Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby Jennifer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:01 pm

Augmum wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
zbear wrote:Buying shares is very risky unless you park your $ in blue chips n collect dividends.


Yalor, I dun want to buy shares to monitor. Too stressful. U hv any recommendation for affordable blue chips?

Even buying of blue chips need to enter the market at the right timing, such as after a major correction....( unless, u are talking abt trading)
As blue chips are the components of STI, they track STI very closely, unlike small caps...
A correction in STI will drag yr blue chips down too....
The dividends earned may not cover yr paper loss....

Of coz, one can argue by saying that paper loss is paper loss...so long one holds on to the shares...
But u hv to deal with it emotionally of the unrealised loss n also lost of opportunity in other counters....


Does blue chips give good dividends?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 25998
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 121


Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby TheAnswer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:19 am

zbear wrote:I know SPH is very good blue chip.


How to choose a good blue chip?

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 18044
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:15 pm
Total Likes: 30


Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby Funz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:01 am

Jen, I am following your thread for investment advise also. Haha

My agent recently suggested to me a 10yr plan. 30K premium a year for 5 yrs, after 10yrs, the returns if about $187K.

I am still wondering if I the returns is worth it. But I guess it beats leaving the money idling around.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 12190
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:48 pm
Total Likes: 334


Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby Imami » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:02 am

Funz wrote:Jen, I am following your thread for investment advise also. Haha

My agent recently suggested to me a 10yr plan. 30K premium a year for 5 yrs, after 10yrs, the returns if about $187K.

I am still wondering if I the returns is worth it. But I guess it beats leaving the money idling around.

But Funz, none of the $187k is guaranteed right?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11018
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm
Total Likes: 37


Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby TheAnswer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:04 am

Funz wrote:Jen, I am following your thread for investment advise also. Haha

My agent recently suggested to me a 10yr plan. 30K premium a year for 5 yrs, after 10yrs, the returns if about $187K.

I am still wondering if I the returns is worth it. But I guess it beats leaving the money idling around.


Well my agent suggested something similar recently too.. Still thinking.. The rewards sound too good to be true for mine :nailbite:

For yours, do check if they have MAS backing..

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 18044
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:15 pm
Total Likes: 30



Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby Funz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:16 am

Imami wrote:
Funz wrote:Jen, I am following your thread for investment advise also. Haha

My agent recently suggested to me a 10yr plan. 30K premium a year for 5 yrs, after 10yrs, the returns if about $187K.

I am still wondering if I the returns is worth it. But I guess it beats leaving the money idling around.

But Funz, none of the $187k is guaranteed right?


The premium return is guaranteed. But the extra is not.

So you will definitely get back the $150K but the $37K is not guaranteed.

This is essentially a savings plan more so than an investment plan.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 12190
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:48 pm
Total Likes: 334


Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby Jennifer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:28 am

Funz wrote:
Imami wrote:
Funz wrote:Jen, I am following your thread for investment advise also. Haha

My agent recently suggested to me a 10yr plan. 30K premium a year for 5 yrs, after 10yrs, the returns if about $187K.

I am still wondering if I the returns is worth it. But I guess it beats leaving the money idling around.

But Funz, none of the $187k is guaranteed right?


The premium return is guaranteed. But the extra is not.

So you will definitely get back the $150K but the $37K is not guaranteed.

This is essentially a savings plan more so than an investment plan.



If the extra is not at least x% guaranteed, then to be tied up for 10 years like not worth it?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 25998
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 121


Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby TheAnswer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:33 am

Jennifer wrote:Posting the following here instead of at Money as would like to hear from friends.

After I stopped working in 2000, I rely on hubby for pocket money. I did not n have not stashed a private fund.

He will be giving me a lump sum (I asked for $10,000) after I told him an aunt strongly advised me to hv a private fund.

Now, I am thinking I shld invest the money wisely.

What sort of risk adverse investment would you recommend?


Actually should have asked hubby for more.. Can diversify..
Ok.. I'm greedy :oops:
I should dig a hole and bury myself.. I just think that I should keep more money if I'm not working :imanangel:

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 18044
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:15 pm
Total Likes: 30


Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby Jennifer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 am

TheAnswer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Posting the following here instead of at Money as would like to hear from friends.

After I stopped working in 2000, I rely on hubby for pocket money. I did not n have not stashed a private fund.

He will be giving me a lump sum (I asked for $10,000) after I told him an aunt strongly advised me to hv a private fund.

Now, I am thinking I shld invest the money wisely.

What sort of risk adverse investment would you recommend?


Actually should have asked hubby for more.. Can diversify..
Ok.. I'm greedy :oops:
I should dig a hole and bury myself.. I just think that I should keep more money if I'm not working :imanangel:



Hahahaha

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 25998
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 121


Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby Funz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:44 am

Jennifer wrote:
If the extra is not at least x% guaranteed, then to be tied up for 10 years like not worth it?


That was what I was thinking as well. I have yet to dig out more information from the agent.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 12190
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:48 pm
Total Likes: 334


PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres