Mummy workingmum: Hello There !

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy workingmum: Hello There !

Postby workingmom » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Hi everyone!

Am a recent reader of this forum - very interesting.

Am a FTWM to 2 girls, one entering P1 next year and the other following the year after. Made a daring decision not to enrol her in my alma mater SNGS and went under Phase 2B instead...sounds crazy I know...

Its tough working and bringing up kids ...most of my friends have stopped, either temporarily or permanently. Suddenly I'm in the minority!

workingmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:30 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Hello There !

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:02 pm

workingmom wrote:Hi everyone!

Am a recent reader of this forum - very interesting.

Am a FTWM to 2 girls, one entering P1 next year and the other following the year after. Made a daring decision not to enrol her in my alma mater SNGS and went under Phase 2B instead...sounds crazy I know...

Its tough working and bringing up kids ...most of my friends have stopped, either temporarily or permanently. Suddenly I'm in the minority!


Hi workingmom and welcome! Thank God for Sats and Suns, without which our KiasuParents would have lost a significant part of our group of FTWx (x=M or F lor). So free today? No kids to ferry for classes?

I agree with you completely:
1. You are NUTs not to go for SNGS. I say that on behalf of all the parents who PVed or paid for clan membership but failed to get into St Nics in Phase 2B this year. Of course, the rest who are targeting St Nics in Phase 2C will rejoice lah.

So which school did you decide on? Your Phase 2B attempt struck gold or not?

2. Being an FTWM is incredibly frustrating and stressful, unless you are a bo-chap mummy who outsource the entire process to relatives or maids. In other words, your children are lucky to have a mummy like you who cares about their well-being.

I don't think you are in the minority. There are plenty of FTWMs in our sunny island.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Postby workingmom » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:25 pm

She is going to MGS - walking to school! We wanted to carry on the Methodist tradition as daddy is ex-ACS. 2 other reasons - proximity and I did "suffer" through Chinese during my SNGS days...one of the rare "mandarin-challenged SNGS students."

Of course Saturdays are busy ones - between swimming lessons, art classes (my kids fave!), Kumon and squeezing in time for grocery shopping...we try to be organised ...running a tight ship here !

workingmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:30 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:15 pm

workingmom wrote:She is going to MGS - walking to school! We wanted to carry on the Methodist tradition as daddy is ex-ACS. 2 other reasons - proximity and I did "suffer" through Chinese during my SNGS days...one of the rare "mandarin-challenged SNGS students."

Of course Saturdays are busy ones - between swimming lessons, art classes (my kids fave!), Kumon and squeezing in time for grocery shopping...we try to be organised ...running a tight ship here !


Orh... no wonder... MGS is very good too... I've put my P3 son on Kumon for the past 7 months... he is now in level E. There's definitely improvement in his computation speed, but I think it kills off interest in the actual subject itself due to all the drilling! Does it happen to you too?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Postby workingmom » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:26 am

Hi Chief !

Wow your son is at Level E ! My daughter has just moved up to A so long way to go. She doesn't mind the drills but I guess there are good days and bad days when she isn't in the mood, especially with the timing requirements, which in my view, are a little over-the-top. Looking at the primary sch syllabus, I don't know if Kumon is something we should continue with in the long term but I do agree is it good for the basics.

She only started 3 months ago so I guess once she starts P1 next year we shall re-visit options.

workingmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:30 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:51 pm

workingmom wrote:...Wow your son is at Level E ! My daughter has just moved up to A so long way to go....She only started 3 months ago so I guess once she starts P1 next year we shall re-visit options.


Alamak... how to compare? My son is already P3 and your daughter is not even P1. Of course he is at Level E lah... I would be really worried if he is at Level A :roll: .

Actually, I'm not sure if Kumon is really that good now. It is plain drilling, and does not help in the mental sums or logic problems that are often thrown to the kids in Primary School. I think that are quite a lot of other better alternatives in the market today.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319



Return to Newbies & Clubs