Mummy mamachris: newbie reporting

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy mamachris: newbie reporting

Postby mamachris » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Good Day to Chief Kiasu & all parents out there,

I am impressed with the indepth information, analysis and sharing from Chief Kiasu and parents in this forum and would very much love to learn from all.

My elder son is currently 4 YO now and will be attending P1 in 2011. I was shocked to understand from some of my friends who have already registered themselves in some top school's PV program.

mamachris
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: newbie reporting

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:46 pm

mamachris wrote:Good Day to Chief Kiasu & all parents out there,

I am impressed with the indepth information, analysis and sharing from Chief Kiasu and parents in this forum and would very much love to learn from all.

My elder son is currently 4 YO now and will be attending P1 in 2011. I was shocked to understand from some of my friends who have already registered themselves in some top school's PV program.

Hi mamachris, and welcome to our kiasu community. You'll be even more shocked to learn about what some of us parents have been doing for our children from birth (or even before birth) just hoping to give them a step ahead in life :D . There seems to be no minimum age when it comes to education these days... which is why there was this editorial in the Straits Times just a few days ago appealing to parents to let children live a carefree life during the 1st 6 years of their lives. Well, our education system doesn't make it easy at all!

Signing up for PV when their children reach 4 years old really isn't that uncommon. Some even do it earlier, and for a good reason too. Some schools will reject PV applications because they only have a small quota for each year. If you were rejected and you keep trying, you do get brownie points (or sympathy points 8) ) such that your chance of getting in subsequently is higher.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby mamachris » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:01 am

Chief,

I feel that the education system has make it such that the parents are at the mercy of the school's principals/teachers if we would like our kids to go into the particular school that we deem will benefit the growth and development of our kids.

I hope when time comes I do not need to get 'sympathy point'. Really cannot imagine myself to be begging a school place for my kids... infront of those school's teachers/principals... They are just educators, someone who can assist parents to inculate knowledge to the young minds and not someone I think will know how well the world/economy operates...

mamachris
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:21 am

mamachris wrote:...I hope when time comes I do not need to get 'sympathy point'. Really cannot imagine myself to be begging a school place for my kids... infront of those school's teachers/principals... They are just educators, someone who can assist parents to inculate knowledge to the young minds and not someone I think will know how well the world/economy operates...

Heheh... no lah... I'm not saying parents who do PV need to grovel at the school administrators' feet. What I mean is that if you try to register for PV and failed to get selected, your chance of getting in the following year is higher. Singapore schools in general are very clean and regulated. No amount of crying in front of the principal can help you get you a place in the school if they are already filled :D .

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

i volunteered for pv now even though my gal is only 4 years

Postby chyanne » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:04 pm

i volunteered for pv now even though my gal is only 4 years old and due for primary 1 in 2011. however both the schools i applied to for pv rejected me saying that it is too early and that i shd write in only next year. do u know if that is really teh case or is it just a nicer way to tell me that the quota for PVs has already been reached and that i dont stand any more chances? ciefkiasu says some do it early but how come the 2 schools i applied to says it is too early? pls advise?

chyanne
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kaitlynangelica » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:38 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
mamachris wrote:Good Day to Chief Kiasu & all parents out there,

Hi mamachris, and welcome to our kiasu community. You'll be even more shocked to learn about what some of us parents have been doing for our children from birth (or even before birth) just hoping to give them a step ahead in life :D . There seems to be no minimum age when it comes to education these days... which is why there was this editorial in the Straits Times just a few days ago appealing to parents to let children live a carefree life during the 1st 6 years of their lives. Well, our education system doesn't make it easy at all!

Signing up for PV when their children reach 4 years old really isn't that uncommon. Some even do it earlier, and for a good reason too. Some schools will reject PV applications because they only have a small quota for each year. If you were rejected and you keep trying, you do get brownie points (or sympathy points 8) ) such that your chance of getting in subsequently is higher.

Chief Kiasu,

Which article is this you are talking about? Can you paste the link here?

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:16 pm

kaitlynangelica wrote:Chief Kiasu,

Which article is this you are talking about? Can you paste the link here?

It was in the Straits Times editorial either on Monday or Sunday Times just a few days ago... yes... I still get my news the old fashion way :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Return to Newbies & Clubs