Mummy kaijun: Just joined

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy kaijun: Just joined

Postby kaijun » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi there! i m a SAHM w 2 kids - gal is due for P1 next yr and boy is 5. Hope to get a better ustanding of spore school system n advice on selection of schools for my 2 kids (both r currently not in local schools..my gal will not be in local P1 next yr too). looking into putting my kids in local primary schools (they r sporeans but daddy is foreigner) but i am worried if they can be accepted/adapt to e local system. any advice? or hv frens in my sitn b4 to share? tks!

kai-jun

kaijun
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby amylqf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:58 pm

:welcome:

you may check out pre-school and primary school section.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:12 pm

:welcome: to KiasuParents!

Wah, your kiddies must've enjoyed not being in the local school
system! 8) But, yikes! :!: your DD is going P1 in a matter of a
time liao! May i inquire why you're not sure whether your DD
can adapt to the local system or not? And since your DH is a
foreigner, why not just go international....... you do have a
choice right?

I'm a fellow SAHM too by the way. I've 2 DDs 8yrs and 6yrs.
DD2 will be P1 next year. She tells people that she'll be P1
in November. :lol: Why so? Cause her primary school
orientation is in November. :rotflmao:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hmsg » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:21 pm

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby qms » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:40 am

:welcome:

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby kaijun » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:39 pm

tks for e warm welcome!!!!

hi buds...our initial plan was to send them to intl schools once they reached Grade 4...but now DH wants to check out on e local schools too as he thinks tt e children will benefit fm education system as spore has a good reputation for its system...but i guess he doesnt really understand how the kids are being "drilled" to perform academically?!?!! still exploring...no way tt my elder one can get into P1 next yr...but honestly i m also hoping tt DH will change his mind cos i dont think I can take e stress...i hv been too relaxing liao!!! :oops:

kaijun
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby schellen » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi Kaijun! :)

You can ask your DH to come take a look at the posts here, especially in the Pri Sch Selection, Pri Sch Academic Preparation and Parents' Networking forums. :wink: Maybe he'll change his mind after that and grant you your wish.

Before I registered DD at the govt pri sch nearby, I had hoped for loads of cash to send DD to an international sch too. Unfortunately, I still don't have the loads of cash and MOE says I cannot send her to an international sch anyway since DH and I are both S'poreans. :(

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kaijun » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:31 am

hi schellen...as i hv been "out of touch" of spore education system for long long time...all i heard and read tend to be nothing but "tough, stress, competitive..."...is it really that bad? hopefully with the "holistic assessment to support learning" implemented by MOE...e kids will discover much more joys in their journey of learning...not just striving/struggling to get top grades. Intl schools give the impressions tt they r more relaxing academic-wise...but i m sure e kids will hv to face e "stress" eventually as they move up to the upper grades...just tt they probably have a more "relaxed" time in e lower grades?!?!?

kai-jun

kaijun
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby schellen » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:26 am

kaijun, I am one of those parents who aren't that kiasu so I just sent my DD to a neighbourhood ("real" one, not the more elite kind) sch. She's in P1 now and enjoying sch life. We've lived near the sch for years so when she was growing up, she already knew where she was going when she turned 7. To us, as long as she does her best and her abilities are challenged occasionally, we're satisfied. She has no tuition and no enrichment other than ballet and piano which she asked for herself and has stuck to for a number of years.

To many S'porean parents, I guess this is a no-no? Cos I have encountered so many (here and elsewhere) who swear by enrichment, tuition and fighting tooth-and-nail to register their children into elite schs. I believe that children can excel wherever they are as long as they have the potential and the right resources/environment. These conditions are not only found in elite schs and via enrichment/tuition. (FYI, I will only sign my DD up for tuition if she really needs it.)

I believe that international schs will also be stressful but it is the good kind of stress that produces all-rounded individuals, not the typical academically-inclined, book-mugging, fact-regurgitating "scholar" that the MOE system still produces despite its wish to produce well-rounded and community-loving citizens. (This may sound harsh but I state based on my own experiences. Though there are exceptions to this stereotype, there are generally few unless you limit your search within elite schs. But tehre's where the stress comes in.)

When it's time for DD to go to sec sch, she can choose an elite sch if she wants to and can qualify. By then, she is old enough to know what she wants and the effort needed to get it. We'll only step in if we feel that she can't handle the stress or is heading towards becoming one of those "scholars".

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby titank » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:52 pm

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs