Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Jennifer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:58 pm

Imami wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Higher chance of SAHM behaving like a broken record?

:laugh:

Seriously, no. Unless you count the time I am trying to be funny.

You not counted, just quit job recently.

I am referring to SAHM who quit job for donkey years, like me.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:00 am

Jennifer wrote:
Imami wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Higher chance of SAHM behaving like a broken record?

:laugh:

Seriously, no. Unless you count the time I am trying to be funny.

You not counted, just quit job recently.

I am referring to SAHM who quit job for donkey years, like me.

As in nagging? Or in repeating the same story many times? I am guilty of repeating the same story, but I think that is age. Even my FTWM friends tell me that their kids say they tell the same story many times. As for nagging, I have to control myself!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:59 am

slmkhoo wrote:As in nagging? Or in repeating the same story many times? I am guilty of repeating the same story, but I think that is age. Even my FTWM friends tell me that their kids say they tell the same story many times. As for nagging, I have to control myself!

Your girls r sensible n responsible. Maybe your elder girl needs more reminder.

Ah boy is my big headache.

I dun remind, he forgets, the trouble passes back to me.

What do you do when the child whines?

I end up more angry.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:35 am

Jennifer wrote:Ah boy is my big headache.

I end up more angry.

I don't allow them to whine. From the time they were small, I told them to go away from me when they whined and then I would ignore them. So I think they now know that whining doesn't work. I have usually refused to bail them out when they forget things, unless it's really quite life-and-death or it wasn't their fault. So again, they know that they need to keep track of their own affairs. I do also keep track (quietly), so will remind once or twice if it's an important issue, but otherwise I let them suffer if they forget. They had enough experiences when they were younger and issues were not important (at worst, a scolding from a teacher, some marks deducted, detention if they were late etc).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:59 am

Jennifer wrote:Met ah boy's primary schoolmate's mummy on the bus.

Her eldest boy is one year older than elder boy.

He will be undergoing a major surgery to correct a S shaped spine.

During the sch medical checkup at sec 2, nothing was wrong.

Mummy has no idea how the condition happens.

Please keep this boy in your prayers.

I just heard something similar from a friend about his nephew! How could this happen?? Friend's case was they were aware of a slight curve but was told to wait to see if the child would outgrow it. This year, the boy (now 17) has suddenly been told it is very bad, he needs to wear a brace.

Between a slight curve and a brace and worse, an operation, aren't there chiropractitoners/osteopaths and exercise based corrective actions (eg serious Pilates) that will help? a curved spine can lead to muscular imbalances which will in turn worsen the curve. A curved spine can also lead to pinched nerves and other offshoot pains and poor sleep.

I was very aghast when I heard my friend's account but this is even worse. Please do not wait for children to "outgrow" a curved spine. It will not happen unless it is very mild and the child does a physical activity eg swimming that helps to balance the supporting muscles and somehow corrects it.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:04 pm

Jennifer wrote:

Depending on the cause and situation, I will cajole or ignore. If I know they are just tired or hungry, I give them food or tell them to go and rest.

If we are on the road when this happens, I tell them nothing can be done, so they have to take it like a man and not inflict their pain on others.

If they just want something that is not going to happen, I just tell them so and ignore them.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:19 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Ah boy is my big headache.

I end up more angry.

I don't allow them to whine. From the time they were small, I told them to go away from me when they whined and then I would ignore them. So I think they now know that whining doesn't work. I have usually refused to bail them out when they forget things, unless it's really quite life-and-death or it wasn't their fault. So again, they know that they need to keep track of their own affairs. I do also keep track (quietly), so will remind once or twice if it's an important issue, but otherwise I let them suffer if they forget. They had enough experiences when they were younger and issues were not important (at worst, a scolding from a teacher, some marks deducted, detention if they were late etc).

Unfortunately, these days, they do not suffer as the teachers do not really scold or punish them when they forget stuff.

DS who is quite a stickler for rules still gets all panicky and worried so letting him stew in his worry is about punishment enough.

DD has figured out since the beginning of time that at most, she gets a earful from her teachers and life goes on so she hardly breaks a sweat if she forgets stuff. It is when Mummy or Daddy finds out that she will be in more trouble and even then, at most, privileges are removed for a week or 2.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Jennifer wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:As in nagging? Or in repeating the same story many times? I am guilty of repeating the same story, but I think that is age. Even my FTWM friends tell me that their kids say they tell the same story many times. As for nagging, I have to control myself!

Your girls r sensible n responsible. Maybe your elder girl needs more reminder.

Ah boy is my big headache.

I end up more angry.

Most of the time their whining is about how tedious/tough/boring a particular piece of work is or how they wanted to watch some programme but the other one wants another programme and both cannot agree, etc.

I try to be patient and reason with them. But if they continue to whine I will tell them off. They know how far and how much they can push so usually up to a point they know to basically shut up and do what needs to be done or end up having some privileges removed.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Imami » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:58 pm

Jennifer wrote:

I end up more angry.

same here. I can't stand whining. I just get even more irritated :nunchuk:

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:06 pm

Was at STUD this afternoon.

The learning facilities r impressive. All sorts of factory machines, 3d printer. Very hands-on learning experience.

A classroom has white boards on all sides with overhead projectors. A typical class has 1 professor and 3 other teaching staff whom students can immediately ask for assistance for clarifications. Ratio is 1 to 11.

Boarding rooms is either 1 or 2 with ceiling fans n aircon. Can put a bar fridge in the room. Laundry on your own. Kitchen with induction cooker, oven. Pantry equipped with hot/cold water dispenser and microwave oven. $300 to $400 per month, excludes meals and laundry.

The school offers 4 pillars = faculties in other uni. But forx no. of months, (think it was printed 1.5 years, hope I did not remember wrongly here), all students attend same set of subjects with exposure to each pillar. Then at the end of this period, the students then make a choice among the 4 pillars.

There is a graduating module which involves a project with students from another pillar.

There is a list of research topics to choose from. Est each student will b involved in 20 projects throughout the 3.5 years with SUTD. Student also can apply to do a project that is not on the list as long as the proposal is accepted.

We saw a few young looking teaching staff whom we were told are PhD holders.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres