Cheerful Princess Charlene the newbie reporting...

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Cheerful Princess Charlene the newbie reporting...

Postby Cheerful Princess Charlene » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi everyone here, I've heard so much about this forum all these years and I have finally set foot here... Let me start by sharing more about myself.

I prefer to call myself Cheerful Princess Charlene (because I am my parents' and God's princess). When I was young, my childhood ambition was to be a teacher because I enjoyed marking my own exam papers using a red pen and it was cool to spot mistakes and correct them. Great satisfaction!

My love for Mandarin came from my father's roots in China and I was selected to represent my class in Primary School for poetry recital by Miss Wu.

My love for English was deepened through daily admiration towards my Secondary School's English Language teacher, Miss Wong and her beautiful cursive handwriting on the blackboard.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Primary and Secondary school experiences but Polytechnic was quite a different one which I shall hold my horses.

Many years ago, I applied for a course in NIE twice, hoping to embark on the normal journey to become a teacher. I was not shortlisted nor rejected via a formal letter. In a way, I am thankful because I feared the stress in the local education system after hearing "horror stories" from ex-teachers. I still fear and this is why I feel for the young children now.

After embarking on the journey as a full time home tutor in 2013, I came across children who were not motivated to study. One P2 girl even cried when I was there to give tuition while 2 other boys were venting their frustrations through disruptive behaviour like banging his head against the wall, throwing his toys at me. It totally broke my heart, especially when I thought I was there to guide them towards attaining better results and becoming a better student. On a softer note, there were children who confided in me and I was able to counsel and comfort them so much so that our tuition sessions became counselling sessions.

Therefore I concluded that children here are not happy and they lack a desire to study, not because they are not intelligent. They lack a motive for learning. Most of the times, they succumb to the expectations of schools and parents who desire their children to score well and get into top schools in order to have a better competitive edge in this society which ultimately leads to better jobs and higher salaries in the future.

Sadly, they might not realise that they are sacrificing the happiness of their children in their growing up years and in the process, they risk losing the trust and respect of the ones they so dearly loved in the pursuit for success.

Personally, I feel that it is not worth it.

The reason I am here today is for the purpose of touching a young life and leading him/her to joy, contentment and purpose in life, not for self achievement, but a far greater calling that God has given a child talents and gifts to help others and make a positive impact in this world instead of competing with one another for selfish desires.

Our world needs positive influence and not stressful pressures that suck the joy out of life itself.

Learning should be a holistic journey that develops a child towards his/her full potential, preparing him/her to serve the world in time to come.

Patience is a virtue and giving a child sufficient time to cultivate the desire and motivation is the key to success. Success is not measured by education results nor society status and net worth.

Just my 2 cents worth. I hope it strikes a chord with you. Looking forward to hear from you all. :grphug:

Cheers,
Cheerful Princess Charlene

KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Cheerful Princess Charlene the newbie reporting...

Postby Jennifer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:34 pm

:welcome:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FB555 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:41 pm

:rahrah: welcome to ksp forum :rahrah:
FB555
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Cheerful Princess Charlene » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:16 pm

TQ Jennifer and FB555! Looking to pick up more parenting tips from u all.

KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby KSP » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:02 pm

KSP :welcome: you to KSP

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Cheerful Princess Charlene » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Thank Q KSP! :lovesite:

KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby FB555 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:34 pm

Cheerful Princess Charlene wrote:TQ Jennifer and FB555! Looking to pick up more parenting tips from u all.

Same here. :smile:
FB555
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Newbies & Clubs