Primary and secondary school

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Primary and secondary school

Postby Cmlee » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi can I know how much to set a side per year for child's primary and secondary school? Including expenses like tuition, overseas trip, eca etc?

Cmlee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Primary and secondary school

Postby janet88 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Cmlee wrote:Hi can I know how much to set a side per year for child's primary and secondary school? Including expenses like tuition, overseas trip, eca etc?

not all kids require tuition.
cca in general is FOC. overseas trips are not compulsory.
school textbooks and uniforms can cost about $200.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 35143
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 115


Re: Primary and secondary school

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:15 am

janet88 wrote:
Cmlee wrote:Hi can I know how much to set a side per year for child's primary and secondary school? Including expenses like tuition, overseas trip, eca etc?

not all kids require tuition.
cca in general is FOC. overseas trips are not compulsory.
school textbooks and uniforms can cost about $200.

To add on: School fees in most Pr and sec schools are not high. But if your child is in an independent school (only at sec levels), then the fees can be as high as $300+ a month.
CCA may incur fees if there is an external coach, travelling, uniforms etc.
As you can see, there is not straightforward answer. The minimum could be a few tens of dollars a month at Pr levels, and could escalate to over a thousand depending on what your child decides to get involved in.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8842
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 181


Primary school waking up early

Postby Cmlee » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Our place is a distance from the school. Kid have to get up at 6am to catch school bus. Any suggestion on other transport services getting kids to school?

Cmlee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Primary school waking up early

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:57 pm

Cmlee wrote:Our place is a distance from the school. Kid have to get up at 6am to catch school bus. Any suggestion on other transport services getting kids to school?

Getting up at 6am is quite normal for schoolkids, I'm afraid. In fact, some buses pick up at 6am, so the kids would have had to get up even earlier. Options would include changing school, sleeping earlier at night or car pooling (if it's faster to drive there).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8842
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 181



Re: Primary school waking up early

Postby janet88 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:48 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Cmlee wrote:Our place is a distance from the school. Kid have to get up at 6am to catch school bus. Any suggestion on other transport services getting kids to school?

Getting up at 6am is quite normal for schoolkids, I'm afraid. In fact, some buses pick up at 6am, so the kids would have had to get up even earlier. Options would include changing school, sleeping earlier at night or car pooling (if it's faster to drive there).

a friend of mine stays far from the school. her girls have to wake up at 530am for the bus to pick them at 545am. she doesn't plan to move because her flat has been fully paid up.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 35143
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 115


Re: Primary and secondary school

Postby TopTutorSingapore » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:43 pm

My kids attend secondary schools that are a little far from home. Their friends from primary school go to those schools, and my kids don't mind the traveling time. They look forward to going to school because of their buddies.

TopTutorSingapore
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:42 am
Total Likes: 0



Return to Newbies & Clubs