Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby Jennifer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:26 am

Imami wrote:
Jennifer wrote:回到家里,我呆坐了半天,是喜是悲,我分不清。

喜?能把今天做的事归纳于善事。不必再天马行空,捏造虚构的故事,可以少长几根白头发。

悲?那老人家蹲在那里的样子已在我心里刻了难以抹掉的烙印。

蔡老师,您为何出这道作业啊?

I had to back track to look for the earlier bits as I wasn't reading the pages closely. A good twist to the story from the third post onwards. The closing line is a surprise. Do tell us if teacher has any comments.

Edit to add: huh? So it wasn't by ah boy?!

Is the closing line acceptable? Hubby was laughing abt how I end the story. I also wonder what the reaction of the teacher would b if a student ends a compo in this manner. Does it sound rude or somehow inappropriate?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:30 am

During a counseling session, ah boy told the counsellor he is afraid of growing up as it also means there will b more responsibilities to take on. Peter Pan mentality?

The reason why I end the story with a qn to the teacher is the theme of compo n a supposedly to b ah boy's encounter with the old man on the street has ignited a spark to the growing up process.

I certainly hope he will one day meet such an old man.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:04 am

Jennifer wrote:Is the closing line acceptable? Hubby was laughing abt how I end the story. I also wonder what the reaction of the teacher would b if a student ends a compo in this manner. Does it sound rude or somehow inappropriate?

can. I did something like that in sec sch - asking the teacher point blank.

But I believe we need to take into account of the teacher's personality and how "gum" the teacher is with our kids. Specifically for this case, it's just a simple question. Teacher shd not 想太多 about it.

As for the growing up bit - since he can feel fear, means he roughly know how it will be like. And having some expectation means he has thought about it. Good, I think the growing process has kicked start, whether he knows it or not.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:28 am

Imami wrote:But I believe we need to take into account of the teacher's personality and how "gum" the teacher is with our kids. Specifically for this case, it's just a simple question. Teacher shd not 想太多 about it.

:thankyou: for the reminder.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 am

今天是个炎热的星期六。过了明天就开学了,我的心情自然有点沉重-不是因为天天要早起,也不是因为不喜欢去上学,而是因为我还没完成蔡老师交代的假期作文作业。

这项假期作文作业的题目是"我做的一件善事"。老实说,我只是一个未满十三岁的小孩子,平时只往学校,家里,补习中心,还有祖父母家跑。偶而父母亲会带我出外运动。这样的生活作息哪来的机会做善事呢?

正当我努力地绞尽脑汁时,电话铃声打断了我零乱的思路。

"ah boy 啊,今天我没时间煮晚餐。过一会,你去 The Big Bird 那里买四包鸡饭回来,明白吗?"

我答应了妈妈,反正待在家里也想不出什么,倒不如出去走走,可能会有灵感呢?

我踏着轻快的脚步走向前往巴士站,老早把作业这件事抛到脑后。

突然间,我看见一个衣着破旧的老人蹲在行人道旁。他有着一头零乱的白发,象干柴般的一双手,样子看起来不是很健康。他的面前放着一个小铁罐,看上去好像是在乞讨。

奇怪了,我从未在这附近见过这老人家,他是几时在这一带出现的呢?

一个念头闪过:我能做善事了!

把身上买晚餐的钱给他就是做善事。我只要把这件事情写在作文里,就能交差了。 想到这里,我忍不住咯咯地笑了起来。

有了这美妙的想法,我的心情顿时感到万分的轻松,好似充了气的汽球往天空飞去。我三步并成两步向那老人家走去。

就在我伸出手要把钱投入铁罐时,一个十分熟悉的声音轻轻地在我耳边说道:"钱给了他,晚餐怎么解决啊?"

汽球如没了活力,缓慢地坠落。

我猛然停下脚步,把手收回来, 心想:有其它的法子吗?

一辆巴士开进巴士站,我上了车。

到了 The Big Bird 我打包了三包加料的鸡饭和两碗加料的鸡肉通心粉,其中一碗还加了一粒鸡蛋。

那汽球又往上升起了。

我的心虽然一直碰碰地跳着,但那不是平时正常的节奏。我好像是要上台表演,而且是在毫无准备的情况下被人推上台的。

以往我都未曾觉得从 The Big Bird 搭巴士回家是一件耗时的事,今天的我有点怪喔。

车子就要停下来了,我的心跳得更急促了。

那老人家还在原来的地方。

"Uncle,请您吃。"

我把那包加了蛋的通心粉放在他的身旁,也把剩下来的钱投入罐子里。

老人家缓缓地睁开一双细小的眼睛,看了看那包食物,又看了看罐子,慢慢地举起头看了看我,张开了嘴巴,露出几颗发黄的牙齿,很小声地说了一声谢谢。

我的眼晴突然湿了。

回到家里,我呆坐了半天,是喜是悲,我分不清。

喜?能把今天做的事归纳于善事。不必再天马行空,捏造虚构的故事,可以少长几根白头发。

悲?那老人家蹲在那里的样子已在我心里刻了难以抹掉的烙印。

蔡老师,您为何出这道作业啊?

今晚我能入眠吗?

****made a few additions****

What is your take on a student memorising a compo for a major exam?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:47 am

Jennifer wrote:...

That depends on whether we think picture-perfect photocopied pictures are better than hand-drawn artwork.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

1 people like this post

Postby Jennifer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:18 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Jennifer wrote:...

That depends on whether we think picture-perfect photocopied pictures are better than hand-drawn artwork.

If u know self hand-drawn artwork surely CMI?

At the moment, we hv 3 plus years to prepare for the major 'O' lvl HCL exam at year 4. So no need to fret yet :wink: :xedfingers: we make good use of these 3 plus years.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:27 am

Jennifer wrote:If u know self hand-drawn artwork surely CMI?

At the moment, we hv 3 plus years to prepare for the major 'O' lvl HCL exam at year 4. So no need to fret yet :wink: :xedfingers: we make good use of these 3 plus years.

I don't know about other teachers, but when I mark essays, I tend to give those which I know are written by the students themselves a much higher grade compared to the ones which I know must have been cut and pasted from other sources. I do this even if the quality of the original answer is not as good as the copied ones.

So the rule is to ensure that the answer is your own, even if you may have incorporated ideas from others.

Personally, I never remember what I wrote myself, much less remember what others wrote! So memorising others' essays has never been an option for me :lol:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Jennifer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:33 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:Personally, I never remember what I wrote myself, much less remember what others wrote! So memorising others' essays has never been an option for me :lol:

:rotflmao:

I find the method is teaching CL compo more structured than elder boy's time. Hopefully, with the specific instructions, ah boy will build up the skill sets slowly.

The only issue left is to read more widely n learn how other writers use those skill sets.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:55 am

Jennifer wrote:elder boy finds sth missing if he does not work socks to sleep. It has become a routine that he even wears socks to sleep when he is at boarding or overseas programme. His roommate used to seeing him in socks before bedtime too.

Those 80% cotton socks are so worn out that they are very thin now which I doubt provide enough warmth, might be a comfort thing for him instead, like a toddler with his favourite bolster or nappy :rotflmao:

Jennifer, check with you-no intention to "wean" elder boy off the socks? I am asking because tofu boy has been wearing socks since infant time and still wearing. Even though he can go sock-less when sleeping, he would dutifully ask for them.

As he grows older, I am wondering if I shd wean him off socks for fear that his friends may laugh at him during eg sleepover, school camp etc. The female relatives and friends have been impressed though, that he continues to wear socks to sleep since it is actually a good habit.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres