Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby Jennifer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:39 pm

php wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Posting the following here instead of at Money as would like to hear from friends.

After I stopped working in 2000, I rely on hubby for pocket money. I did not n have not stashed a private fund.

He will be giving me a lump sum (I asked for $10,000) after I told him an aunt strongly advised me to hv a private fund.

Now, I am thinking I shld invest the money wisely.

What sort of risk adverse investment would you recommend?

can consider preference shares
for e.g. Genting, dividend is 5.125% pa.... they distribute twice per year...
unlike other bonds, don't need to have large sum of $$$ to invest......one lot only about $1k+ now.....so affordable to invest, risk is low and return definitely better than the 1% from bank....

don't need to monitor price at all, just leave the money there and collect your dividend.....

Preference shares, ah I forgot exactly what these r.

Other than Gentings, any other sure bets as in the company would close down ones?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:46 pm

Jennifer wrote:Did it rain at your place ytd?

Read in the newspapers that ytd has rain at some places.

I smelled rain in the air ytd afternoon, but there was no rain at our place here :cry:

Yes. But lasted only 15min

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby php » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Jennifer wrote:
php wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Posting the following here instead of at Money as would like to hear from friends.

After I stopped working in 2000, I rely on hubby for pocket money. I did not n have not stashed a private fund.

He will be giving me a lump sum (I asked for $10,000) after I told him an aunt strongly advised me to hv a private fund.

Now, I am thinking I shld invest the money wisely.

What sort of risk adverse investment would you recommend?

can consider preference shares
for e.g. Genting, dividend is 5.125% pa.... they distribute twice per year...
unlike other bonds, don't need to have large sum of $$$ to invest......one lot only about $1k+ now.....so affordable to invest, risk is low and return definitely better than the 1% from bank....

don't need to monitor price at all, just leave the money there and collect your dividend.....

Preference shares, ah I forgot exactly what these r.

Other than Gentings, any other sure bets as in the company would close down ones?

http://www.sgx.com/wps/portal/sgxweb/ho ... BIS9nQSEh/

there isn't many counters with fixed income....personally, Genting is a sure bet.....if you intend to invest in this counter, don't do it now.... the next distribution date is in Apr....so do it after the dividend distribution....price should be around $1.03+.....

important note, only invest this kind of counters if you have excess fund and you don't intend to use the fund for other purposes within the medium term.....otherwise, no point doing it....

php
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy OnABudget » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Jennifer wrote:
mummy OnABudget wrote:jen how do u care for sunflowers ar my sunflowers forever go to heaven very fast

I dunno leh. When I planted sunflower at Cashew Heights, they did not survive. I thought becos the balcony wall is too high :lol:

i really wonder isit cause our climate not suited anot lol i tried 4 times hor all go heaven so fast

mummy OnABudget
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby zbear » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Buying shares is very risky unless you park your $ in blue chips n collect dividends.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:46 pm

php wrote:
http://www.sgx.com/wps/portal/sgxweb/ho ... BIS9nQSEh/

there isn't many counters with fixed income....personally, Genting is a sure bet.....if you intend to invest in this counter, don't do it now.... the next distribution date is in Apr....so do it after the dividend distribution....price should be around $1.03+.....

important note, only invest this kind of counters if you have excess fund and you don't intend to use the fund for other purposes within the medium term.....otherwise, no point doing it....

Bro php, :thankyou:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:50 pm

zbear wrote:Buying shares is very risky unless you park your $ in blue chips n collect dividends.

Yalor, I dun want to buy shares to monitor. Too stressful. U hv any recommendation for affordable blue chips?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Raining now, started ard 5.25pm.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:41 pm

I know SPH is very good blue chip.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:10 pm

Jennifer wrote:
zbear wrote:Buying shares is very risky unless you park your $ in blue chips n collect dividends.

Yalor, I dun want to buy shares to monitor. Too stressful. U hv any recommendation for affordable blue chips?

Even buying of blue chips need to enter the market at the right timing, such as after a major correction....( unless, u are talking abt trading)
As blue chips are the components of STI, they track STI very closely, unlike small caps...
A correction in STI will drag yr blue chips down too....
The dividends earned may not cover yr paper loss....

Of coz, one can argue by saying that paper loss is paper loss...so long one holds on to the shares...
But u hv to deal with it emotionally of the unrealised loss n also lost of opportunity in other counters....

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres