Mummy niecoco: Newie QQ reporting...

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy niecoco: Newie QQ reporting...

Postby niecoco » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:37 am

Hi all,

I am really very new in this forum. I know my decision and I will still go ahead despite the awareness of balloting. My choice is CHIJ Kellock, under Phase 2C, outside 2km radius. Definately on balloting by looking at the past records. I am willing to take the risk. It is all depends on luck! However, if I failed to get a vacancy for my girl, I need something to fall back to, in Phase 2C supplimentary. No doubt I need to look into schools that do not need balloting even in Phase 2C Supp. I work near Alexandra Rd, care to share a wiser choice? My desired choice would be:
1) Jurong Primary School
2) New Town Primary
3) Zhangde Primary

Is Zhangde better or GES?

Please advice how well Pei Tong fare. I dont mind the distance as long as the route is within West Coast Highway, AYE and/or Teluk Blangah.

I need a proper back up plan, should we fail. Desperately need your advice.

Thank you

niecoco
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Newie QQ reporting...

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:24 am

Hi niecoco, and welcome! We don't have CHIJ Kellock's 2007 registration data to compare with, so we do not know how heavy the competition will be this year. Compared with other hot schools, Kellock's 2008 TUR is actually quite low, but because it is locked within a housing estate, the Phase 2C turn out could be very intense.

Personally, I like Zhangde... but GES has the advantage of an affiliated secondary school.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby niecoco » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:57 am

Thanks ChiefKiasu.

I was actually looking forward to your reply. Of your opinion, do you think Zhangde will still have vacancy at Phase 2C supp? It is very competitive in CHIJ Kellock but I am willing to take the risk reason being that my girl really wanted a girl school. She knows what she want and I am trying my best to provide her the best. Honestly, I am very worried and anxious. :roll: I think all the parents will.

If Zhangde is filled at Phase 2C supp, I will probably enrol her to New Town primary. I heard NT is not bad and I saw the previous records shows that they too have an average of 2 pointers for PSLE results for the past 7 years. Of course, I hope I need not go through all these as I am praying hard for Kellock.

I am not worried about affiliation to sec as I think at the age of 12, my kid will decide on which school she will go. I will not decide for her then. Advice will still be given. I emphasize freedom and free speech to my kids. My girl make her own decision in whatever she do. I am only there to give her my opinion. I dont sit next to her when she do her homework. Once she completes her work, she will ask me to check. I dont pressure her to do extra activities too. My girl only attends art class and speech & drama class - both on request by herself. I dont think it is very healthy to pressure a young kid. Like most kids, we will also shower her with toys and gadgets. My 2 yo girl also did her homework on her own.

When I read through forums in this site, I find myself is way behind. A lot of mothers actually draw timetable for their kids. Really very discipline. I salute the kid and their parent. I really like this site a lot and I have added it into my fav list.

Kellock is my choice not because it is a elite / branded school. Just because it is a girl school nearby my office. I agreed with some of the parents quoted that it is healthier to put your kid in a decent school rather than elite school. Haha... peer pressure is such a pain! Having said that, surrounding is very important too. Kellock is a good place to build a person characteristic.

I shall keep you guys updated on the result!... pray hard for me please!

Mommy Q.

niecoco
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:37 am

niecoco wrote:
When I read through forums in this site, I find myself is way behind. A lot of mothers actually draw timetable for their kids. Really very discipline.

Hi niecoco,
I guess a lot of mothers (me included) draw up timetable cos our kids are not yet that self motivated to voluntarily offer to do their work. Some other reasons may be the need to ensure that the kid's day at the caregiver's place is productive. You do not need such cos your girl has such discipline to complete her work and that she is still so young. 8)

Welcome to KSP. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby niecoco » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:08 am

jedamum wrote:
niecoco wrote:
You do not need such cos your girl has such discipline to complete her work and that she is still so young. 8)

She is not that discipline though! When she called me at office, I would ask if she have completed her homework. I restrict my kids from watching TV during weekdays. They are only allowed to catch a short clip of drama from 9 to 10pm during weekdays. However, I allowed my eldest girl to work with maths games, english exercise & drawing exercises and watch cartoon with her computer. My husband remotely control her computer from work. So we know what she is doing. Her PC is accessible to internet, thus we do not want her to "accidently" goes to unpleasant sites, so we blocked some of the ports. She chats with my mom and her cousins using MSN. That is how she spend her time mostly.

New Town primary merged with Ghim Moh Primary and shitfing to a new permise in Jan 09. Do you think this will affect the school performance?

niecoco
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:37 am

niecoco wrote:My husband remotely control her computer from work.

:shock: Call me a techo-tortoise....can we actually do that? Control or spy? My boy has to ask for permission for access to our computer although he has his laptop, as his laptop is old and cannot support some games (eg Caesar II dunnowhat...nothing fanciful...he likes to build roads network etc...so we did not introduce the complications of the game...just let him click here and there to try build a city). We do not allow free surfing of internet for the same concern.
You have pretty strict tv viewing hours. Good! Especially if you can't control what they view on tv when you are at work. :D

niecoco wrote:New Town primary merged with Ghim Moh Primary and shitfing to a new permise in Jan 09. Do you think this will affect the school performance?

Not sure about the school performance, but usually with any merging, there may be management issues involved and if the staff moral are affected, it may indirectly affect the students. But hey, I believe our teachers should be pretty professional, aren't they?
Need ChiefKS 2 cents on the school performance though. 8)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby niecoco » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:54 am

can we actually do that? Control or spy?

yup, we can remotely control NB and/or PC. It is not spyware. Spyware are used by hackers or sort of that. And we definately can control the ports and websites assessibility in a PC. My husband is an IT Engineer and he does all the network infrastructure at home. We have 6 PCs and 3 NBs at home, all linked to each others. We also have CCTV at home to constantly monitor our kids. My kids are home alone with my maid. Nobody else.

I called NTPS (New Town Primary School) just minutes ago. Spoke to a very nice lady. NT's principal will remain, taking over Ghim Moh's. She is a very dedicated lady, as told. Plus, they have 1 student acheived 275 in PSLE last year. According to the staff, they have plenty of vacancies even till Phase 3. So I am not so worried now. If I dont get Kellock, NT will be my choice. It is a single session school and they are planning to start up a student care ctr within the new campus (beautiful). Vicinity is huge and nice. I am putting my girl in a Student care ctr.

ChiefKS mentioned that Zhangde is good, I totally agreed after viewing some facts, but the vacancies usually drained out at Phase 2C. My first choice is Kellock, so I cant split my enrolment. Thus I need a less-popular school as backup.

Being a mom is never easy huh!

niecoco
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Newbies & Clubs