Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Jennifer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:47 am

slmkhoo wrote:My kids don't enjoy the books I enjoyed- mystery/crime and historical.

Please share what historical books u have read.

I used to read those about the England Kings and Queens.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 am

Jennifer wrote:
schweppes wrote:Used to love reading Agatha Christie's books. I had to control myself from flipping to the back to find the whodunit :wink: Have introduced her books to dd1. Your postings here make me want to visit nlb to reread AC's books again

:hi5:

me too, except that I always flipped to the end to find out who did it.

Elder boy is upset with this habit of mine :rotflmao: I told him to not bother me :wink:

I left one book at home now. Must go to the library to get more.

Almost spat out my tea laughing when I read this :rotflmao:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:58 am

I don't read Agatha Christie. Maybe I should start. I always flip to the last page to read the ending first to decide if it is worth the read. I hate bad endings :) The fun is in the journey, and not the end.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby schweppes » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:00 am

Jennifer wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:My kids don't enjoy the books I enjoyed- mystery/crime and historical.

Please share, slmkhoo. Wd love to know what historical books you read. Hope not top cheem tho :sweat:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:06 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:I don't read Agatha Christie. Maybe I should start. I always flip to the last page to read the ending first to decide if it is worth the read. I hate bad endings :) The fun is in the journey, and not the end.

For a more fun and manageable whodunit read, can try reading Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling). Good plot and sense of humour in the writing. Her 1st book (post Harry Potter era) is Cuckoo's Calling, followed by The Silkworm.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:20 am

schweppes wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Please share, slmkhoo. Wd love to know what historical books you read. Hope not top cheem tho :sweat:

Off the top of my head, the ones I really like were Ellis Peters' Cadfael series (mystery and historical), Dorothy Sayers Peter Wimsey series (mystery and historical by today's standards, but were contemporary when she wrote!), and Anne Perry's Pitt and Monk series (mystery & Victorian). Straight history ones - some of Georgette Heyer's novels, James Michener, Edward Robinson (both these writers write really thick tomes, so they are big undertakings). I'm currently reading a series by Steve Berry which is a bit too "James Bond" for my taste, but involves various periods of history so I read it for that. I tend to browse a lot of try whatever seems likely.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:25 am

schweppes wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
schweppes wrote:Used to love reading Agatha Christie's books. I had to control myself from flipping to the back to find the whodunit :wink: Have introduced her books to dd1. Your postings here make me want to visit nlb to reread AC's books again

My kids don't enjoy the books I enjoyed- mystery/crime and historical. I introduced authors I enjoyed at various points in the past, but they have different tastes. So sad!

I know right?!! In the same situation too. When they were younger (pre and teen years), tried hard to introduce them the books I used to enjoy but they have their own tastes. But I keep trying.

dd1 likes fantasy type books, definitely not my kind of read. Of late, it's evolving to more general reads.

dd2 is less of a reader :spank: Seems to take her forever to finish a book. But I noticed she likes those autobiography type books. Recently finished "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch and "I am Malala"

I remembered complaining to a friend that my girls did not enjoy books by Enid Blyton or the types of books I used to enjoy reading. He commented that that times are different now and the books now are written more for the current generation. More importantly, at least they are reading than not at all. I thought that made a lot of sense.

Still, there are certain genres of books I tell them to stay away from. 50 shades of grey type books being on the banned list at home.

My older girl likes fantasy, but we encourage her to read more "real life" stories to keep her grounded. My younger one reads more real-life stories, but will read some fantasy too. Neither read the stuff I like! My girls are now 18 and almost 16, so I'm not controlling their reading these days, but they have the good sense (I hope) to avoid things that are not suitable. They know I have strong opinions about what I would like them to avoid, and they will talk to me first if they think a book is dubious. I used to vet books before they read them, but stopped doing it a few years ago.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:26 am

slmkhoo wrote:Off the top of my head, the ones I really like were Ellis Peters' Cadfael series (mystery and historical), Dorothy Sayers Peter Wimsey series (mystery and historical by today's standards, but were contemporary when she wrote!), and Anne Perry's Pitt and Monk series (mystery & Victorian). Straight history ones - some of Georgette Heyer's novels, James Michener, Edward Robinson (both these writers write really thick tomes, so they are big undertakings). I'm currently reading a series by Steve Berry which is a bit too "James Bond" for my taste, but involves various periods of history so I read it for that. I tend to browse a lot of try whatever seems likely.

:thankyou:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:38 am

slmkhoo wrote:Off the top of my head, the ones I really like were Ellis Peters' Cadfael series (mystery and historical), Dorothy Sayers Peter Wimsey series (mystery and historical by today's standards, but were contemporary when she wrote!), and Anne Perry's Pitt and Monk series (mystery & Victorian). Straight history ones - some of Georgette Heyer's novels, James Michener, Edward Robinson (both these writers write really thick tomes, so they are big undertakings). I'm currently reading a series by Steve Berry which is a bit too "James Bond" for my taste, but involves various periods of history so I read it for that. I tend to browse a lot of try whatever seems likely.

Thanks for sharing. Will keep a look out on my next visit to nlb :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:39 am

I read AC when I was in primary school. But move on to Sweet Valley High when I went to Sec Sch. :lol: Wonder why.

Kiddos did not take to her books.

DS is into mythology, reading a lot of Rick Riordan books. DD is into the Veronica Roth series, Divergent, Insurgent and Allegiant. Before that was Maze Runner.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres