SOS - Maths!

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

SOS - Maths!

Postby Mama Chin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:35 am

Hi great parents out there,

I need your advice urgently. My son is in P5, he failed his Maths badly since P5. He will be taking psle in 2014. His tutor said he may have dyscalculia, learning disability with Maths. I am not sure of this but I want to do all I can to help him pass!

1. How to apply to MOE for extension of time for Maths? Chances of success of application?

2. Who to approach in school?

3. Any good tutor that can teach failing kids to pass?

To good parents that have knowledge in this field, please help! Thank you in advance for your valuable advice!

Mama Chin
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: SOS - Maths!

Postby fanren » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:11 am

Mama Chin wrote:Hi great parents out there,

I need your advice urgently. My son is in P5, he failed his Maths badly since P5. He will be taking psle in 2014. His tutor said he may have dyscalculia, learning disability with Maths. I am not sure of this but I want to do all I can to help him pass!

1. How to apply to MOE for extension of time for Maths? Chances of success of application?

2. Who to approach in school?

3. Any good tutor that can teach failing kids to pass?

To good parents that have knowledge in this field, please help! Thank you in advance for your valuable advice!

maybe you can approach the allied educators in school ?

fanren
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: SOS - Maths!

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:43 am

To diagnose a learning disability, you will need to get your child assessed by an educational psychologist. I believe KKH and HPB have such facilities, and if you get a referral, it may be cheaper, but the waiting lists are probably long. If you go to a private educational psychologist, you will have to pay more. You then submit the report and recommendations to MOE. You may want to check with the school or MOE for the detailed procedure.

If the diagnosis is accepted, then you may ask for accommodations like extra time.

Hope this helps.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Newbies & Clubs