Mummy haiz: Thank you for setting up this forum

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy haiz: Thank you for setting up this forum

Postby haiz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi

I am newbie to this website. I want to say a big thank you to Chief and all the rest whose contributions made this site interesting and informative !

I am currently residing in US and found out about this website while trying to get more information about Primary schools registration in Singapore. This is one of the best local websites that is also a one stop shop :D

After reading through, and now currently experiencing Phase 2C myself - I realise that Kiasu is a universal syndrome in all parents who want to help their kids (not necessarily getting into top schools, but understanding what is best for the child and getting the suitable schooling environment for the child)

While in US - it's almost the same system - people move to good school districts to get a place for their child; parents pulling alumni or other connections to get into private/ elite schools.

So the good news is - we are all pretty "normal" :)

The bad news for me is - after viewing all the test papers and the necessary P1 preparations - I am floored and speechless ... maybe it's time to return to Singapore to get some real education for my girls ! The standards are just way ahead of the good private schools here !

Anyway - thank you to all !

haiz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Mummy haiz: Thank you for setting up this forum

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:49 pm

haiz wrote:Hi

I am newbie to this website. I want to say a big thank you to Chief and all the rest whose contributions made this site interesting and informative !

I am currently residing in US and found out about this website while trying to get more information about Primary schools registration in Singapore. This is one of the best local websites that is also a one stop shop :D

After reading through, and now currently experiencing Phase 2C myself - I realise that Kiasu is a universal syndrome in all parents who want to help their kids (not necessarily getting into top schools, but understanding what is best for the child and getting the suitable schooling environment for the child)

While in US - it's almost the same system - people move to good school districts to get a place for their child; parents pulling alumni or other connections to get into private/ elite schools.

So the good news is - we are all pretty "normal" :)

The bad news for me is - after viewing all the test papers and the necessary P1 preparations - I am floored and speechless ... maybe it's time to return to Singapore to get some real education for my girls ! The standards are just way ahead of the good private schools here !

Anyway - thank you to all !

Thank you for your comments, haiz, and welcome to KiasuParents.com all the way back home here in Singapore! It sounds like your child will be going to P1 next year... are you coming back to Singapore? It can be quite disruptive for your child as he will not only have to adapt to the Singaporean culture, but also tackle the tough education system at the same time! The biggest challenge any Chinese kid face when they return to the Singaporean education system from the US is the Chinese language. It is very difficult to expect the child to have a command of the language near what he/she is expected in Primary 1. I feel you should focus on this a bit more.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby haiz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi Chief

Yes I plan to come back to SG for the kids education (2 girls aged 6, 5). But it won't be next year. In fact - I have a big dilemma ... I have CHIJ OLN within 1KM, but I prefer PLMGS (>2KM). I applied to PLMGS regardless and very likely will not even get a chance to ballot. (based on Phase 2C first day result) I compared both schools, they are both ok except I like PLMGS better as it is more centrally located between my place and my in-law's.

Saving grace - we are not coming back next year yet. Probably come back when my girl is entering P3 (or P2). I agree Chinese is the greatest challenge. I am really very apprehensive about returning to Singapore for the Primary school education. Currently, they have spanish as a second language (or at least taught in the school).

My decision is to stick with the school I want, and then try again next year with my second daughter, till hopefully, we get it.

I wish somebody (anyone out there?) can explain to me why CHIJ OLN is so popular ? (Even more popular in terms of enrolment, against PLMGS?)
I am just wondering if I should get a bird in hand, vs trying for the almost impossible.

It's very stressful making such decision - esp when I am just trying to get the girls in a "normal" school - I am not too concern about getting fantastic results, I want them to be able to cope - emotionally, and academically. They have been studying in US for the last three years - and speak with an accent. Last thing I want is for them to get teased in school, and loathe school.

Any advice from forummers will be appreciated !

haiz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby amylqf » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi, welcome!

Actually it doesn't really matter which school you chose, the most important is what kind of teacher you meet. that's what my neighbour said, who has teached students from all over singapore schools for the past ten years.

If I were you and worried about whether can adapt to singapore system, I would move back when the child is going to p1. NOT p2 or p3 as they might not able to catch up at that time. In the end, you might want to transfer the children to international school in Singapore. This incident did happen.

Alternatively, If $$ is not a problem, you might let them going all the way to international school until they are in university. International school do have their advantages, such as not so academic driven, kids is more relaxed, lesser myopia case, etc...

hope it helps.
Last edited by amylqf on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby haiz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:59 am

Thanks ! I thought international school is for non- Singaporean kids only ? My girls are born in Singapore, to both Singaporean parents ... and no - we don't have a choice as to when we come back to Singapore. Ideally yes P1 but impossible for now. It's always the same problems facing all my other frens who are relocated overseas ... at some point, our children will need to face the challenges and learn to cope with a very different academic culture.

haiz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Welcome

Postby buds » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:12 am

Heyya haiz, firstly :welcome: to KiasuParents!
Secondly, what say you if someone buys the
textbooks & assessments from here in SG and
post them to you? This will help you and yer
kiddies keep in touch with the local syllabus
till the time you get back here.

If you can teach Mandarin yourself, good!
But if not, i'm sure there will be tutors available
there too if you advertise for one and use the
Chinese books we're using here during tutoring..

3 years there, i'm sure their Spanish is powderful liao! :!:
Even if you come back here i think they should just
continue with that as a 3rd language, since they oredi
have a good few years headstart.

As for the accent, i dun think they'll be laughed at.
They must sound awesomely CUTE! :wink:

You take care.

PS : What time is it there now?

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:48 am

Hello haiz, and welcome! ^_^

International schs are also an option for children who have returned from overseas but cannot adapt/cope with the S'pore education system. I think you may need to check with the international sch(s) you want and they can advise you on the steps to take to get approval, etc.

My cousins left for USA with their parents when they were about P3 and K2. They took French as 2nd language there and only came back when they were Sec 2 and P5. They were exempted from Chinese classes but had to continue taking French outside of normal class time, probably at MOE Language Centre. Now, the older cousin speaks only basic Chinese and cannot read Chinese but she is more fluent in Cantonese (although she is Hainanese). I suppose her French is much better since I don't understand French and therefore, have never conversed with her in that language.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby haiz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks for the info ! I suppose I can get all help :)

Recently, I found a private tutor from Shanghai who was a teacher there, and migrated to US. She taught my daughter Han Yu Pin Yin and within 3 months of twice weekly classes, my daughter could now read Pin Yin. However, when I reviewed the P1 materials - it's harder than Pin Yin cos' she lacks the vocabulary. It's my fault - I don't speak to my girls in Mandarin though I can speak quite fluently but it's not our default language at home.

International school will be the last option. Depending on when we return, how they perform etc ... I prefer them to learn and understand Chinese. But I am not so looking forward to them doing badly in Chinese exams, and thus, affect their PSLE etc ... ... so they say ... life in Singapore is stresssssful !

:)

haiz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Newbies & Clubs