Mummy momof3littles: Newbie here from the US

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy momof3littles: Newbie here from the US

Postby momof3littles » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:05 am

Hello, I accidentally found this website while looking into schools for my kids. I am a Chinese American mom living in the US and we might be moving to Singapore for my husband's job. My children are 4, 2, and 1. I did not understand what kiasu meant but am finding everything here very intriguing. I guess I would consider my husband and myself kiasu parents here in the States. We have always looked into helping our children prepare for elementary school, which you would consider primary. We are considered a little more "intense" than other parents here, but most Asian parents do push more based on our own upbringing.

I also posted a question regarding peanut allergies under the Child Management section and will most likely ask you all for more information if our plans for Singapore come through.

momof3littles
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Newbie here from the US

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:14 am

momof3littles wrote:Hello, I accidentally found this website while looking into schools for my kids. I am a Chinese American mom living in the US and we might be moving to Singapore for my husband's job. My children are 4, 2, and 1. I did not understand what kiasu meant but am finding everything here very intriguing. I guess I would consider my husband and myself kiasu parents here in the States. We have always looked into helping our children prepare for elementary school, which you would consider primary. We are considered a little more "intense" than other parents here, but most Asian parents do push more based on our own upbringing.

I also posted a question regarding peanut allergies under the Child Management section and will most likely ask you all for more information if our plans for Singapore come through.

Hi momof3littles! Welcome from our sunny island of KiasuParents! Kiasu simply means "to be afraid to lose". In fact, it is in the Oxford English Dictionary (ie. acceptable use in Scrabble!) and enshrined in Wikipedia. In colloquial terms, kiasu parents are those who would do anything to ensure that their children come up tops in everything they do. This originates from natural parental concern for our children. The fact is, the educational and culture in Singapore and surrounding countries has forced most parents to accept that their children would not be able to effectively compete if they are not given the edge in their early pre-school years. So in a certain sense, it is fast becoming an arms race. Child care and early education is big business in Singapore.

Interestingly, while early education techniques originates from US and Europe (eg. Montessori, Glenn Doman) and Japan (eg. Shichida), these cultures take such things positively and do not ridicule parents who attempt to put their children through the programmes as "kiasu". It is only in the South Asian cultures that frown on such activities being too kiasu. Strange huh? So our goal with KiasuParents.com is to debunk the myth that KiasuParents are inconsiderate, selfish, or just stupidly and blindly following the masses.

We hope that your plans to migrate to Singapore will materialize so that you can experience first hand our world-class education system :wink:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Return to Newbies & Clubs