Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby xxmummy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:02 am

Hi

Am a big fan of Agatha Christie and Hercule Poirot :love:. Got nearly all her whodunit books...all from second hand bookstores. 2 of my favourites are Five Little Pigs and Sad Cypress. Would love to have all her mystery books on my Kindle but it's going to be :moneyflies:.

Image

I also enjoy Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine books but hers are definitely more dark and sinister.

Cheers!

xxmummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:52 pm
Total Likes: 15


Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Jennifer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:52 pm

xxmummy wrote:Hi

Am a big fan of Agatha Christie and Hercule Poirot :love:. Got nearly all her whodunit books...all from second hand bookstores. 2 of my favourites are Five Little Pigs and Sad Cypress. Would love to have all her mystery books on my Kindle but it's going to be :moneyflies:.

Image

I also enjoy Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine books but hers are definitely more dark and sinister.

Cheers!



:udawoman:

I m a beginner reader of her books :smile:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 25816
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 121


Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Jennifer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Few more days to April, 1st.

:xedfingers: no bad jokes.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 25816
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 121


Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:21 pm

Jennifer wrote:
xxmummy wrote:Hi

Am a big fan of Agatha Christie and Hercule Poirot :love:. Got nearly all her whodunit books...all from second hand bookstores. 2 of my favourites are Five Little Pigs and Sad Cypress. Would love to have all her mystery books on my Kindle but it's going to be :moneyflies:.

Image

I also enjoy Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine books but hers are definitely more dark and sinister.

Cheers!


:udawoman:

I m a beginner reader of her books :smile:

There are lots in NLB, and as ebooks too. I used to have a huge collection of Agatha Christie books but they got whittled down as we kept packing and moving. Also, a lot of the old ones on non-acid-free paper just disintegrated!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10638
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 195


Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Jennifer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:39 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
xxmummy wrote:Hi

Am a big fan of Agatha Christie and Hercule Poirot :love:. Got nearly all her whodunit books...all from second hand bookstores. 2 of my favourites are Five Little Pigs and Sad Cypress. Would love to have all her mystery books on my Kindle but it's going to be :moneyflies:.

Image

I also enjoy Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine books but hers are definitely more dark and sinister.

Cheers!


:udawoman:

I m a beginner reader of her books :smile:

There are lots in NLB, and as ebooks too. I used to have a huge collection of Agatha Christie books but they got whittled down as we kept packing and moving. Also, a lot of the old ones on non-acid-free paper just disintegrated!


Disintegrated?

How did it look like?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 25816
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 121



Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Jennifer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:02 pm

Raining very heavily now.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 25816
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 121


Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby zbear » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Jennifer wrote:Raining very heavily now.



Although I welcome the rain, this time round, I feel very depressed becos of LKY's condition.

It makes me feel the country is crying for him.

:cry:

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 pm
Total Likes: 66


Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Jennifer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:12 pm

zbear wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Raining very heavily now.



Although I welcome the rain, this time round, I feel very depressed becos of LKY's condition.

It makes me feel the country is crying for him.

:cry:


When time is up, everyone will go.

I dun feel sad as I do not know him personally.

I feel sad cos I received bad news from a dear friend. I briefly know this friend's dad as I worked for him for a short while during a exhibition. He treated me very well.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 25816
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 121


Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:25 pm

Jennifer wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:There are lots in NLB, and as ebooks too. I used to have a huge collection of Agatha Christie books but they got whittled down as we kept packing and moving. Also, a lot of the old ones on non-acid-free paper just disintegrated!


Disintegrated?

How did it look like?

The pages of old paperbacks will turn yellow with age, and after 20+yrs, the yellow turns brown. The pages also get very brittle and will tear or break easily, and the glue on the spine will give way too. So eventually, you get a bunch of crumbly pages which don't stick to the cover, and no glue or scotch tape can help. When they get to that point, we just discard them.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10638
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 195


Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Jennifer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:30 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:There are lots in NLB, and as ebooks too. I used to have a huge collection of Agatha Christie books but they got whittled down as we kept packing and moving. Also, a lot of the old ones on non-acid-free paper just disintegrated!


Disintegrated?

How did it look like?

The pages of old paperbacks will turn yellow with age, and after 20+yrs, the yellow turns brown. The pages also get very brittle and will tear or break easily, and the glue on the spine will give way too. So eventually, you get a bunch of crumbly pages which don't stick to the cover, and no glue or scotch tape can help. When they get to that point, we just discard them.



How to take care of books then?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 25816
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 121


PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres