Mummy tintong: Help INFO needed: moving to singapore-THX

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy tintong: Help INFO needed: moving to singapore-THX

Postby tintong » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:33 pm

Hello, we are indonesian chinese who is currently residing in Australia but hubby just got transfered to Singapore Office so we are going to move to singapore as soon as Feb/MArch next year.

Don't know anything about Singapore, except Orchard Rd and SHOPPING!!
So really appreciate any info :)
We have a 2 yrs old boy.

1. I am so confused to where to live. Hubby's office is in Tanjung Pagar. Where's a nice place to raise toddler where there's preschool, close to Supermarket etc, where not to go?
I am kinda shock about the price of condominium in Singapore, can you tell me waht's a decent price for a 2-3bedrooms apt? Ta

2. I am an accountant currently half through CPA, would really love to go to work in flexible hours like 3 days a week *as it's my working days in Aust*, BUT the question is IS there any parttime work for accountant with flexible hours? Can you suggest which website to have a look at ?

Thanks a lot for all of guys input. Trully appreciate it! :lol:

tintong
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kiasimom » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:46 pm

Congratulations on your move to Singapore.

The first thing that you need to settle is housing.

Since your husband works in Tanjong Pagar, you can consider staying on the green line of the MRT.

A 3 bedrooms there will be about $3500 to $4000 onwards. Again it will depend on your choice of condos.

Once you found a suitable place, you cen then search for suitable childcare for your kids.

You should have no problem adjusting to life in Singapore as most Singaporeans can speak English.

Please kindly ask any other questions if any.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Help INFO needed: moving to singapore-THX

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:58 pm

tintong wrote:1. I am so confused to where to live. Hubby's office is in Tanjung Pagar. Where's a nice place to raise toddler where there's preschool, close to Supermarket etc, where not to go?
I am kinda shock about the price of condominium in Singapore, can you tell me waht's a decent price for a 2-3bedrooms apt? Ta

There are quite a few condos in that area. My hb's friend is staying there and we've been there to visit, very nice & quiet area. Did not notice the amenities though. There are quite alot of childcare centres around there.

Are you looking to rent or to purchase? If you are renting, you might want to consider HDB flats since their usually cheaper in terms of rental.

tintong wrote:2. I am an accountant currently half through CPA, would really love to go to work in flexible hours like 3 days a week *as it's my working days in Aust*, BUT the question is IS there any parttime work for accountant with flexible hours? Can you suggest which website to have a look at ?

My cousin is a freelance accountant. Her working hours is totally up to her. If she gets more clients then she'll need to put in more hours. She started off working for a big company but resigned to look after her kids. She set up her own company and worked from home. She got her contacts mostly from relatives & friends to kick-start. After that, her clients recommended more clients and now she's back at it almost full time since her kids are in sec sch now.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Mummy tintong: Help INFO needed: moving to singapore-THX

Postby qms » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:47 am

tintong wrote:Hello, we are indonesian chinese who is currently residing in Australia but hubby just got transfered to Singapore Office so we are going to move to singapore as soon as Feb/MArch next year.

Hi tintong!

First of all, :welcome: to KSP.com forum! How did you manage to find us?

tintong wrote:Don't know anything about Singapore, except Orchard Rd and SHOPPING!!

Well, that's good enough for tourists. Help contribute to Singapore's economy! :wink:

tintong wrote:1. I am so confused to where to live. Hubby's office is in Tanjung Pagar. Where's a nice place to raise toddler where there's preschool, close to Supermarket etc, where not to go?

Well, since your husband's office is in Tanjong Pagar, the best place to live, of course, if Tanjong Pagar. However, accommodation there is expensive because it is right in the Central Business District, or in another term, the Financial District. The rent of a 3-room HDB flat (2 bedroom) is in the region of $1.8k-$2K in the current economic climate, while you can rent a 4-room HDB flat (3 bedrooms) at about $2.2k-$2.5k. However, if you are willing to go to the outskirt a bit (i.e. Cantonment, Everton Park), you can rent a 5-room HDB flat (3-bedroom) for about $2.5k. Our fellow forummer has already given you an indication of the rental cost of a condominium in Tanjong Pagar.

Amenities in Tanjong Pagar are bountiful. The MRT station is just about 3 minutes' walk from the Tanjong Pagar HDB flats. There is a hawker centre cum wet market in Tanjong Pagar. Another one in the famous Chinatown. In addition, you can find plenty of good food in the Maxwell market and Amoy Street hawker centre. Tanjong Pagar is also a place where there are a lot of pubs and restaurants, too.

Since your husband's office is in Tanjong Pagar, he can save on transport. The CBD area also houses a many audit/consultancy firms. It will also be ideal for you if you plan to find a job, be it full time or part time or even free lance.

As for your two-year old boy, there are plenty of childcare centres or centres offering enrichment programs around the area. This place is very near to shopping malls like Vivo City, Suntec, and Orchard.

In short, in Tanjong Pagar, you will be spoilt for choice. Hence, the only thing now is - how much are you willing to spend on accommodation?

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby kiasimom » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Yeah,
The most important question is." How much do you want to spend on accomodation?"

By the way, selemat datang ;-)

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby amylqf » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:09 am

Welcome to the forum.

Part time jobs are not easy to find in singapore compare to euopean country.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Newbies & Clubs