Mummy kiasu2008: Super Kiasu Parent(SEEDS D' Learning House)

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy kiasu2008: Super Kiasu Parent(SEEDS D' Learning House)

Postby kiasu2008 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:29 am

Hi,

I just joined this forum last week and would like to share my experience with all the kiasu parents here.

I work from home and also taking care of my daughter full time since the day she was born. She is now 5 years plus, I enrolled her for shichida school when she was 14 months till now.

At the age of 2 plus, I sent her to MM in Downtown East and I decided to took her just 1 month because I had the opportunity to went through the first few days of school with her and found that they do not really teach according to what they have mentioned to me.

After MM, I enrolled my daughter to GUG for about 9 months ( 2 times a week ). She build a strong foundation of phonics from GUG and I decided to pull her out when GUG started to increase the prices when they moved into a new premises and I find that it is about time for her to move on as GUG teached the same thing for each 26 alphabets.

It happened, one day, during the Shichida lesson, I saw that her classmate switched from School by the Bay to Seeds for about 2 weeks and she can read and write very well. Since then, I have enrolled my daughter to Seeds from 3 years old till now. I like the school because it cater to individual child ability and standard. The school focus purely on academic from Mon to Thurs and only fun day on Friday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm.

As a Kiasu parent, I also enrolled her into abacus lesson in CMA last Jul and she is now in Grade 9 in mental calculation and Grade 10 in abacus. ( CMA grade started from Foundation, grade 13 to grade 1 ). In June 2008, she won her FIRST trophy for abacus competition. I believe CMA is the only school teaches 2 hands methods for abacus and mental calculation. For subtraction and addition, there are 34 formulas that you need to remember and it is very easy. I know some schools teach mental calculation using fingers and not abacus and it is not easy for the child to understand the whole concept.

There is one things that I need to highlights to all parents is that your kids will get confused when they learn maths from the school and abacus lesson. You need to explains and go through with them how to use abacus when doing maths problem sums, if not they will get confused. - Part 1

kiasu2008
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Super Kiasu Parent

Postby ej_mum » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:38 am

kiasu2008 wrote:Hi,

I just joined this forum last week and would like to share my experience with all the kiasu parents here.

I work from home and also taking care of my daughter full time since the day she was born. She is now 5 years plus, I enrolled her for shichida school when she was 14 months till now.

At the age of 2 plus, I sent her to MM in Downtown East and I decided to took her just 1 month because I had the opportunity to went through the first few days of school with her and found that they do not really teach according to what they have mentioned to me.

After MM, I enrolled my daughter to GUG for about 9 months ( 2 times a week ). She build a strong foundation of phonics from GUG and I decided to pull her out when GUG started to increase the prices when they moved into a new premises and I find that it is about time for her to move on as GUG teached the same thing for each 26 alphabets.

It happened, one day, during the Shichida lesson, I saw that her classmate switched from School by the Bay to Seeds for about 2 weeks and she can read and write very well. Since then, I have enrolled my daughter to Seeds from 3 years old till now. I like the school because it cater to individual child ability and standard. The school focus purely on academic from Mon to Thurs and only fun day on Friday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm.

As a Kiasu parent, I also enrolled her into abacus lesson in CMA last Jul and she is now in Grade 9 in mental calculation and Grade 10 in abacus. ( CMA grade started from Foundation, grade 13 to grade 1 ). In June 2008, she won her FIRST trophy for abacus competition. I believe CMA is the only school teaches 2 hands methods for abacus and mental calculation. For subtraction and addition, there are 34 formulas that you need to remember and it is very easy. I know some schools teach mental calculation using fingers and not abacus and it is not easy for the child to understand the whole concept.

There is one things that I need to highlights to all parents is that your kids will get confused when they learn maths from the school and abacus lesson. You need to explains and go through with them how to use abacus when doing maths problem sums, if not they will get confused. - Part 1

Hihi,

May i know wad is seeds in long form? cos i try to search in google to find the webpage to have a look but google oni give give all those seeds from flowers, hahaha...

ej_mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kiasu2008 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:41 am

Hi,

You can find the school at this website www.seeds-dlh.com

kiasu2008
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kiasu2008 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:33 am

In seeds, there will be a parents meeting session with the teacher for every 6 months and they will give you a report of your kid progress in the school and it is very details. In the school, the ratios is 6 : 1 and a class about 12 children.

I also enrolled my daughter into Golf lesson when she was 3 years plus and she keep asking me to sign her up. She has been learning golf with Kindergolf every Sunday and outdoors once every 2 weeks. Kindergolf is a good start for children who is interested in golf because they are the only school that cater for young children. But they are confused too much on putting and not full swing and by accident I came to know this golf shop owner who teach kids in full swing and she has improvement her techniques and her full swing. I have plan to pull her out of Kindergolf by Sept because it is about time for her to learn from a professional golfer that teach 1 to 1. Some primary has golf as part of their CCA in School and they have annual inter-school golf competition.

My daughter was born in the year of 2003 and during SARS periods, with the birth rate of about 36,000 ( The birth rates dropped to a historic low ) but does not mean that parents will have a easy time to enrol our kids to more popular school in year 2009. I started to look for primary school for my daughter beginning of last year and start to send out letter to apply for PV to those popular schools. There are few school rejected me late last year despite of constant follow up with the school. For those parents who child born in 2004 and want to apply as PV for Rosyth, please note that those parents will begin their PV duties in the school next month.

As a kiasu parent, I start to shortlist some other school again and sent out my application. Right now, I have received 5 school responsed to me for PV but I decided to do PV for 3 schools. The reason I do that because by doing PV, you have a chance to look at the school environment and communicate with the teacher and you will know which school suits your kids. From my experience of PV, my advise for parents is that you need to check with the school whether do they accept husband and wife as a joint application to do PV together. Some school only accept whoever name appear on the application, he or she can only do the PV. Next, Some school require you to do 40, 60 or 80 hours, please bear in mind that for those working parents you need to sacrifice your at least 1 year leave to do PV because you can't get time off to do 1 or 1 1/2 PV work, you have to apply at least half day leave. Some parents thought that as long as they get into PV, they are qualified for phase 2B. You need to complete at least 40 hours from Jul to June ( Before you register your kid for primary 1 exercise ), if you do not finish the 40 hours of PV, you are out of phase2B. Third, it is wise to use "working " Email ( Company ) when you apply for PV because sometime school need last minutes volunteers ( certain no. of volunteers ) and they will email you, if the time suit you, you can response back immediately (Kiasu ) before someone response and it also helps you to clock your time faster.

kiasu2008
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kiasu2008 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:22 pm

I was given a registration form by the teacher last week to enrol my daughter for Young Writers Workshop and it commence on 30 August 2008. She was selected for this workshop because she can read very well and it is recommend by the teacher in charge. I will highly recommend parent to sign up this workshop for your child.

The workshop will be very useful for children to begin their creative writing in composition when they are in primary school. I have seen many good compositions written from Primary 1 to Primary 6 students. I was amazed by their command of English and their creativity. This workshop is conducted by a Ex Ai Tong teacher and they only take in student from K2 onward unless your kids can read very well.

kiasu2008
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Dee » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:48 am

Hi Kiasu08 mummy,

You seem to be very pleased with Seeds and how they have helped your daughter!

My son's 21 months now, and I'm reviewing to start him on preschool when he turns 24 mths.

When you mentioned Seeds focus on academic from mon to Thurs, would you be able to share more of what they do for the academic lessons that you felt were useful for your daughter? I would assume academic focus starts from 3 yr old classes and not 2 yr olds?

Dee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby edelweiss » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:09 pm

kiasu2008 wrote:I was given a registration form by the teacher last week to enrol my daughter for Young Writers Workshop and it commence on 30 August 2008. She was selected for this workshop because she can read very well and it is recommend by the teacher in charge. I will highly recommend parent to sign up this workshop for your child.

The workshop will be very useful for children to begin their creative writing in composition when they are in primary school. I have seen many good compositions written from Primary 1 to Primary 6 students. I was amazed by their command of English and their creativity. This workshop is conducted by a Ex Ai Tong teacher and they only take in student from K2 onward unless your kids can read very well.

Hi Kiasu2008, you seems to be a very committed & devoted mom! My girl is the same age as yours. BTW, I want to know more on the Young Writers Workshop that you mentioned. Could you give me their website address or contact? Thanks for sharing btw.

edelweiss
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kiasimom » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:44 pm

:welcome:

Seems that you stay in the east.
Have you join club easterners?

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby eyktay » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi kiasu2008,

I chanced upon your thread & would like to know more abt Seeds.
How old is your child now?

Other than academic, do the kids learn in a fun way?

eyktay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Newbies & Clubs