Mummy 1amber: Finally I am here!

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy 1amber: Finally I am here!

Postby 1amber » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:09 am

Hi

I am new and really quite lost concerning the pri education here so I have decided to sign up with this site to real some real education! Kudos to the founders of this site.

This site has been great. I stayed up from around 11pm till 3+am trying to make some sense out of the local education here.

I dun realli know where to post my question so here goes:

Q: My dd is in an EtonHouse International school now. Has anyone sent your kid there previously and what was your experience integrating your child to the local program?

I used to send her to a local childcare and she came back with so much baby language and Singlish that her spoken English actually deteriorated. Now she is rather fluent in both her languages and has become a lot more sociable and independent.

Thanks! :lol: :?:

1amber
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby auntieM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:39 am

:rahrah: Hello there!

Which Etonhouse is she at?
My DS spent PN, N1 and N2 at Etonhouse.
Good for loads of playtime, but programme for K1/2 rather weak if you are looking at moving on to a Sg Pri School. :wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BlurBee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:46 am

:welcome:

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BigDevil » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:29 pm

No experience with EtonHouse, so can't help you there.
Hope you get some answers soon!

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby qms » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:30 pm

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby tankee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:43 pm

:welcome: to KSP

IMO, Etonhouse builts character with their learn through play. Kids that gone through their programme would probably be more independent, outspoken and perhaps better EQ.

However, they focus is not on preparing our kids for local education here and thus kids from there would have some adjustments and catching up with their peers from other kindergardens.

if you intend to send your children to local primary school, you may want to consider switching to a different kindergarden for K1/K2 or supplement your children with some enrichment classes.

:wink:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby 1amber » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi

That was what I have in mind - send her to enrichment programs in the afternoons to polish up the rote learning part.

Has anyone gone this path before and please do give me your advise/comments.

My dd is the reserved/quiet type and the ex-local childcare teachers could not deal with her without saying that she was not talking and selective about whom she wants to talk to. At that childcare, she didn't like the fact that there were so many teachers looking after her and refused to let anyone outside of her own class teachers do things for her. That created a problem for me as the teachers complain that my daughter was not cooperative. On the other hand, they commented that she seems to want to take charge of some of her best friends and she was asked not to suggest what others should do.

The last straw was when she came home with all the bad english and baby talk so I had enough. Now she is a lot happier and have many friends.

I do realised that Eton graduates would have to make some adjustments to local pri but I am still glad for now she is happy. The challenge for me is to bridge that transition.

1amber
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 1amber » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi auntieM

Sorry I am still learning the technical aspects of using this forum.

To answer your question, my dd is at EtonHouse international preschool at broadrick. Been there for almost 4 months.

May I ask: how have your DS adjusted after Eton? And would u mind telling me which pr school they went?

Cheers :lol:

1amber
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:37 pm

:rahrah: :welcome: :welcome: :rahrah:

AuntieM will be the best person to advise you .... :D

Btw, not all of the Eton family of schs are 'international' rite??

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby 1amber » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi autumnbronze

Yes not all EtonHouses are on IB program. Some are just preschool like 717 and 764 Mounbatten Rd.

Yes I hope auntieM comes joins in again to shed more light...

btw thanks to all for all the warm welcome...really glad I m part of this... :lol: :thankyou:

And I forgot to introduce myself earlier...uhm I think I should be the auntie since I am quite a 'senior' mum...every where I brought my dd to I have always been the oldest mum...but who cares my dd is my one and only darling (turning 4 this year)... :celebrate:

1amber
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs