Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Busymom » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:19 pm

:thankyou: Schweppes.

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Busymom » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:57 pm

schweppes wrote:
Busymom wrote:My DH insisted no washing :sad: Think he told the maids to wipe with kitchen paper towels only. Think I need to go research a bit on internet.

I feel very uncomfortable that it is sitting inside the cabinet unwashed...

:scared: :faint:

if the pot turns green and start to glow in the dark..... :sick: :nailbite: :siam: :duck:

It's a cast iron skillet... Very heavy.

Ok, I was mistaken. Can wash with water but not with soap. I think I got the impression it wasn't washed because it looks dirty and oily, with a piece of kitchen paper towel stuck on top, half torn and looking brownish with oil like a layer of dried skin... :sick:

Schweppes, you are thinking of buying one of these? How do you intend to wash it after using?

Some tips for cleaning a cast iron skillet.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-clean-a ... chn-107747
Last edited by Busymom on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Busymom » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Jennifer wrote:
Curious about your raw cast iron pan? How to clean after cooking? We used to hv the old fashion traditional cast iron wok, I would clean with diluted soapy water. The surface will still feel bit 油油的. Never rust ah.

Did you ever have to oil the wok after washing? And although 油油的, you still kept it in the cabinet with other pots and pans? This is the part that I couldn't get used to.

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Busymom wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Curious about your raw cast iron pan? How to clean after cooking? We used to hv the old fashion traditional cast iron wok, I would clean with diluted soapy water. The surface will still feel bit 油油的. Never rust ah.

Did you ever have to oil the wok after washing? And although 油油的, you still kept it in the cabinet with other pots and pans? This is the part that I couldn't get used to.

Our kitchen then was the old fashion type with the area below the sink exposed. We put a S hook around the pipe and let the wok hang there to air.

We used the wok almost daily, so there was no need to oil it after each wash. It was very seasoned.

MIL kitchen is in the back yard, her woks also hang from hooks nailed onto the wall.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:31 pm

I was at Jem NTUC Extra this morning. Now I hv 9 coupons.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Busymom wrote:
It's a cast iron skillet... Very heavy.

Schweppes, you are thinking of buying one of these? How do you intend to wash it after using?

Some tips for cleaning a cast iron skillet.
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-clean-a ... chn-107747

Was tempted to get the skillet as I saw some recipes that require the use of the skillet and which can be transferred to the oven after stove use. One dish was the baked-eggs over spinach (which I submitted for the ksp birthday cook-out fun but I used the happy call instead as no skillet).

Was also thinking can make paella with the skillet. Tangs was having a 50% discount promo recently but managed to exercise self-control :sweat: :sweat: So saved some money.

Another LC cookware that caught my eye was the tagine. But will not get this as it's too pricey. The tagine is useful to make some lovely Moroccan or Middle Eastern dishes, and side dishes can include hummus (or mashed chickpeas), tzatziki (finely diced mint + cucumber with yoghurt) and baba ganoush (cooked eggplant with olive oil & tomatoes).

Thanks for providing the link. If I do get this, will wash as per the cleaning instructions. If there's food residue stuck to base, will likely boil water in the skillet. I find that this helps to remove the residue.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Jennifer wrote:I was at Jem NTUC Extra this morning. Now I hv 9 coupons.

Do u intend to get the casseroles or those oval/rectangle dishes, Jennifer?

I quite like the smallest sized oval dishes too. Can make baked rice with that for individual servings.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Imami » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:11 pm

schweppes wrote:

Do u intend to get the casseroles or those oval/rectangle dishes, Jennifer?

I quite like the smallest sized oval dishes too. Can make baked rice with that for individual servings.

Thats the ones I am aiming for initially. Will still be getting them.

Great for baked dishes in individual portions.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby qms » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:29 pm

I have more than 16 coupons already. Do you want them? I can give them to you.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Imami » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:43 pm

qms wrote:

I have more than 16 coupons already. Do you want them? I can give them to you.

How come you not buying?

Just to share (maybe you all already know la), giant also having pans promo. All I could remember was purchase $20 to get 1 stamp. Not sure about the range available or if need to top up.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres