Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Home

Postby Integer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Jennifer wrote:the first batch almost finished, left the white radish one. Tmr will buy chives for kimchi making.

I find these kimchi very handy when the boys finish the stir fry vegs. At least hubby n I have another source of veg :lol:

Ya, then u no need to fry 2x & mop 2x ... :lol:

Is the taste of yr kimchi like those in the Korean restaurants?

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Jennifer wrote:Elder boy just made a request for banana choco cake.

Anyone has an easy no egg separation recipe?

I am lousy at whipping egg whites, then the folding into yolk batter :(

What kind of banana choco cake is your Elder boy looking for the awfully chocolate kind of just a normal banana and chocolate flavoured cake?

Can try this recipe. Looks easy enough. I have not tried it though it is in my recipe bank. You try and let me know if it is worth making. :wink:

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp baking soda
1 Stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup sugar
½ cup (packed) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed
¾ cup buttermilk
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped, or ½ cup store-bought chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180ºC).

Butter a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and place it on an insulated baking sheet or on two regular baking sheets stacked one on top of the other.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda.

Working with a stand mixer, preferable fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter at medium speed for about a minute, until softened.

Add the sugars and beat for 2 minutes more. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each addition. At this point, the batter may look a little curdled-it’s okay.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the mashed bananas. Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions, mixing only until they disappear into the batter. Still on low speed, add the buttermilk, mixing until it is incorporated. Stir in the chopped chocolate. Scrape the batter into the pan.

Bake for 30 minutes. Cover the bread loosely with a foil tent to keep the top from getting too dark, and continue to bake for another 40 to 45 minutes (total baking time is between 70 to 75 minutes), or until a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for at least 20 minutes before running a knife around the edges of the bread and unmolding it. Invert and cool at room temperature right side up.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jjxy mum » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Not that you are lousy, is that you haven't got hold of that KA.. :wink:

How I wish I have one... :roll:

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Integer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Quoted fm dimsum thread...
Jennifer wrote:Hubby n I love to eat dimsum. Made a promise to bring me for dimsum w/o the kids since they dun really like.

Haven't read abt u eating dimsum recently...

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Integer wrote:Quoted fm dimsum thread...
Jennifer wrote:Hubby n I love to eat dimsum. Made a promise to bring me for dimsum w/o the kids since they dun really like.

Yalor, wanted to go to the one at Marina but no chance yet. Hubby busy attending Hungry Ghost Festival prayer sessions.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Integer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Jennifer wrote:
Integer wrote:Quoted fm dimsum thread...

Yalor, wanted to go to the one at Marina but no chance yet. Hubby busy attending Hungry Ghost Festival prayer sessions.

How come so many to attend? His biz associates' invitations?

Ytd nite we drove past some industrial area & there's a 歌台.. told DH the compere must be 陈建宾 cos can see the person is v.short ... :razz:

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Funz wrote:

What kind of banana choco cake is your Elder boy looking for the awfully chocolate kind of just a normal banana and chocolate flavoured cake?

Can try this recipe. Looks easy enough. I have not tried it though it is in my recipe bank. You try and let me know if it is worth making. :wink:

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp baking soda
1 Stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup sugar
½ cup (packed) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed
¾ cup buttermilk
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped, or ½ cup store-bought chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180ºC).

Butter a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and place it on an insulated baking sheet or on two regular baking sheets stacked one on top of the other.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda.

Working with a stand mixer, preferable fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter at medium speed for about a minute, until softened.

Add the sugars and beat for 2 minutes more. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each addition. At this point, the batter may look a little curdled-it’s okay.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the mashed bananas. Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions, mixing only until they disappear into the batter. Still on low speed, add the buttermilk, mixing until it is incorporated. Stir in the chopped chocolate. Scrape the batter into the pan.

Bake for 30 minutes. Cover the bread loosely with a foil tent to keep the top from getting too dark, and continue to bake for another 40 to 45 minutes (total baking time is between 70 to 75 minutes), or until a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for at least 20 minutes before running a knife around the edges of the bread and unmolding it. Invert and cool at room temperature right side up.

Funz, there is another thing I am lousy in :lol: I can't do measuring in cups :imsorry:

:wink:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Integer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Yalor, wanted to go to the one at Marina but no chance yet. Hubby busy attending Hungry Ghost Festival prayer sessions.

How come so many to attend? His biz associates' invitations?

Ytd nite we drove past some industrial area & there's a 歌台.. told DH the compere must be 陈建宾 cos can see the person is v.short ... :razz:

Other than these, he was away twice this month.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:16 pm

Integer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:the first batch almost finished, left the white radish one. Tmr will buy chives for kimchi making.

I find these kimchi very handy when the boys finish the stir fry vegs. At least hubby n I have another source of veg :lol:

Ya, then u no need to fry 2x & mop 2x ... :lol:

Is the taste of yr kimchi like those in the Korean restaurants?

Less sour, less spicy :wink:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:16 pm

i have a measuring thingy with cups, ml, quart, all in one. if you do not have one, try this....

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres