Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby Imami » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:27 am

Jennifer wrote:
Imami wrote:Hee... Been quite busy lately. The little one started piano lesson, tennis lesson and swimming. This mother is with him while he attends his lessons. I feel a strain, really no time to sit and watch tv. Ask him if he is tired, too many classes, can cope or not, the little imp's eyes are so bright with excitement. Aiya, so long as he rests well, is healthy and happy, can la, whatever he wants.

I still read ksp posts almost daily but I don't post a lot. In fact, as Little as I can.

There was an article in the ST some time ago, about a young mother who signed up a few enrichment lessons for the little son at the little son's request.  The issue of idle time for self discovery was raised.  With self discovery, creativity n imagination will be aroused.  Too much structured activities, no matter how well loved by the little one, was not encouraged.  So, do balance out structured and non-structured activities.  :wink:

Oh is it, I must have missed this article. But I know about this thing about the need for idle time. Many months back, there was this parenting magazine article which mentioned about how much is too much (enrichment classes). In it it says if the kid asks about what he/she should do during idle time, it is highly possible that the kid has too many classes (so much so that he/she doesn't know what to do when there is idle time). 

This (whether too much or not), I have to say is something that I hv to balance but I probably won't know how well I have balanced. It is the last two years of his preschool life. I just want him to Enjoy the two years before he goes to primary school. In terms of enrichment classes, the newly added ones are strictly non academic. Most of them are outdoor sports eg tennis and swimming. I am beginning to feel that his life is a little too inactive, hence I support his request to join his buddies for tennis lessons. It is a pte class taught by a friend. The students are all my son's friends.

I personally is concerned about his schedule. These few weeks see many changes in his schedule - make up lessons, terminating classes, signed up new classes, moving classes from one time slot to another. I also took leave to keep him at home, so that he has more play time and sleep time. 

As for swimming lessons, they are taught by myself. Definitely have flexibility.

In any case, I get what you mean, Jennifer :hugs: thanks for the reminder. I will watch him and the Situation closely.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:38 am

Jen, TA,

Thank you for your concern :grphug:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:38 pm

Met the oldest nephew (17 mths), so so cute n can act too. See ah boy pretending to sleep, he also falls back on the sofa :rotflmao: Point here n there to get the grandpa to bring him around. Hearty laughs and sweet smiles. :smile:

Second nephew (16 mths plus), still wary of people.

Third nephew (just turned 12 months recently) - heard from the granny, bit serious type.

Baby nephew, oh boy, what powerful voice box n impatience.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:41 pm

Jennifer wrote:Met the oldest nephew (17 mths), so so cute n can act too. See ah boy pretending to sleep, he also falls back on the sofa :rotflmao: Point here n there to get the grandpa to bring him around. Hearty laughs and sweet smiles. :smile:

Third nephew (just turned 12 months recently) - heard from the granny, bit serious type.

4 cute boys. what a wonderful way spend a saturday lunch! :please:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:18 pm

Jennifer wrote:I emailed on Mon evening, got a reply on Tues, paid on Wed and got the assessment this morning.

The original compo is marked, with remarks and comments. The assessment letter is divided into 2 parts: Structural Features and Language Features.

Under Structural Features:
Setting
Characters
Complication (Problem in the narrative)
Climax
Resolution (How the problem was solved)
Dialogue/Monologues

Under Language Features:
Vivid descriptions through the use of adjectives, adverbs, similes and metaphors
Punctuation
Paragraphing
Subject-Verb agreement
Tenses
Sentence structures
Spelling

Within each of the above, remarks on areas well done as well as areas that can be improved are provided in an encouraging manner.

An overall comments - 11 lines written.

Marks - Content, Language and Organisation

I think the service is quite professional. My 1st time using such service.

was thinking of doing same for my dd. how do u choose which compo to send in? are the marks close to what your ds got? how much does it cost?

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:31 pm

Ah boy so happened had a recent compo marked n returned n typed. So I sent this compo, $20

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:32 pm

Sch teacher gave 32 . After correction n some adjustments 34 by the QW

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:34 pm

Jennifer wrote:Ah boy so happened had a recent compo marked n returned n typed. So I sent this compo, $20

thank you. are the marks given by them close to what ah boy got?

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:41 pm

Jennifer wrote:Sch teacher gave 32 . After correction n some adjustments 34 by the QW

maybe i'll wait till i get back dd's prelims compo.

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:50 pm

Jennifer wrote:Met the oldest nephew (17 mths), so so cute n can act too. See ah boy pretending to sleep, he also falls back on the sofa :rotflmao: Point here n there to get the grandpa to bring him around. Hearty laughs and sweet smiles. :smile:

Jennifer,
You need another baby :wink:

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres