Club Homeschoolers

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Club Homeschoolers

Postby Cachaca » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:34 am

Hello all:
I can't find an exclusive thread for Homeschoolers on this forum, or anywhere. I guess we can start one :) Kiasu parents has become one of my single points of reference for anything related to raising children here, so I thought this will be a great venue to learn, share and hopefully help each other.

We are newbies at this homeschooling process for our 6.5 year old for Primary 1. We always knew we couldn't afford international schools and also that the chances of getting into a Primary 1 would be tough due to the existing demands in the system. We were right. When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade and have fun!

So, hope to find other parents with positive experiences with homeschooling so that we can help our kids together!

I have been looking for a homeschooler support group in SG for a while, but have not had any luck. Their website is down and no responses from their FB page.
Doing some internet searches I had heard of K12 Online program which costs around $5K a year. I considered it initially, and even scheduled an appointment but the curriculum and the vision did not really fly with me. (http://www.k12.com/) However, seems like a great program that targets student needs and abilities as well. (and considerably cheaper than a tuition center too as you can even buy modules)
Anyhow, if there are any parents interested in sharing information, supporting each other and cheering us on, I really appreciate your guidance. Also, it will be great to coordinate some activities together so the kids can socialize too.
Wish me good luck in this new parenting journey! :xedfingers:

Cachaca
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Homeschooling Club

Postby jojoberry » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:57 am

hi Cachaca, you're not local then? tough to find homeschooling parents here as there is only a handful of local parents who opt for this...after going through a rigorous process of showing or proving to the MOE that they are capable of doing this for their DC before they are granted exemption from enrolling in the primary schools. have you decided how to do it already?

jojoberry
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Cachaca » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi Jo Jo:
Yes, I am not a local :) However, I must admit my homeschooling journey has been really good. As foreigners, our children do not fall into that category, so we do not need to file an exception. However, the application (from what i have observed, is not impossible, nor too complex). We decided to do it and we are happy with it. We technically stomped on it because there are no spaces in our local neighborhood schools for our child, but we were always interested. (We did finally get in, but it was too far from our place and we had no support network, transport, etc). We started homeschooling in September, and it has been working really well. I was able to join the SG homeschooler group and I am amazed. There is at least 80 families of all nationalities, but mostly Singaporeans. They have many activities such as Homeschoolers sports day, and Not-going to school day, etc.
Anyhow, I am glad I found the group [singaporehomeschool at yahoo dot com dot sg] and the support we need. It has also been very nice to unite us as a family. Despite both of us working full time, my husband and I help and monitor our son's lessons and we have "group" projects. My son also has the opportunity to learn and go into the topics he is really interested (LEGO and LEGO math! who knew !!:)

Anyhow, everyone has a different journey to educate their kids, and each family works with love and with what is available to them. Thanks for your support and take care!

Cachaca
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jojoberry » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:51 am

Great that things are going well :)

jojoberry
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Newbies & Clubs