Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby schweppes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:16 am

FantasyLandDreams wrote:Oh gosh KSC, my childhood place too. A lot of nice small eateries and the emporium back then. Wonder why it is not as happening as Beauty World Plaza now. These few years I only step in to buy the famous banana pie, or to look for maids at agencies there.

Parkway Parade is nearby. There was a period of time, a lot of shoppers used to flock to i12 too but footfall at that mall seems to be slowing down too

FantasyLandDreams wrote:Back then, there was also Tay Ban Guan and Oriental at Haig Road, IKEA and that big cold storage....

This breaks back memories

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:23 am

Sinpopo is gone! So disappointed. I only found out last Saturday, after driving all the way there for desserts. Now it is converted to fine dining.

End up we went i12 katong to walk walk since it's just across the road. Very boring mall leh

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Sleepy,

Is Sinpopo the dessert shop that Schweppes ate the sinful black rice with coconut and durian?

We went to KSC once many years ago, can't recall whether we were in the area and so decided to pop in or specially drove there.

This morning I took the boys out to Thomson Plaza to have dim sum lunch at Peach Garden. Think can write off this eatery. The dim sum spread does not suit our taste buds.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:26 pm

Jennifer wrote:Sleepy,

Is Sinpopo the dessert shop that Schweppes ate the sinful black rice with coconut and durian?

We went to KSC once many years ago, can't recall whether we were in the area and so decided to pop in or specially drove there.

This morning I took the boys out to Thomson Plaza to have dim sum lunch at Peach Garden. Think can write off this eatery. The dim sum spread does not suit our taste buds.

I kaypoh and answer :smile:

No, Sinpopo was not located at KSC. It was one of the shophouse along Joo Chiat road.

I have not eaten at Sinpopo as found the prices too exorbitant. Think we walked into the shop, looked at the menu, went :yikes: :scared: and walked out again. It was managed by the Awfully Chocolate group

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:30 pm

sleepy wrote:Sinpopo is gone! So disappointed. I only found out last Saturday, after driving all the way there for desserts. Now it is converted to fine dining.

End up we went i12 katong to walk walk since it's just across the road. Very boring mall leh

Only go to i12 to watch GV movies.

Can check out Baan Thai wanton noodles at Alibaba kopitiam. :drool: Located opposite i12

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MrsKiasu » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:31 pm

schweppes wrote:
Decided to carry on the conversation here, lest :offtopic: in lao hua yen thread :smile:

Yes Jenn, KSC going to enbloc. Feel kinda sad as that place holds fond memories for me. My Ah Kong and Ah Ma used to bring me there when I was toddler age. Still remember going to Emporium departmental store. Was so fascinated with the make-up and clothes for grownups. KSC was like a People's Park in the East, so the shopping centre sold fabric and there were many tailor shops. My grandma used to buy cloth and then send to tailor to custom make clothes for herself.

Actually KSC has nothing much to offer now - no shopping. Shops are mostly maid agencies and those photocopy shops.Most shoppers prefer to go to Parkway.

Still there are other gems that can be found there. I try to create memories with my girls and we enjoy eating at the chicken rice stall and the local dessert shop. Sometimes, if my schedule permits, I spend some ME time at the dessert shop eating my favourite, "black rice with coconut milk and durian". Utterly sinful but worth the calories. Haha

The dessert shop was started by a former Shatec staff (food was much better under him) but he sold his business to his former student. Quality has dropped somewhat since the shifu left but we still go there once in a while :smile:

It is always sad to see our familiar places torn down :sad:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:15 am

schweppes wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Sleepy,

I kaypoh and answer :smile:

No, Sinpopo was not located at KSC. It was one of the shophouse along Joo Chiat road.

I have not eaten at Sinpopo as found the prices too exorbitant. Think we walked into the shop, looked at the menu, went :yikes: :scared: and walked out again. It was managed by the Awfully Chocolate group

Yes shophouse near i12 katong. Used to be retro deco with mosiac tiles kind of desserts place. Rather unique.
Now still at same address but no longer the same shop - become fine dining with atas price tag and menu changed totally.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:01 pm

I find AwfullyChocolate expensive :oops:

Today hubby brought me to Daorae Korean BBQ restaurant opposite Aeon Bukit Indah.

Very good food, the octopus was really big, fleshier than our palm.

The cold buckwheat noodles with pear is delicious.

The side dishes also yummy.

We then proceeded to the shopping mall to buy some mooncakes.

The flesh durian paste mooncakes are very expensive, I saw one selling at RM30+ and another RM50+

The cheaper ones are processed durian paste, not fresh durian paste. We bought only the traditional ones.

The sales lady is very kind, loaned to us her Aeon member card to get 10% off each mooncake.

We paid RM77 for 4 pieces, free a red bean traditional mooncake.

O, there is Mei Xin stall too. Not sure how is the prices compared to the Sg stall.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:27 pm

You in Malaysia now, Jennifer?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Augmum » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:19 pm

Jennifer wrote:I find AwfullyChocolate expensive :oops:

Today hubby brought me to Daorae Korean BBQ restaurant opposite Aeon Bukit Indah.

Very good food, the octopus was really big, fleshier than our palm.

The cold buckwheat noodles with pear is delicious.

The side dishes also yummy.

We then proceeded to the shopping mall to buy some mooncakes.

The flesh durian paste mooncakes are very expensive, I saw one selling at RM30+ and another RM50+

The cheaper ones are processed durian paste, not fresh durian paste. We bought only the traditional ones.

The sales lady is very kind, loaned to us her Aeon member card to get 10% off each mooncake.

We paid RM77 for 4 pieces, free a red bean traditional mooncake.

O, there is Mei Xin stall too. Not sure how is the prices compared to the Sg stall.

Jen, u mean Mei Xin stall is in AEON Bukit Indah mall ?
I like that shopping mall...big n spacious ... gives me a very relaxing feel there...

Oh, i hv yet to try the eateries opp Bukit Indah...but i read a good review of Daorae Korean BBQ...n now yr good verdict...
Everytime, we would hv our dinner at the seafood restuarant near the Causeway...juz before driving back ...since yr hubby loves crabs...their seafood there is fresh n cheap...also highly recommend to try their signature dish of "fried Vermicelli" ...This is one of the best fried bee hoon i ever tried...( a tad of oily though but really yummy!!)...
Last edited by Augmum on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres