AND mundane things you do with them. RRMummy and daisyt have very good suggestions. Started out bedtime reading and conversation with DD1. Now she and I take turns to read to the younger gals and they simply love it! DH is the go-to person for laughter and horsing around...the FUN GUY! as well.

So take heart, we all have 24 hours...we need to prioritize and then spend the time thus...instead of fretting over lost time :lol:

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

my little trouble

Postby PoorDaDdY » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:21 pm

Myprincess is 18mnths old and she aready know who is the soft ones and who is the discipline ones .....nowadays childern are much smarter then the last times liaozzzz.......

PoorDaDdY
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: my little trouble

Postby Andaiz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:23 pm

PoorDaDdY wrote:Myprincess is 18mnths old and she aready know who is the soft ones and who is the discipline ones .....nowadays childern are much smarter then the last times liaozzzz.......

Wait till she grows older and is able to charm the gramps...then grandma'd be eating out of her hands kekeke!

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:34 pm

So paiseh to say that even now, sometimes I still role play the soft toys with my 13yo girl and we still enjoy it. :oops: :oops: :love:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby amylqf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:48 pm

Welcome.

I used to have similar problem too. what I did to solve the problem was sending my in-law back to their home (seperate the child from the grandmother) and I take charge. Until the child bond with me well, then grandmother can come and stay with us. I know it might not feasible to you.
then get the mutual understanding that you are responsible for your child's future.

hope it helps.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Newbies & Clubs