Mummy Ladybird: Just reported

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Just reported

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi Ladybird, I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. The parental stress that parents who are lucky enough to have healthy kids is nothing compared to what you have to go through. I think you and your daughter are really brave!

When you say MOE does not have "exception handling", I suppose you mean they are very inflexible in giving your daughter priority to get into the school nearest to you? Have you tried talking to the Principal him/herself?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:10 pm

Ladybird wrote:Some clarifications:
My mum initially wanted St Hilda for my kid and the P is her friend. Here are the responses: -: St Hilda's said that we need to PV and too bad that your daughter has leukemia. The P from St. Anthony's Canossian met up with us and told us that they would welcome her whole-heartedly and care for her as the girls there are taught to be compassionate and look out their friends with special needs and 'battles' to overcome!

Hi Ladybird, I understand now why you are such a strong supporter of the Canossian schools. Indeed, some of my own sisters have gone through Canossian education and they are the most compassionate people that I know. So the school is very effective in character-building.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:04 pm

Ladybird wrote:Dear Chief

Are you aware of the fact that there are some schools that do not support PV, turn down parents, do not actively promote or banner-advertise all these PV and in the process skew balloting history results.........
There are some schools that suffer from geographical locations, not near large residential locales but near industrial estates instead....

Particularly for mission schools, but again, I must say some have already lost their way since the 90s. Clan-type worse.... all the dialect clans laughing themselves rich into their coffers. We are literally teaching our kids to 'pay' to get their way in. Interestingly to note the type of society we would be living in 50 years' time.....

Cheers
Ladybird

Hi Ladybird, yes, I'm aware that some schools don't offer PV. I'm not sure how that skews balloting results, though.

I got my son into one of those "clan schools" you are talking about since my wife is Hokkien, and yes, we did pay for the membership like we paid for country or fitness clubs. But unlike the commercial clubs where it is more a matter of prestige or business networking, I don't feel guilty about paying money to join the clans because the clans do contribute back to the schools just like how the alumni associations of missionary schools contribute back to the missionary schools, so we are effectively funding some of the schools programmes. Not very different from donating to the school directly. And they have very good family days where they bring together the families of all the affiliated schools together and essentially have a fun fair together. Also, the clan offers Chinese cultural programmes to members at discounted prices.

There's good and bad in most things and as long as the good outweighs the bad, we have to learn to accept things as they are, otherwise we will spend our entire lives being bitter about everything. That would be a tragedy since we should value and spend the time that God has given to us in this world being as happy as we can so that we can spread the cheer to everyone around us. We are what we want to be, and we can make good or bad things happen simply by believing that they will happen.

I hope you have managed to get your daughter into St Anthony's?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:39 pm

Ladybird wrote:Dear Chief Kiasu
Just want to let you know that my girl has entered SACPS during phase 2C...

That is very good news indeed! I hope your daughter will get better soon and enjoy her new school to the maximum.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Return to Newbies & Clubs