Mummy wimdils: hi everyone..

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy wimdils: hi everyone..

Postby wimdils » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:59 am

hi everyone, a newbie here.. short description about me..mother of two.. girl is 4 1/2 years and son just turned 3 coupla days ago.
a few thoughts..
with me coping with my studies and rejoining the workforce, i hardly have time to spend with them. the guilt is quite bad. this morning, while driving them to sch, i held a conversation through the rear view mirror, turning around at the traffic lights to see them..
being a former educator, i find it hard to create a balance with academics, creativity, play, morals and virtues with my two.. "holistic'- being the key word here.. a word, to me, easy to preach but hard to practice

what does my nick stand for, came up with it after playing with the words..(sounds a bit like a pet hamster, though.. but i'm sticking with it-- haha)
the multiple roles that most mothers play.. (WIfe, Mother, Daughter, Daughter In Law, Sister)

regards
have a wonderful National day(long weekend!)

wimdils
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby RRMummy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:14 am

Hi wimdils, :welcome: to KSP.com

i'm also a mother of 2. My gals are 5yo and 3yo this year..

so mind me asking what are you studying?

yes, so looking forward to the long weekend.. :D You enjoy yours too, ya!

:celebrate:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby wimdils » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:39 pm

hi hi,

its more like a career change. from educator to currently doing in marketing and tourism management. will be graduating end august, this year, then its back to the grind. let's just say its been a long ride.

just curious ,cserene, what was your criteria when u selected ij Kellock for your girl? u live nearby?

wimdils
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby RRMummy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:52 pm

wimdils wrote: will be graduating end august, this year, then its back to the grind. let's just say its been a long ride.

:congrats: hang in there and you'll be tasting the sweet fruit of your labour very soon..

hmm.. wondering what levels were you teaching and why the decision to change.. sorry me very kaypoh.. :wink:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cserene » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi!
Yeah, stay near. Actually, nearest Pri is Zhangde (walking distance).
But thinking abt Kellocks, cos wld prefer girls' school for my girl.
& hoping she can make it to CHIJ (Sec) in the future. There's a CHIJ Theresa in the vicinity.
:wink:

cserene
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby wimdils » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:19 pm

was teaching in a mission school for 5 years, started out with teaching P2, then was moved up to P4,P5..

the decision to stop, i think, was quite natural for me. i was giving my all to teaching my students and by the time i got home, had to clear marking and that left me little time to spend with my own two. it was the guilt that i was "molding the future of the nation", but not my own. another reason was that it was disheartening to see younger colleagues, who are not as capable, get promoted earlier than me. (my fault, for not studying hard enough in my younger days, so only qualified for the diploma course in NIE) (quite confident to say not being sour grapes, but i knew my worth in the school) n i did get jaded doing the same thing.. lost the passion, i guess.

switching careers was an option,(i had a marketing dip from poly) i thought hard and realised if it was in another field, i would not feel that terrible. of course, studying, was clearly no laughing matter. it was like i needed to split my entire being into parts. haha

wimdils
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schellen » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:28 pm

wimdils wrote:was teaching in a mission school for 5 years, started out with teaching P2, then was moved up to P4,P5..

the decision to stop, i think, was quite natural for me. i was giving my all to teaching my students and by the time i got home, had to clear marking and that left me little time to spend with my own two. it was the guilt that i was "molding the future of the nation", but not my own. another reason was that it was disheartening to see younger colleagues, who are not as capable, get promoted earlier than me. (my fault, for not studying hard enough in my younger days, so only qualified for the diploma course in NIE) (quite confident to say not being sour grapes, but i knew my worth in the school) n i did get jaded doing the same thing.. lost the passion, i guess.

switching careers was an option,(i had a marketing dip from poly) i thought hard and realised if it was in another field, i would not feel that terrible. of course, studying, was clearly no laughing matter. it was like i needed to split my entire being into parts. haha

Hi and welcome! :) We have a number of parents here who are studying or have been studying recently. Maybe you wanna share over at another thread? Just click on the following link:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... php?t=4326

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wimdils » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:34 pm

hi cserene,

oh ok. so like you'd qualify based on distance.. IJ Kellock no balloting? have been thinking about schools for my own two. initially, thought of single sex schools for them, but on hindsight, i think the logistics would kill me. (school buses, extra classes, pick up times, PTMs, u get the picture.. ) so now contemplating co -ed schools. my frens said that the school that i ideally want has not been built yet..haha!!!!!!!! i think, its just the high standards that i expect, but to me, its like playing dice, u do years of research, (PV, community leader) and then hope and pray for the best that the kids also like it too and they, as individuals benefit from it too.
for me, i have been trawling through this website for sometime now.. and have been eliminating, adding schools from my list.. not come to conclusive decision yet.

wimdils
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby RRMummy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:37 pm

wimdils wrote:left me little time to spend with my own two. it was the guilt that i was "molding the future of the nation", but not my own.

OIC...

wimdils wrote:another reason was that it was disheartening to see younger colleagues, who are not as capable, get promoted earlier than me.

I know exactly what you mean.. not nice feeling to be sidelined like that at all! :(

wimdils wrote: switching careers was an option,(i had a marketing dip from poly) i thought hard and realised if it was in another field, i would not feel that terrible. of course, studying, was clearly no laughing matter. it was like i needed to split my entire being into parts. haha

You are very brave!! :ugogirl:

Having to cope with my gals after work, I still dare not venture into taking a part-time course..

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby SGoku » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:58 pm

:welcome: wimdils

You forgotten to add in the word "slave" :rotflmao:

I had seen many parent help their child to carry their bag and say "What you want to eat? Mummy buys for you".

:siam:

SGoku
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs